Sorry for the OT but driving around listening to the somber news of QEII and ...

Norm Peterson

Why are all these news stations reporting like oh, the poor family, and the end is near, and oh, this is tragic?

WHAT?! She's 96 years old! And she was the frickin' QUEEN! Of ENGLAND! She got a hell of a lot longer time than most people do and most of that time came while she was the QUEEN! Of ENGLAND!

Don't let me hear any of that "thoughts and prayers" stuff. Save that for some 40-year-old brick layer who got taken out by a drunk driver and leaves behind a wife and 4 kids.

When Betty shuffles off, just give her a high-5 on the way out the door and say "dayum, girl, you did it good."

/vent

20 minutes ago, 49r said:

Most people alive today have only known a single monarch in the United Kingdom and across the Commonwealth.  Strange to think that today, for the first time in almost everyone's life, a new person has ascended to the throne.

Yeah, up until just now, 90% of the royal subjects have only sung "God Save the King" in jest.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Why are all these news stations reporting like oh, the poor family, and the end is near, and oh, this is tragic?

WHAT?! She's 96 years old! And she was the frickin' QUEEN! Of ENGLAND! She got a hell of a lot longer time than most people do and most of that time came while she was the QUEEN! Of ENGLAND!

Don't let me hear any of that "thoughts and prayers" stuff. Save that for some 40-year-old brick layer who got taken out by a drunk driver and leaves behind a wife and 4 kids.

When Betty shuffles off, just give her a high-5 on the way out the door and say "dayum, girl, you did it good."

/vent

@Norm Peterson I think there are a certain number of people around the world who naively believed that the queen would always be with us, Boris Johnson noted this in his words this afternoon.  But you're right, there's no need for shock or surprise or sadness for myriad reasons.  Most importantly:

1).  She's not *our* queen.  America fought a damn war to rid itself from tyranny, so any allegiance to the royal family for us is purely symbolic

2).  She was old.  Like...REALLY old.  If I live to 96 I will count myself among the most luckiest people in the world and I didn't even get to be effectively the ruler of the world for 75% of my life either

But having that said, I think it is still cool that we can be witness to and even embrace old traditions such as these, and for me it's fascinating to watch the whole thing in its process.  But yeah, like you I can't say that I'm really broken up about the whole thing.  I was really sad to hear about Princess Di, but this...meh not so much.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

@Norm Peterson I think there are a certain number of people around the world who naively believed that the queen would always be with us, Boris Johnson noted this in his words this afternoon.  But you're right, there's no need for shock or surprise or sadness for myriad reasons.  Most importantly:

1).  She's not *our* queen.  America fought a damn war to rid itself from tyranny, so any allegiance to the royal family for us is purely symbolic

2).  She was old.  Like...REALLY old.  If I live to 96 I will count myself among the most luckiest people in the world and I didn't even get to be effectively the ruler of the world for 75% of my life either

But having that said, I think it is still cool that we can be witness to and even embrace old traditions such as these, and for me it's fascinating to watch the whole thing in its process.  But yeah, like you I can't say that I'm really broken up about the whole thing.  I was really sad to hear about Princess Di, but this...meh not so much.

If I live to 96, odds are I’ll get to see us in 3 more NCAA tournaments.  Hopefully we can win one game.

No one is telling Americans to give any allegiance to the Queen or the British monarchy, but I’m still shocked at the lack of compassion and all of the jokes by people, who I have seen act so reasonably and kindly about so many issues on here compared to almost any other message board. By the queen’s order, they played the Star-Spangled Banner on 9/11 at Buckingham Palace. I appreciate that kind of solidarity. 

7 hours ago, CanadianHusker said:

No one is telling Americans to give any allegiance to the Queen or the British monarchy, but I’m still shocked at the lack of compassion and all of the jokes by people, who I have seen act so reasonably and kindly about so many issues on here compared to almost any other message board. By the queen’s order, they played the Star-Spangled Banner on 9/11 at Buckingham Palace. I appreciate that kind of solidarity. 

Look she was a 96 year old woman. She lived a good life. Sure there's compassion because she was a human being that passed. She has a family that loved her and I am sure their hearts are broken. But the amount of news coverage on this is ridiculous. The 1st 23 articles on CNN this morning are about her passing. Its absurd. 

7 hours ago, CanadianHusker said:

Well, first of all, my joke about fighting extradition obviously blew right past most everyone.

But, second, I have no antipathy for Elizabeth. I think she's remarkable in a lot of ways. But this sort of vicarious mourning through wall-to-wall coverage of this event struck me as over-the-top.

I'm not one of these people dancing on her grave. I'm repulsed by that, to be honest. But I mean it when I say, rather than being sad at her passing, I'm just giving her two thumbs up on the way out the door and thinking there might be two or three people in the history of the world who had it better. Good job, Elizabeth. Well done.

17 minutes ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Look she was a 96 year old woman. She lived a good life. Sure there's compassion because she was a human being that passed. She has a family that loved her and I am sure their hearts are broken. But the amount of news coverage on this is ridiculous. The 1st 23 articles on CNN this morning are about her passing. Its absurd. 

In fairness, it is refreshing to have something in the news cycle that is not some hot-button political topic that everyone is getting angry about but rather a reflection on a life of service by a person who was almost universally respected, if not loved, by all.

7 minutes ago, 49r said:

In fairness, it is refreshing to have something in the news cycle that is not some hot-button political topic that everyone is getting angry about but rather a reflection on a life of service by a person who was almost universally respected, if not loved, by all.

I am not saying this should not be covered or isn't news worthy. Its the amount of coverage I find mildly annoying.