Armon Gates done!!

5 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

How can you determine if it's a step up or back if you don't even know what job he'll be taking?

I listed the ways it is a step up.  Hoiberg will struggle to have a job here after this season.  What went on with MA last season was pure insanity.  

Salary wise I presume it will be a lateral move, but it will give him a way more stable platform with good teams, players, a proven system, and notoriety to become a midmajor head coach down the road.  Again, that’s just a prediction but he and his brother are personable, knowledgeable coaches.  

1 hour ago, Fullbacksympathy said:

I listed the ways it is a step up.  Hoiberg will struggle to have a job here after this season.  What went on with MA last season was pure insanity.  

Salary wise I presume it will be a lateral move, but it will give him a way more stable platform with good teams, players, a proven system, and notoriety to become a midmajor head coach down the road.  Again, that’s just a prediction but he and his brother are personable, knowledgeable coaches.  

Oregon will have stability, but their conference does not.  Plus, I am not 100% convinced that Dana is totally committed to that program.  Yeah there is the Nike money, but with that money may come unreasonable expectations.  It may have been a good move, but the timing is pretty strange to me.  

12 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Oregon will have stability, but their conference does not.  Plus, I am not 100% convinced that Dana is totally committed to that program.  Yeah there is the Nike money, but with that money may come unreasonable expectations.  It may have been a good move, but the timing is pretty strange to me.  

Not to me.  Conference stability doesn’t really matter in basketball.  See Gonzaga.  Oregon basketball could easily join the WAC if they had to in basketball only and get a 1-3 seed every season.  

I’d be shocked if Oregon doesn’t end up in the B1G regardless.  But that’s all speculation.  

Doc and Armon tried earnestly to fit with Fred, but I think their personal philosophies and approach to player motivation are quite a bit different than his.  Hopefully all three can be successful and find players/programs who match their approach.  

Not a lateral move by any stretch.  Eugene will have way more stability, more NIL money, and a weaker conference.  Altman will value Armon.  

His next step will be as a head coach somewhere in a couple of years if I’m making a prediction.  It was just never a fit with Fred.  

Tough to say no to joining a staff that has had assistants jump to head coaching jobs each of the last few years, a better program, and pay bump.

Also probably likely that a major part of Dana’s sell was, “hey remember when Miles hired you to recruit? You can come here and recruit for the first time in 4 years.”

1 hour ago, Cowboy Kermit said:

Tough to say no to joining a staff that has had assistants jump to head coaching jobs each of the last few years, a better program, and pay bump.

Also probably likely that a major part of Dana’s sell was, “hey remember when Miles hired you to recruit? You can come here and recruit for the first time in 4 years.”

It's just as much about valuing his coaching approach as the recruiting component, but I think Armon did us a solid by helping us nab some decent players before he left.  

Hoiberg said in his press conference yesterday that "we will get someone good" to replace Armon.

I have no doubt they will manage to get someone.  I'm sure they might even get someone competent.

But I can't help thinking to myself "Doc Sadler is available".  Anyone else wonder if that might be a legit possibility?  Not that it's what I would necessarily want to see, but yet it would be expeditious.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Hoiberg said in his press conference yesterday that "we will get someone good" to replace Armon.

I have no doubt they will manage to get someone.  I'm sure they might even get someone competent.

But I can't help thinking to myself "Doc Sadler is available".  Anyone else wonder if that might be a legit possibility?  Not that it's what I would necessarily want to see, but yet it would be expeditious.

Ideally we'd want to get someone who can recruit and possibly with our new conference alignment maybe someone who can recruit California.  Feels like we have the midwest covered with Loesner and the South/jucos covered with Howard.

You'd think we would have had some lead time on a July move

On 7/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, 49r said:

This would be a horrific hire and thankfully one that would never be considered.   

11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Got my answer on what Oregon would say about Gates’ time at Nebraska:

“Gates has been instrumental at Nebraska with all facets of coaching, scouting, and recruiting. While Nebraska basketball is not a basketball powerhouse in any respect, that’s not necessarily an indication of Gates’ abilities as a coach.”

16 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

"While Armon Gates’ coaching role with the Ducks has not yet been defined"

This is like checking the shipping status of your package and seeing it's been out for delivery for 10 days

10 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Wierd...just plain wierd.  There is an appearance of the dreaded "there is more to this story"

Well, one thing to consider is that when Chris Crutchfield took the Omaha job, Oregon lost their only black assistant coach.  Kind of like us now.

11 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Wierd...just plain wierd.  There is an appearance of the dreaded "there is more to this story"

Gates updated his twitter bio to assistant coach for Oregon. That seems pretty definitive.

The holdup is that Oregon can only have 3 assistants at a time so someone needs to move before they can officially hire Gates.

It's possible that contract timing is holding this up. Look for Kevin McKenna to be moved to special assistant to make room for Gates.

image.png