New Coach Coming Soon?

uneblinstu

Like this hire. Not the guy I thought (or was told) it was going to be. But this guy seems like a no nonsense, but relationship driven coach. Lots of experience, knows how to recruit. Coach Hoiberg has a ton of strengths... being the enforcer/accountability/energy guy is not one of them. This guy seems like he has the goods to do this. 

One possible bonus with this hire.  If Ziegler has been unemployed since March, then he essentially was not subject to any recruiting restrictions.  A lot of times these assistant coaches use the time off to really develop relationships with potential future recruits and their families without any restrictions. 

Or maybe he just went to the the Bahamas for five months.  Ha!

Edited by NUdiehard

4 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Like this hire. Not the guy I thought (or was told) it was going to be. But this guy seems like a no nonsense, but relationship driven coach. Lots of experience, knows how to recruit. Coach Hoiberg has a ton of strengths... being the enforcer/accountability/energy guy is not one of them. This guy seems like he has the goods to do this. 

I honestly don't think we should expect anything different from what we had before.

4 hours ago, NUdiehard said:

One possible bonus with this hire.  If Ziegler has been unemployed since March, then he essentially was not subject to any recruiting restrictions.  A lot of times these assistant coaches use the time off to really develop relationships with potential future recruits and their families without any restrictions. 

Or maybe he just went to the the Bahamas for five months.  Ha!

I'd say that any B1G footprint guy he was in on at Mississippi St we have a decent shot at.  The only overlapping recruit I could find was Braelon Green. Not sure how much mutual interest there is atm with us already having Chase Clemmons signed.

1 hour ago, HB said:

Seems like as good a hire as we had any right to expect under the timing and circumstances.   Impressive.

That's how I feel about it, we're hiring in August with a coach who might not last another year. Kind of like recruiting, why get excited about a kid who likely will decommit if Fred gets fired?