Sorry for the OT but driving around listening to the somber news of QEII and ...

Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, first of all, my joke about fighting extradition obviously blew right past most everyone.

But, second, I have no antipathy for Elizabeth. I think she's remarkable in a lot of ways. But this sort of vicarious mourning through wall-to-wall coverage of this event struck me as over-the-top.

I'm not one of these people dancing on her grave. I'm repulsed by that, to be honest. But I mean it when I say, rather than being sad at her passing, I'm just giving her two thumbs up on the way out the door and thinking there might be two or three people in the history of the world who had it better. Good job, Elizabeth. Well done.

I had this same exact thought yesterday.  She really did win the lottery many times over compared to your average human in history.  It's hard to beat:

-Born in the modern era (access to indoor plumbing, quick travel via cars and airplanes, modern medicine, etc)

-Born in a wealthy, developed nation

-Married SEVENTY-FOUR years to a loving and supportive spouse.  Read that again.  Seventy-four year marriage.

-Had four children, maintained a strong relationship with each of them into adulthood, and all of her children are still alive and healthy.

-Prior to her death, QEII's worst health issue was a knee surgery.  So not only did she live 96 years, she lived 96 years of absolutely amazing health.

Taking the whole born-into-royalty thing out of the equation, she still lived one of the absolute best lives possible.  Literally in the top 0.01% of human lives ever.  And then when you add in the royal component it is just ludicrous.  And then when you consider that she lived as a royal AFTER all the real responsibilities (and stress) have been given to Parliament, PM, etc...

How do you top that life?  I don't think you can even find 2 or 3 people who lived a more charmed life.  She literally just lived the GOAT life in all of human existence.  Cannot be topped.

26 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I had this same exact thought yesterday.  She really did win the lottery many times over compared to your average human in history.  It's hard to beat:

-Born in the modern era (access to indoor plumbing, quick travel via cars and airplanes, modern medicine, etc)

-Married SEVENTY-FOUR years to a loving and supportive spouse.  Read that again.  Seventy-four year marriage.

-Had four children, maintained a strong relationship with each of them into adulthood, and all of her children are still alive and healthy.

-Prior to her death, QEII's worst health issue was a knee surgery.  So not only did she live 96 years, she lived 96 years of absolutely amazing health.

Taking the whole born-into-royalty thing out of the equation, she still lived one of the absolute best lives possible.  Literally in the top 0.01% of human lives ever.  And then when you add in the royal component it is just ludicrous.  And then when you consider that she lived as a royal AFTER all the real responsibilities (and stress) have been given to Parliament, PM, etc...

How do you top that life?  I don't think you can even find 2 or 3 people who lived a more charmed life.  She literally just lived the GOAT life in all of human existence.  Cannot be topped.

You and I seem to be on the exact same wavelength on this.

I mean, anyone born before the industrialized age, who didn't have access to reliable electric lighting, air conditioning, etc., is automatically at least a category beneath HRM Queen Elizabeth. Andrew Carnegie? Schmuck. Sure, he had a nice house, but he never knew what air conditioning felt like.

Ah, you're extremely wealthy AND you grew up in the modern era with air conditioning and all the modern conveniences. But did you spend your summers in a place like Balmoral Castle? With a staff waiting on you hand and foot?

Alright. So, your last name is Walton. Or Ford. Or Hilton. And you have a virtually inexhaustible trust fund. Great.

OK, but how's your health? And your marriage? And did you live to 96 basically with your wits about you the whole time before drifting peacefully into the great beyond?

I mean, the lady who inherited the L'Oréal fortune is doing pretty well, but the list is very, very short.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

You forgot to mention that she wasn't a Husker hoops fan. That probably got her an extra 2 or 3 years of life, an extra 8 to 10 years of having her mind intact.

13 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, first of all, my joke about fighting extradition obviously blew right past most everyone.

But, second, I have no antipathy for Elizabeth. I think she's remarkable in a lot of ways. But this sort of vicarious mourning through wall-to-wall coverage of this event struck me as over-the-top.

I'm not one of these people dancing on her grave. I'm repulsed by that, to be honest. But I mean it when I say, rather than being sad at her passing, I'm just giving her two thumbs up on the way out the door and thinking there might be two or three people in the history of the world who had it better. Good job, Elizabeth. Well done.

That makes sense, Norm. Sorry if I overreacted. I don't usually watch too much news and just read things online. Thanks for explaining.