New Coach Coming Soon?

uneblinstu

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

The guy I'm hearing is Ernie Zeigler. You might remember that name from when he was the coach at Central Michigan in 2011-12 as they came to play in the Bob during Doc's last year.  At the time he was coaching his son Trey.  Otherwise he's been an assistant under Ben Howland in three different places, most recently Mississippi St. (Ironically, David Anwar is one assistant who replaced him)

He's known as a recruiter so it's a fairly high profile grab at this point if that's the hire.

Sounds like he would be a good hire.   Here is a past interview.   https://www.stitcher.com/show/tell-me-your-story-coach/episode/ep-24-ernie-zeigler-assistant-coach-at-mississippi-state-86377017

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

The guy I'm hearing is Ernie Zeigler. You might remember that name from when he was the coach at Central Michigan in 2011-12 as they came to play in the Bob during Doc's last year.  At the time he was coaching his son Trey.  Otherwise he's been an assistant under Ben Howland in three different places, most recently Mississippi St. (Ironically, David Anwar is one assistant who replaced him)

He's known as a recruiter so it's a fairly high profile grab at this point if that's the hire.

Yep, that is what is being reported on Twitter today

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Not sure I approve. He was 2-18 passing against K-State in that 1968 debacle. Well, maybe he's a better coach than he was a quarterback.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Not sure I approve. He was 2-18 passing against K-State in that 1968 debacle. Well, maybe he's a better coach than he was a quarterback.

Don't remember the game, only being 7 years old, but I remembered him playing QB.  It's the next season I really remember following Husker football.  Loved Van Bronson!

For the record, I was told 4 names here right before Washut said Steadman was a finalist but didn’t get the job. So for what it’s worth, here’s who I was told to watch for.

Jai Steadman- most recently an assistant coach at Maine. Was a finalist but didn’t get it per Washut

Jay Hernandez - assistant coach for the Charlotte Hornets who played with Fred in Chicago in 01-02. Similar coaching wise to Loenser, heavy on player development.

Ernie Zeigler - Most recently an assistant coach at Mississippi State from 2015 to this past season. Was not retained by Chris Jans after Ben Howland was fired in March.

Emmanuel Tommy - recently got hired as Director of Player development, likely would’ve gotten the bump up to 3rd assistant if they struggled to find anybody from outside.

Out of those 4, Zeigler makes the most sense given his experience and recruiting background. If anybody heard any other names, I’m genuinely curious to hear whom. Hope it wasn’t anybody thinking that Derrin Hansen got a call just because he’s also currently without a job and happens to be close by.