Keyontae Johnson

MichHusker

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although we can’t say with 100% certainty Keyontae would have have signed here (but seems close to a lock since he was here with his family right at the deadline AFTER being offered by K State) we do know with 100% certainty the athletic department/compliance totally undermined the coach, team and program by denying him the chance to commit here.  

Danny Nee took us to our most success getting prop 48 guys and other “risky” type players the other teams wouldn’t take. He was able to do this because he had the full support of the AD and athletic department to run his own ship. Imagine Keyontae on this team this year. Keyontae was 9-13  on FG, the rest of the team Combined was 15-47. 

Edited by NUdiehard

I wonder if he had been a football player of equivalent skills and history if he might have passed muster with the medics? We'll never know without access to his medical records, but it might have been one of those situations where a second or third opinion should have been considered. If the player was willing to take the risk and sign the proper paperwork to absolve the university of lawsuits if health problems recurred, I'm not sure why he was turned down here. He certainly does not appear to be physically impaired. 

Edited by jimmykc

• 5 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

We haven't mentioned it in a month, but tonight was a good night to mention it again... We royally screwed this up.

K-State would look a whole lot different (worse) without him. When he’s not on the court, their offense is stagnant. A bunch of athletes who struggle to get the ball in the hoop. And of course, we’d look a whole lot different with his efficient 19 ppg and 7 rpg…

They say Trev made the call to not accept his commitment. Fred wanted him.

It was a done deal he was coming as they even showed him his apartment.  It was all set until NU said he didn't pass our health requirements.  Amazing how 1 more player could have potentially changed the course of this whole season.  Or if Bryce McGowens decided to stay one more year.  

But this is so Nebraska Basketball.......

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

It was a done deal he was coming as they even showed him his apartment.  It was all set until NU said he didn't pass our health requirements.  Amazing how 1 more player could have potentially changed the course of this whole season.  Or if Bryce McGowens decided to stay one more year.  

But this is so Nebraska Basketball.......

You're kidding yourself if you think Keyontae would've come here and done the same as he has at KState. He would've come here and would've looked like he essentially forgot how to play the sport or something along those lines. Par for the course for this program. 

53 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

You're kidding yourself if you think Keyontae would've come here and done the same as he has at KState. He would've come here and would've looked like he essentially forgot how to play the sport or something along those lines. Par for the course for this program. 

Not saying he would have done the same thing here as he is at K-State.  All I'm saying is I know for sure he was coming to Nebraska.  I even know the apartment they showed him and he was 100% planning to attend Nebraska before he didn't pass our physical requirements. 

40 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Not saying he would have done the same thing here as he is at K-State.  All I'm saying is I know for sure he was coming to Nebraska.  I even know the apartment they showed him and he was 100% planning to attend Nebraska before he didn't pass our physical requirements. 

I don't doubt he was coming here at all. I've also heard the same. Imagine him and Reeves (Kentucky) on this team. We lost both at the last second. We'd at the least be a bubble team with that additional athleticism and shooting we desperately need. But on the other hand, I guess a lot of teams can say the same about woulda/coulda/shoulda players. 

On 10/27/2022 at 2:49 PM, Norm Peterson said:

It's entirely possible -- perhaps even likely -- that his people weren't fully forthcoming with our people about the current status of his condition until he was actually being evaluated by our people.

Let's just say our folks didn't drop the ball on this one.

I would say we dropped the ball something fierce.