OT: Am I screwed? Dog bit someone

Figured I’d ask this here as you all are my trusted sources for wisdom and insight…

Solicitor came by the house unexpected, dog lost his mind for some reason, I told him to go upstairs and thought he did (he’s a tricky bastard). Then I tried to open the door and skinny myself through to close it behind me, and the stealth ninja shot the gap and snipped the lady’s foot. 

He’s a damn good dog, I think welcoming kid #2 into the house has thrown his world off and he’s become kinda protective. So this isn’t common. 

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Lady said she was ok… and I apologized profusely. Am I looking at the humane society knocking on my door soon or what? Or is my home owners insurance about to be put to work?

TIA

50 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Figured I’d ask this here as you all are my trusted sources for wisdom and insight…

Solicitor came by the house unexpected, dog lost his mind for some reason, I told him to go upstairs and thought he did (he’s a tricky bastard). Then I tried to open the door and skinny myself through to close it behind me, and the stealth ninja shot the gap and snipped the lady’s foot. 

He’s a damn good dog, I think welcoming kid #2 into the house has thrown his world off and he’s become kinda protective. So this isn’t common. 

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Lady said she was ok… and I apologized profusely. Am I looking at the humane society knocking on my door soon or what? Or is my home owners insurance about to be put to work?

TIA

I can't really offer you legal advice as I'm about as far from being a lawyer as you can get, but one thing I would do is make sure you have your dog's vaccination records ready to go just in case.  Hopefully the lady will not push the issue and it will die down. My last dog was very protective of our house and I was always a little afraid he might bit someone.  He was always fine outside our property. Hope everything works out for you.

Just now, Navin R. Johnson said:

I can't really offer you legal advice as I'm about as far from being a lawyer as you can get, but one thing I would do is make sure you have your dog's vaccination records ready to go just in case.

We’re good to go there at least. He browses some wild websites so getting him vaccinated was tough, but he managed. 

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

TIA

Dude that sucks. I had a similar experience about two years ago. My buddy William lumbered over a 3 ft fence and knocked a lady over that was walking her three chihuahua sized dogs. She sprained her ankle. William is a giant gentle beast and he only wanted to play. 

I thought I was screwed. I helped the lady as much as I could.  She was so kind and understanding. I felt like an ass. 

William at the time was a 12 month puppy that weighed north of 100lbs. He clocks in at about 230lbs right now. He's an absolute sweetheart. 

So to answer your question, If I were you, I would hope the lady is a kind and understanding woman. Because sometimes dogs are assholes.

IMG_1656.jpg

Edited by cornfed24-7

I've had a couple incidents over the years where our dog{s} nipped at people.  Nothing ever happened.  The one dog that did it 3 or 4 times, we put it down.  Don't worry about the government knocking on your door.  I'd worry about mental health officials coming to ask you why you follow Nebraska basketball.  🙂

BTW, what was she selling?

On 7/11/2022 at 9:10 AM, basketballjones said:

As someone with 2 small children and a dog that goes nuts when people she doesn't know come to the door...I sympathize. I usually answer the door carrying a 6 month old and a dog going batshit crazy behind me. I am 100% not going to buy what your peddling because I already hate you for putting me in this situation. Sounds like you tried to be a good dog owner and wrangle your dog, but shit happens when someone shows up unannounced. 

Here's the Nebraska statute on dog bites, etc. (note the highlighted portion--it's tough on dog owners):

54-601.

Dogs; personal property; owner liable for damages; exceptions.

(1) Dogs are hereby declared to be personal property for all intents and purposes, and, except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, the owner or owners of any dog or dogs shall be liable for any and all damages that may accrue (a) to any person, other than a trespasser, by reason of having been bitten by any such dog or dogs and (b) to any person, firm, or corporation by reason of such dog or dogs killing, wounding, injuring, worrying, or chasing any person or persons or any sheep or other domestic animals belonging to such person, firm, or corporation. Such damage may be recovered in any court having jurisdiction of the amount claimed.

Edited by Swan88

On 7/11/2022 at 9:10 AM, basketballjones said:

TIA

I had to get rid of a dog, because he had bitten someone. Don't call your insurance co.

• 2 weeks later...

Write out a description of what happened and put in a file...I had this happen when my dog did basically the same thing, although he did not bite, he just jumped up on a person and scratched her a little bit. 

I had the front door camera and saved that to a file too.

The more you have, the more it can show that you did what you were explaining here and much easier to remember right away after it happens than trying to remember the incident a month or two later.