Uh oh...

cornfed24-7

If Trev and frost didn't negotiate something less than the $15M buyout -- when they could've waited 3 weeks and saved $7.5M -- there are some pissed-off boosters out there willing to pony up the extra that weren't willing to pay last November.

Also probably means that there's $7.5M less to pay Fred's buyout, so probably means his leash just got significantly longer.

I will say— one thing I keep seeing is people posting/tweeting they’re “happy”.  That’s one thing I’m not.  As much as it needed to happen, it’s not a happy time.

I’ll say the same thing I did when Miles was fired (and every coach).  It’s not a happy time.  These are still people.  Lives are effected.  Clouds of uncertainty now hover over the rest of the staff, players, families.

It needed to happen.  I’m not happy about it.

5 hours ago, busticket said:

i never thought it would get to this point, but Frost is pretty much John Blake.  The talent doesn’t appear to be near as bad as the putrid performance of the team.  Get a good coach in and we can get things turned pretty quick.  Hopefully Trev has a good picker.  We’ll see.

Does that mean Bob Stoops is the next coach at DONU?

32 minutes ago, busticket said:

I don’t know if he has the same drive as he did 20 years ago but wouldn’t hurt to kick the tires.  Mike Stoops would be interesting as well.  Impressive work at Kentucky.

Timing is bad for anyone currently employed. We'd essentially have to work the back channels for 3 months with our fans asking Trev what he's doing every day. Seems like someone unemployed is more likely with this timing, but who knows, none of the old rules apply any more.

Let's hope the Stoops brothers don't ask Cardinal Mooney alum Bo what he thinks of DONU.

50 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Let's hope the Stoops brothers don't ask Cardinal Mooney alum Bo what he thinks of DONU.

I doubt Bob Stoops hasn't experienced pretty much the same environment down in Norman. And it seemed like a lot of the issues Pelini had with Nebraska had to do with the administration at that time. 

Bob Stoops would be my 1st choice, but I suspect thats a pipe dream. And the reason is I think Bob Stoops knows EXACTLY what its like to coach at a place like Nebraska and he retired from that type or environment, partly because of it.

Forget coaches for a moment and look inside at the athletic department:

A 2020 study by Athletic Director U revealed that no school in the country spent more money paying off football and men’s basketball coaches since 2005 than the Huskers, who doled out nearly $28 million in that span. That included buyouts to football’s Bill Callahan ($3.13 million), Bo Pelini ($6.54 million) and Mike Riley ($6.2 million) along with basketball’s Doc Sadler and Tim Miles and their staffs.

Add Frost’s total and athletic directors who were forced out in that span — Steve Pederson ($2.2 million), Shawn Eichorst ($1.7 million) and Bill Moos ($2,972,044) — and the new bottom line is north of $50 million.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/scott-frost-receives-full-buyout-as-nebraska-severance-bill-tops-50-million-since-2005/article_512e140e-d89e-5193-bd8b-9ef6b23abeae.html

42 minutes ago, busticket said:

I actually wanted Campbell when we hired Frost.  He’s a hell of a coach and at a school we could pry him away from.

He seems as good of choice as the other names being tossed around. From what I've read up on him he has turned down quite a few jobs/interviews in the NCAA and NFL. After Frost and Hoiberg I think hiring a coach is nothing more than a crap shoot. So whoever the next coach(es) are I'll get behind them.

Edited by cornfed24-7

31 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Trev said it well in his press conference. There's things that make our program better than anywhere else. There's other aspects that make it worse.

You can both be right and wrong at the same time.

Sure, there may be aspects of ISU that are better than NU. But as a whole NU is a better job. 

Hell by conference affiliation alone I think you could make the argument that every Big Ten job is better than ISU.

Edited by cornfed24-7

The Gophers head coach was spot-on in his assessment of our team under Scott.  I didn't want to admit it, as the truth hurts.  But in short:

* We are one of the best appearing teams getting off the bus, but hit us in the mouth the first time, and we fold.  Mental and physical toughness is m.i.a.

*  We win a lot in the off-season and that is just part of our insane hyperbole.  Fans/players have to remember that all the other teams are recruiting/lifting/getting better as well.  

This can, once again, be a great program.  We have the fan base, the money, the facilities to make it happen.  But it takes blood, sweat, mental fortitude as well.

I personally have no clue who the next coach will be.  But the coach better be able to flourish while under the microscope 🔬

The media and many of the fans will sure provide  their expert opinions on how to play the game.

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

all the other teams are recruiting/lifting/getting better as well

A recurring theme during the offseason for hoops. It's easy for people to see the progress we've made over the past year and how much better we'll be, but people often forget that's not any different than the rest of the conference.

To move up from 13th in the conference to the upper half, you have to make even that much more progress above your peers to get there.

On 9/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, cornfed24-7 said:

He seems as good of choice as the other names being tossed around. From what I've read up on him he has turned down quite a few jobs/interviews in the NCAA and NFL. After Frost and Hoiberg I think hiring a coach is nothing more than a crap shoot. So whoever the next coach(es) are I'll get behind them.

Yup Gene Chzik & Ed Orgeron prove that theory to be correct. I will say this the NU job is better than it was in 03', 07'  & 17'