Uh oh...

cornfed24-7

13 hours ago, UnicamMan said:

Does this mean Fred's job is safe?  Can't afford to fire both of them can we?  (hopefully they both turn it around and we get to experience joy in Husker men's sports)

Judging by the presumed $8-10 mill a year we’re going to have to throw a new football coach to bring in the hire everyone wants (like a Rhule or Aranda) I’d assume b-ball is on the back burner. Then again, we do have a lot of cash with the new tv contracts. I’d assume for basketball Trev brings in a mid-major coach that’s had success and is hungry to prove himself at a high major and won’t cost as much (if necessary, of course). 

18 hours ago, unl said:

We need hoops to be good so bad. When the 3 men's sports have a good season, it'll be amazing, right?

A few years back, someone (I believe someone on here) who had attacked Tom Osborne as AD was almost bragging, being "that guy" and doing a "told ya so" about how poorly TO's coaching hires for the big three men's sports were doing.

Those three coaches would have been ...

Bo Pelini (whose Husker football teams never won fewer than 9 games in a season);

Tim Miles (with three post-season appearances in basketball, including an NCAA); and

Darin Erstad (four NCAA baseball tourney appearances in 8 seasons).

So, uh, Bill Moos's major men's coaching hires aren't doing so well, eh?

Be nice to return to the days of only being as bad as the coaches TO hired.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

A few years back, someone (I believe someone on here) who had attacked Tom Osborne as AD was almost bragging, being "that guy" and doing a "told ya so" about how poorly TO's coaching hires for the big three men's sports were doing.

Those three coaches would have been ...

Bo Pelini (whose Husker football teams never won fewer than 9 games in a season);

Tim Miles (with three post-season appearances in basketball, including an NCAA); and

Darin Erstad (four NCAA baseball tourney appearances in 8 seasons).

So, uh, Bill Moos's major men's coaching hires aren't doing so well, eh?

Be nice to return to the days of only being as bad as the coaches TO hired.

Spot on with TO.  He made outstanding hires.  

I don't blame Moos for his hires though.  Didn't most humans think Frost and Hoiberg were home runs?  I sure did.  His ability to do anything other than hire people was what made his time here unforgivable.  But TO was also consulted in the Frost hire.

I like Trev a lot.  I think he's handled both FB/BB situations with transparency and intelligence.  I like that he's not quick to deem someone incompetent or be trigger happy with firings.  It's smart and it's also sending a message to future potential candidates.  We have a way better chance of landing a high quality coach because the bar is low, we have the money, and Trev clearly believes his job is to do what he can to help coaches be successful.  

That said, Frost just made his future decision pretty easy with the single dumbest play call in Husker football history.  This will be a very interesting year for basketball, but I think that formula is much more complicated.  Football's ship can be righted with a coach who lets his players win with fundamentals and talent.  Frost has done enough to get the talent and effort where it should be to be competitive.  That's not easy.  He's just not a good, detailed football coach.  Hoiberg is kind of like that with basketball.  They both have very creative concepts and spend way too much time trying to install them before being 1 million percent sure the fundamentals of the sport are covered.  

A few years back, a highly respected NFL head coach came out from half time of the super bowl and leveraged a successful on-side kick.  He was deemed a genius.

IF our on-side kick would have been successfully executed, fans would be whistling a completely different tune.  Perhaps the same would have held true IF the fumble inside the red zone, would have been ruled in our favor.

I am not pointing out anything new.  Simply, we find new ways to lose close games.  I also saw some totally complete breakdowns on defense, some gawdawful tackling and four or more dropped passes.  I am perhaps more concerned about those breakdowns rather than the on-side kick.  But that is just me.

2 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

A few years back, a highly respected NFL head coach came out from half time of the super bowl and leveraged a successful on-side kick.  He was deemed a genius.

IF our on-side kick would have been successfully executed, fans would be whistling a completely different tune.  Perhaps the same would have held true IF the fumble inside the red zone, would have been ruled in our favor.

I am not pointing out anything new.  Simply, we find new ways to lose close games.  I also saw some totally complete breakdowns on defense, some gawdawful tackling and four or more dropped passes.  I am perhaps more concerned about those breakdowns rather than the on-side kick.  But that is just me.

Yeah I don’t want to talk football too much on this board, but I saw multiple guys go to their knees when trying to make a tackle in the open field. You lose everything when you do that (mobility, leverage, power) and will not make the tackle.

14 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I'm not disagreeing with the logic in your first few sentences... But this isn't a thing where "hindsight is 20/20," everyone I was with IMMEDIATELY was like "WTF ARE YOU DOING?" As he was kicking it. 

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many people are hearing Urban Meyer rumors that seem like there's real smoke and not just fans exhaling marijuana?

I'm not sure who's on Trev's short list, but I do know Trev goes for it when he finds the person he wants. Trev will not give up after the first "no". Probably  not after the second, third, or fourth "no" either.

That said, Trev does not like nonsense and behavior that leads to distractions from his coaches. Urb certainly has just a wee bit of nonsense in his past, but so do a lot of the top candidates out there. I'd guess Trev will compromise a bit here for the right person.

Going to be a very interesting coaching search with all the zeroes NU will be willing to add to the check and with brand new facilities ready to go.

20 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Lost on that on-side kick, not that I am defending much of anything from last Saturday, is that our defense could have made a play and gotten the ball back with no damage or minimal damage done.  Much like most of the game, they did not.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

How many people are hearing Urban Meyer rumors that seem like there's real smoke and not just fans exhaling marijuana?

Somebody tossed his name out and folks have run with it.  There are very few folks on 247 I trust with insider information.  At this point, none have mentioned him.  Not saying he would not be one Trev kicks the tires on.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't think Dan Patrick would say it if it didn't have legs.

Like him or not, that potential hire makes all kinds of sense for both parties, and Urb loves Nebraska football.  He's a TO disciple in many ways schematically.  Trev will have $7.5million more reasons to pull the trigger on a new coach after Oct. 1.  That would give someone like Meyer an eternity to get rolling and wreak havoc on the recruiting trail.  

Almost every other potential candidate worth their salt won't be available until the end of the season.  

Edited by Fullbacksympathy

23 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It gives me no Joy in sharing these sentiments, but we all know how this Frost movie is going to end & we’ve all seen what Fred can do with NBA talent on the roster. 

Maybe Fred will actually do better when we don't have NBA talent on the roster and not trying to get kids to the next level for a change.  Many very good college teams don't have 1st or 2nd round NBA kids on their team.

48 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Maybe Fred will actually do better when we don't have NBA talent on the roster and not trying to get kids to the next level for a change.  Many very good college teams don't have 1st or 2nd round NBA kids on their team.

I don't even have my rose colored glasses on or near me; but we very well MAY have a few players on this roster with NBA level talent.  We shall see.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

I’m hoping beyond hope that the Whole is greater than the sum of it’s parts. But then I recall epic scoring droughts with the likes of Teddy Allen & Bryce on the roster & wonder who can get a bucket with the clock winding down? Blaise is the “X” factor if he’s a difference maker in the Derrick Chandler vein we could be in business…

1 hour ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just me but if we get Urban I am done.  I don’t trust the guy and before he retires from here we would again not be playing in any bowl games as we would be in trouble with the NCAA if they still would have any power.  Just me.

The list of extremely ethical, squeaky clean coaches is extremely short.  It's not a profession you should lend blind reverence to.

For example, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Coach of the Year Award is named after...Grant Teaff.  One of the biggest cheaters you'd ever find.  Tom Osborne despised the guy.

Anyway, don't worry, we probably will end up with Lance Leipold, who by the way is two months older than Urb.

The list of extremely ethical, squeaky clean coaches is extremely short.  It's not a profession you should lend blind reverence to.

For example, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes Coach of the Year Award is named after...Grant Teaff.  One of the biggest cheaters you'd ever find.  Tom Osborne despised the guy.

Anyway, don't worry, we probably will end up with Lance Leipold, who by the way is two months older than Urb.

I’ve been thinking it’s gotta be Leipold for a year now. He just makes sense.