WBB: Game #27 vs Iowa

Row6Seat10

#24 Nebraska Cornhuskers (20-6, 10-3 Big Ten) vs. Iowa Hawkeyes (17-10, 6-7 Big Ten)

Sunday, Feb. 24, 2:06 p.m.
Bob Devaney Sports Center

National TV: BTN  (Kevin Kugler-PBP; Stephanie White-Analyst)
Radio: 25-Station IMG College Husker Sports Network  (PBP-Matt Coatney; Analyst-Jeff Griesch) (KBBK 107.3 FM, Lincoln; KFAB 1110 AM, Omaha; KRVN 880 AM, Lexington; KHAQ 98.5 FM, North Platte; KLIQ 94.5 FM, Hastings; KNEB 94.1 FM, Scottsbluff; KRFS 103.9 FM, Superior; KGMT 1310 AM, Fairbury; KCOW 1400 AM, Alliance)
Free Internet Audio: Huskers.com
Promotion: Red Cross Appreciation Day

iow-0212-iowa-women-vs-nebraska-14.jpg

Iowa Coach Bluder's reaction to the addition of the Huskers to the B1G the past two seasons!!

Huskers Shoot for Ninth Straight Win, Season Sweep of Hawkeyes

The No. 24 Nebraska women's basketball team takes aim at its third Big Ten series sweep of the season when the Huskers play host to Iowa on Sunday afternoon.

Tip-off between the red-hot Huskers (20-6, 10-3 Big Ten) and the Hawkeyes (17-10, 6-7 Big Ten) is set for 2:06 p.m.

Nebraska hopes to match the second-longest overall winning streak in school history, as the Huskers shoot for their ninth straight victory. NU won 30 straight games to open the 2009-10 season, before the 2011-12 Huskers matched the second-best streak in school history with nine straight wins a year ago.

The Huskers ran their Big Ten winning streak to eight games with their fifth consecutive road win in a 57-39 victory at Michigan. Nebraska held a Big Ten foe under 40 points for the second straight game, matching NU's all-time total in 30 seasons of regular-season conference play (Big Eight/Big 12/Big Ten). The Huskers also kept Michigan off the free throw line entirely, marking just the second time in 1,177 games in school history that an opponent did not score at the line

Iowa comes to Lincoln with a 17-10 overall record and a 6-7 Big Ten mark. The Hawkeyes snapped a five-game losing streak with a 72-52 victory at No. 18 Purdue. The win was Iowa's first over the Boilermakers in West Lafayette, Ind., since 1998. It also pushed the Hawkeyes' record against ranked opponents this season to a Big Ten-best 7-1. Iowa's only loss to a ranked foe came in an 81-69 setback to No. 8 Penn State

Nebraska leads the all-time series with Iowa, 8-7, including a 76-75 win at Iowa City. The Huskers have won four straight games as Big Ten counterparts with Iowa

Probable Starters:

Nebraska Cornhuskers

3 - Hailie Sample - 6-1 - So. - F
23 - Emily Cady - 6-2 - So. - F
35 - Jordan Hooper - 6-2 - Jr. - F
00 - Lindsey Moore - 5-9 - Sr. - G
24 - Rachel Theriot - 6-0 - Fr.

Iowa Hawkeyes

51 - Bethany Doolittle - 6-4 - So. - F
12 - Morgan Johnson - 6-5 - Sr. - C
22 - Samantha Logic - 5-8 - So. - G
23 - Theairra Taylor - 5-11 - Jr. - G
24 - Jaime Printy - 5-11 - Sr. – G

Coach Connie Yori continues to lead the Huskers to the most successful era in school history. With their win at Michigan on Thursday night, the 2012-13 Huskers secured their second straight 20-win season and their fifth in the past seven years.

Nebraska held back-to-back conference opponents to fewer than 40 points for the first time in school history when the Huskers limited both Ohio State and Michigan to just 39 points.

Jordan Hooper has pushed her career scoring total to 1,567 points, moving her into No. 10 on Nebraska's all-time scoring list entering the 91st game of her NU career. She needs just 13 rebounds to catch Debra Powell at No. 7 on the NU career rebounding chart. J-Hoop also enters the Iowa game with 199 career three-pointers, poised to become just the second Husker in history to hit 200 career threes.

Lindsey Moore is expected to make the 125th consecutive start of her career Sunday. Lindsey is the first Husker with 1,500 career points and 600 career assists (648). In fact, no other Husker has ever scored 1,200 points and dished out 600 assists. Zeroe's 648 career assists rank sixth in Big Ten Conference history.

Lindsey Moore set the Nebraska women's basketball record for minutes played in the Huskers' last home game against Ohio State. She became the first Husker in history to play 4,000 career minutes. She enters the Iowa game with 4,059 minutes played in her four-year career as a starter. Meggan Yedsena held the previous NU mark with 3,995 minutes

Lindsey Moore has increased her career total to 196 steals to climb to No. 9 on the NU list.

Huskers Shoot for Ninth Straight Win                   huskers.com- thanks to Jeff Griesch for all he does!

Here is the Iowa Press Conference transcript in which Hawkeye head coach Lisa Bluder discusses the matchup with Nebraska.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022213aaa.html

COACH BLUDER: Well, we are probably playing one of the hottest teams in the Big Ten at Nebraska. They've won eight straight. Obviously, playing very, very well. I think Nebraska and Penn State are, just like as predicted, clear frontrunners in our conference. But I think it gives us a little confidence, first of all, coming off a good road victory over a top 20 opponent. Also, that we played them well last time. It was a one point defeat, and I never want to get too excited about defeats by any means or take those almost kind of victories. But at the same time, our team knows that they can play with them.

Huskers secure a bye for the first round of the conference tourney with a 66-46 win over Iowa. Iowa took away JHoop with a double team and did their best to take away Lindsey but they forgot about Rachel Theriot!

#24 burned the Hawkeyes with 19 big points as the Huskers go to 5-0 all time over the Hawkeyes in B1G play. Again another game where our team defense was very good. Iowa played a really rough game, lots of holding and body checking going on. I supposed though, that's the only way they could keep up with us.

Rachel led the Huskers with 19 points and 4 boards.

Zeroes and JHoop each wound up with 10 points.

Lindsey's line read pretty good 10 pts. 7 rebounds and 8 assists.

JHoop 10 pts, 7 boards

Good minutes from Tee Laudermill, Brandi Jeffery, and yes Katie Simon!

Emily wound up with 8 rebounds.

Player of the game Rachel Theriot! Making some key baskets down the stretch! Although there were a few of her passes she'd like to have back.

Need to make a better percentage from the free throw line in big games like these.

Thought I heard around 7500 in attendance. Good crowd really energenic when they needed to be.  

Another observation how many noticed the Iowa assistant coach a lady no less with a "comb-over"? :blink:   .....What's up with that?

I did have a beef this afternoon though. I go to a lot of away games with Husker fans as a group. When we go to Iowa St, they put us so high up we have to have a couple of EMT's up there to take care of all the nose bleeds! When we go to K State we're stuck way up in the northeast corner dodging dive bombing sparrows and starling's doing their best to crap on you. When we went to Iowa last season we were stuck so far away that you could barely see the court with binoculars.

But yet when fans of those same teams come to Lincoln they get to fill up section A right behind their bench and the rest get great seats in section B? :angry:

What gives?

I say treat the opposing fans like they treat us!

I'm sending off an email but I'm not sure where to address it because I think someone should alert officials how Husker fans are treated when they're at opposing teams arenas!! I already voiced my opinion to the usher but that's like talking to a tree. But I felt better for doing it!

I sit oppsite corner from Iowa bench so I didn't see the comb over. This is the first time seeing Iowa in person and I think they are a very dirty team. I would rank them with Illinios in that regard. Who was/where the recruits in town this weekend ? And one last question does anyone one know where the 2013/2014 Big 10 tournament will be held.

I did have a beef this afternoon though. I go to a lot of away games with Husker fans as a group. When we go to Iowa St, they put us so high up we have to have a couple of EMT's up there to take care of all the nose bleeds! When we go to K State we're stuck way up in the northeast corner dodging dive bombing sparrows and starling's doing their best to crap on you. When we went to Iowa last season we were stuck so far away that you could barely see the court with binoculars.

But yet when fans of those same teams come to Lincoln they get to fill up section A right behind their bench and the rest get great seats in section B? :angry:

What gives?

I say treat the opposing fans like they treat us!

I'm sending off an email but I'm not sure where to address it because I think someone should alert officials how Husker fans are treated when they're at opposing teams arenas!! I already voiced my opinion to the usher but that's like talking to a tree. But I felt better for doing it!

At one point in the Big 12 T.O. said that the visiting team would get treated with the seats that the Huskers got on the road. I dont know if this was ever policy or not, it's just what I heard. Maybe you should contact the basketball operations director for starts.

It was a good game.  I kept thinking Iowa would get hot like the men did yesterday  and pull it out when they were within 2 points.  Glad Theriot got going then.  If you would of told me before the game that Moore, Hooper and Cady would only make 5 baskets between them, I would of bet the bank that we would lose.  Nice to see the rest of the team pick up the slack.

I sit oppsite corner from Iowa bench so I didn't see the comb over. This is the first time seeing Iowa in person and I think they are a very dirty team. I would rank them with Illinios in that regard. Who was/where the recruits in town this weekend ? And one last question does anyone one know where the 2013/2014 Big 10 tournament will be held.

Maddie Simon sat with her parents in Section A.  Hannah Tvrdy and Jess Shepherd were there also.  I didn't recognize anyone else.  Any recruit would have to be impressed with the crowd. 

I didn't see if any Kastaneks were in the house, since I sit far from where most of the Iowa fans were located.  Glad we could make it 5 in a row against Iowa ;)

Maddie Simon sat with her parents in Section A.  Hannah Tvrdy and Jess Shepherd were there also.  I didn't recognize anyone else.  Any recruit would have to be impressed with the crowd. 

I didn't see if any Kastaneks were in the house, since I sit far from where most of the Iowa fans were located.  Glad we could make it 5 in a row against Iowa ;)

It's hard for me to see where the recruits sit I sit in section 8 and they are 7 I sit almost at mid court so I have lots of heads to see through. Thanks for the reply.

Thnx Row Six, I looked it up onBing and found that Chicago and Indianapolis host it every other year.

Did anyone see T throw an elbow that landed on Logic's face at about three minute mark of the second half. It happened rght in front of me and in live action you can't see what happened but if you slow the replay down it is clear that T put an elbow to her face.

Cudo's to Lindsey Moore! Iowa's Jamie Printy played 29 minutes and Zeroes held her to a total of 4 points.

Speaking of minutes played iron woman Lindsey had 39, Rachel T had 33 and Em Cady had 32. And good for Katie Simon she played 8 minutes and wound up with very respectable line, she had 6 points and grabbed two rebounds.

Jeff Culhane on tonight's Sports Nightly show did not like this quote from Iowa head Coach Lisa Bluder after yesterday's game. Said she should not have said what she said.

“For Nebraska, it’s the Border War, but we have a lot of Border Wars,” Bluder said when asked if NU’s recent dominance in the series frustrated her. “So it’s not like maybe the intensity that Nebraska feels. And it’s not like we haven’t beaten Nebraska before. We have.”

Too bad the Kastanek girls couldn't play for Nebraska but I don't think they were ever very interested in playing for Connie.

Too bad the Kastanek girls couldn't play for Nebraska but I don't think they were ever very interested in playing for Connie.

I love to cheer for Marissa at NC State and her lil sister I hope enjoys the same great success, wherever she lands. 

That said, wouldn't trade our players/recruits for either.