Keyontae Johnson

MichHusker

We're talking about a guy who was the SEC preseason player of the year coming into 2020-21 who hasn't really played since collapsing in that Dec 2020 game vs Florida St.

If he's 90% of what he was he'd probably be the best player on our roster. 

There is precedent for a player coming back from a cardiac event to play at a high level again.  Some of you soccer fans may remember Christian Eriksen collapsing during the Euro Championships last summer: https://www.espn.com/soccer/denmark-den/story/4407267/denmarks-christian-eriksen-gone-before-cardiac-resuscitation-team-doctor

He came back 8 months later to play in the English Premier League, pretty inspiring stuff really:

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

I was just gonna ask this. Can't we just tell the guy, you'll have to walk-on, but a couple local businesses have agreed to cover enough for tuition and a nice apartment. 

You can do that - but you better hope another team doesn't have a scholarship and NIL money. 

It's a cutthroat business. You "ask" someone to move on. 

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

You can do that - but you better hope another team doesn't have a scholarship and NIL money. 

It's a cutthroat business. You "ask" someone to move on. 

If you offer a hundred thousand more than the other team the scholarship doesn't matter. If your collective is run right you no longer have scholarship limits.

16 hours ago, jdw said:

If you offer a hundred thousand more than the other team the scholarship doesn't matter. If your collective is run right you no longer have scholarship limits.

This.

Who needs a scholarship opening when you have Dave's Drywall and Plumbing Supply and other such businesses willing to pay several times the cost of tuition to have a tall kid with some hoops skill tweet about their businesses a couple of times per week?

Curious what everyone thinks on this.  Hypothetically, if Johnson were to commit, and if he was cleared to play this year (health and academics, etc), and if he proves to actually be healthy and able to play, how much would that change everyone's outlook for this season?  Would this actually get some of you excited about this season?  How much would this increase your projections for this team?  top 10 in conference?  Top 7?

I realize this is all a bunch of "ifs" that most likely won't happen, just curious on how much you think one really quality player could change the trajectory for this team.

2 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

Curious what everyone thinks on this.  Hypothetically, if Johnson were to commit, and if he was cleared to play this year (health and academics, etc), and if he proves to actually be healthy and able to play, how much would that change everyone's outlook for this season?  Would this actually get some of you excited about this season?  How much would this increase your projections for this team?  top 10 in conference?  Top 7?

I realize this is all a bunch of "ifs" that most likely won't happen, just curious on how much you think one really quality player could change the trajectory for this team.

12 wins tops with or without him 😉

38 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I personally am excited for the season.  I am not excited about watching us if we perform like we have the past two years.  I refuse to hope that we will improve effort, execution and performance.   We had talent, especially last year.  So adding talent isn't the fix.  So we shall see.