Keyontae Johnson

MichHusker

Nebraska basketball needs something good to happen.  Maybe this is part of it.  Maybe Johnson adds 15 points and 6 rebounds a game to our totals.  Maybe Blaise Keita can defend the paint and get 8 points and 8 rebounds a game.  Maybe Breidenbach comes back better than before.  Maybe Ramel Lloyd is the real deal.  Maybe some good things are starting to happen for Husker basketball.  I have hope!!

3 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Curious what everyone thinks on this.  Hypothetically, if Johnson were to commit, and if he was cleared to play this year (health and academics, etc), and if he proves to actually be healthy and able to play, how much would that change everyone's outlook for this season?  Would this actually get some of you excited about this season?  How much would this increase your projections for this team?  top 10 in conference?  Top 7?

I realize this is all a bunch of "ifs" that most likely won't happen, just curious on how much you think one really quality player could change the trajectory for this team.

The team gets real interesting. Now you potentially have a centerpiece, go-to player who at his best is a top 10 player in the league. Putting 2-3 other NCAA tournament caliber players around him (bandoumel, gary, probably griesel) gives you a pretty good core. I would be a bit disappointed if we didnt get to NIT. I think for the first time maybe ever in the BIG 10 we shouldn't get dominated by opposing 5s in league play. Of course all IF he comes here and IF he is healthy 

5 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

Curious what everyone thinks on this.  Hypothetically, if Johnson were to commit, and if he was cleared to play this year (health and academics, etc), and if he proves to actually be healthy and able to play, how much would that change everyone's outlook for this season?  Would this actually get some of you excited about this season?  How much would this increase your projections for this team?  top 10 in conference?  Top 7?

I realize this is all a bunch of "ifs" that most likely won't happen, just curious on how much you think one really quality player could change the trajectory for this team.

Interesting hypothetical.

Well, if the new staff hires can coach, and if Hoiberg gets out of their way and takes on more of a Frost CEO role, and if they actually hold players accountable to meeting high expectations both on and off the court, and if the players all stay healthy, and if some of the guys actually exceed expectations, and if we can find a distributor in this group who can play at a high level, I'd be willing to hope that we could move into maybe the top 13 or top 12 in conference.

That's a lot of "ifs" though, so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

5 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

We’ve had talent.  I’m not going to get overly excited until we actually show something on the court.

15 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, if the new staff hires can coach, and if Hoiberg gets out of their way and takes on more of a Frost CEO role, and if they actually hold players accountable to meeting high expectations both on and off the court, and if the players all stay healthy, and if some of the guys actually exceed expectations, and if we can find a distributor in this group who can play at a high level, I'd be willing to hope that we could move into maybe the top 13 or top 12 in conference.

Wow, @Norm Peterson step away from the Kool Aid, man!!!

17 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

This team has a massive, gaping hole in it that he clearly fills (assuming he is healthy, in shape, rust is shaken off). 

This team goes from a defensively built, long, strong, and experienced team that won't be able to score... to all of those things plus a real "dude," who can absolutely score on his own. He went from 14ppg, to 16ppg before he was injured, you have to assume he was on a trajectory to get near 18-20 the next. Which completely changes the outlook for our season imo. 

This would be a very good get for NU if they can land him.  I do know they were showing him an apartment on his visit and all the coaches (including Ernie) and Keyontae's mother were there looking at the apartment with him.  We will probably know within a week or so what his final decision is.

11 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Wow I remmeber when that happened that was extremely scary. I'm not a doctor but I don't think that's the best idea. Regardless where the kid goes I just hope he's safe.

There’s actually been multiple stories of people coming back from heart issues to play again.  One was in soccer where they run like 10+ miles a game.  Believe me— doctors won’t clear him unless they are as sure as they can be.

Nebraska also has a pretty salty sports medicine team, so I have no doubt he’ll be monitored closely.

55 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

This would be a very good get for NU if they can land him.  I do know they were showing him an apartment on his visit and all the coaches (including Ernie) and Keyontae's mother were there looking at the apartment with him.  We will probably know within a week or so what his final decision is.

Won't acknowledge anything you said until the cable installer has been notified. 

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

This team has a massive, gaping hole in it that he clearly fills (assuming he is healthy, in shape, rust is shaken off). 

This team goes from a defensively built, long, strong, and experienced team that won't be able to score... to all of those things plus a real "dude," who can absolutely score on his own. He went from 14ppg, to 16ppg before he was injured, you have to assume he was on a trajectory to get near 18-20 the next. Which completely changes the outlook for our season imo. 

This.  100% agree.

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

He also was offered a very good NIL package last night.  If we don’t get him it won’t be because we didn’t play in that arena.   

15 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I see that my old friend @Swan88was not amused by my attempt at humor. In my defense, let me just say I’ve been sucked in by the hype before, especially last year, and was bitterly disappointed. I’m taking a decidedly “Prove it“ approach this season as a defense mechanism for my mental health.

If we can put the pieces together this year, I am hopeful for a full recovery and a return to my usual sunshine pumping state.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

He’s a former NBA prospect. He has a $5 million insurance policy if he’s not able to play anymore. If he is contemplating returning to the floor, he must think his health has been restored and that he can compete again on a very high level. Otherwise, he’d take the $5 million and walk away.

Man, $5M in the pocket is a heck of a way to start a career.  And I believe that is all net pay since other forms of insurance aren't taxable.  If I'm him and getting $5M to do anything I want with my life other than play basketball, I guarantee you I am not walking on a gym floor ever again.  

1 minute ago, aphilso1 said:

Man, $5M in the pocket is a heck of a way to start a career.  And I believe that is all net pay since other forms of insurance aren't taxable.  If I'm him and getting $5M to do anything I want with my life other than play basketball, I guarantee you I am not walking on a gym floor ever again.  

Same.

In fact, I am ready to give up playing hoops forever if someone wants to pay me $5million.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

1 minute ago, Norm Peterson said:

Same.

In fact, I am ready to give up playing hoops forever if someone wants to pay me $5million.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

I guess a better comparison would be if someone offered me $5M to give up the activity I love most, since playing basketball isn't something I even do anymore.  So for the sake of argument, we'll say someone offers $5M for me to never ride a mountain bike again.  That's an offer for more money than I will earn in my entire career in exchange for giving up the activity I love most.  I'm still taking that offer.

46 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I guess a better comparison would be if someone offered me $5M to give up the activity I love most, since playing basketball isn't something I even do anymore.  So for the sake of argument, we'll say someone offers $5M for me to never ride a mountain bike again.  That's an offer for more money than I will earn in my entire career in exchange for giving up the activity I love most.  I'm still taking that offer.

I have zero hobbies or interests that aren't worth more doing than $5m is. I'll find new ones.