USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Nothing concrete, just more talks of streaming and media rights looking to change the college landscape:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/conference-realignment-amazon-interest-may-affect-big-ten-big-12-pac-12-composition-as-talks-continue/amp/

Well at least I'd be able to see some of the games.  I looked at my finances and decided to, at least temporarily, dump Hulu. Don't have cable but decided that my husker football team sucks so wasn't going to watch anymore this season.  Might go find a sports bar to watch the away Men's basketball games.. weather dependant (it's going to be a very lousy winter according to the almanac).  

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Can the remnants of the ACC/Big XII/Pac 12 form a Super Sized Mega Conference? Doesn’t that make more sense than dragging a bunch of Houston, Cincinnatis & Witchita States into some kind of a Regional patchwork…???

Lol where is the love for the Mountain West?  How soon before the Big 10 or the SEC go after Hawaii so they can say they go from one end of the country to the other.

No one can go after the Seawolves from Alaska as their only division one teams are Hockey and gymnastics. Football and Basketball and the rest are division II.

56 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Lol where is the love for the Mountain West?  How soon before the Big 10 or the SEC go after Hawaii so they can say they go from one end of the country to the other.

No one can go after the Seawolves from Alaska as their only division one teams are Hockey and gymnastics. Football and Basketball and the rest are division II.

I’m more of Fairbanks Nanooks fan myself, but don’t forget Don Lucia got his start with the Seawolves before he moved on to the the C.C. Tigers & then Goldy the Gopher. My point is if you’re  Kansas why not align with Washington, Oregon, Miami etc, rather than quote unquote “lesser” programs? 

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Can the remnants of the ACC/Big XII/Pac 12 form a Super Sized Mega Conference? Doesn’t that make more sense than dragging a bunch of Houston, Cincinnatis & Witchita States into some kind of a Regional patchwork…???

If I had to guess, one of the factors has to do with 1. the top teams in each of those leagues and 2. the media.

Making numbers up, but say the Pac-12 has a $240M media right contract. If I was a top school in the league I'm still having to equally distribute the profits of those rights and get $20M/year.

The more teams you add, the more you start to dilute that share. There are lower teams in the leagues who aren't worth $15M in additional media rights yet they're still getting a share and diluting the share for everyone else.

So say they add 12 teams and renegotiate a contract for media rights worth $432M ($192M more), that top Pac-12 team now only gets $18M/year.

A few notes from Warren during B1G Media Days about USC & UCLA joining:

Main remarks:

One of our key focus points this year is to make sure that we flawlessly integrate both UCLA and USC into the Big Ten Conference. Our student-athletes have been our number one priority, and during this integration period, they will continue to be our number one priority. You'll be able to see it in how we schedule, how we handle multi-team events, the experiences they will be able to have by now being able to travel to play different institutions across the country.

Q. When UCLA and USC join, how, if at all, the basketball tournaments, the season-ending tournaments would look any different? Where are you with football alignment? I'm guessing you don't know what you're doing, but what kind of stuff is on the table there?

KEVIN WARREN: Regarding the basketball tournaments, quite naturally we have to look at how that works. We have individuals in our organization now who are working with those potential tournaments will look like.

I know one thing, they'll be exciting. Now we have the flexibility to have them really anywhere across the country. So having two great basketball programs, the history and tradition. ...

We'll look at ways to build that with our new family members in UCLA and USC, from a location standpoint.

I think your question is about divisions, if we'll continue to have them in football. We're having meetings on that right now. The good thing about it we're in this what we're calling an integration phase. ...

As I mentioned earlier, we're going to keep the health, safety of our student-athletes at the forefront of all of our decisions, but also provide our student-athletes with the excitement to be able to play some great teams.

Q. The Pac-12 recently announced a legacy series with the SWAC, doing men's and women's basketball beyond the current format this season. Would the Big Ten think about doing something similar connecting with a black college? 

KEVIN WARREN: We've had some discussions about seeing what we can do to create some of these legacy series games. I know we've had some one-off games that have been played.

But from a long-term standpoint, that's the beautiful thing about having UCLA and USC join us, there are some things we are working on now to continually afford our student-athletes the opportunity to play against Historically Black Colleges and Universities.

I look forward as we bring that to life as far as what we could do from a scheduling standpoint. That's part of the many things on the table as we're looking through scheduling and expansion, what we can do from a unique standpoint.

Q. What is the Big Ten's approach to expansion moving forward? Do you want to add programs? If you do, what are you looking for?

KEVIN WARREN: The biggest thing right now and what we have come up with, what we're calling some of our can't miss priorities. One of them is to make sure we flawlessly integrate our new media partners, but the other one is to make sure we flawlessly integrate USC and UCLA into the Big Ten Conference.

In the climate we're in right now in college athletics, you also have to be mindful of expansion. But our priority is just to make sure that we take care of our 14 member institutions now from a basketball standpoint, from a conference standpoint, and that we do everything that we possibly can to make sure we flawlessly integrate UCLA and USC.

We have a lot of work to do. It's one thing to negotiate contracts, to make an announcement, but it's another thing to actually get the work done. That's what we're focused on right now.

http://asaptext.com/asap_media/media/1025/1332/transcripts/125775.html

54 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

If Warren wants to have the B1G Tournament “anywhere” in the Country now, doesn’t Omaha make even MORE sense? They’re certainly capable/comfortable of holding these type of events. I’m hoping the Big O makes it into the rotation of Host Sites. 

Might help if Eppley can get some more airlines to fly to LA.

On 10/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, HuskerFever said:

For the lack of a better place to put this, Indiana football hit a big D1 milestone this weekend:

I thought Kansas St had 800 losses WAY back in the 90’s? I know when they had the Purple School Bus parked in front of the Watering Hole & hats on that said “A Winning Tradition” we shut them up with the 800 Losses chant…

• 2 months later...
On 10/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, Handy Johnson said:

I thought Kansas St had 800 losses WAY back in the 90’s? I know when they had the Purple School Bus parked in front of the Watering Hole & hats on that said “A Winning Tradition” we shut them up with the 800 Losses chant…

They have 667 losses according to Google. 

On 10/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Speaking of.  Last Friday night I was at the bar I normally go to sitting there enjoying my drink. This woman sits down next to me and starts talking to me.  She then makes a comment about one of the football games then goes off on Boisie State and their blue field.  Suddenly her drunk bf dressed all in KSU colors comes over and starts talking to me and bashing Nebraska and the Big 10 and saying that the Big 12 pretty much ownes the Big 10 and wanted to know why I was a Nebraska fan.  Told him I had been my whole life.  Said I also root for KU (lol...his female companion left pissed off at that point), and KSU. I then brought up the $ issue...that sat him off.  "Do you get any of that money? NO! So why do you care about a lame ass program like Nebraska?"  I said..."Because I'm a Husker fan...I said I don't need to defend myself. I'm not asking why you are a KSU fan...because I honestly don't give a crap." He got more beligerant and started pointing his finger.  I said "Ok..I came here to have a cocktail to wind down and I've had enough of this conversation and got up and left. A bad fan is bad enough...a drunk bad fan is even worse.  

1 hour ago, Nighthawk said:

Speaking of.  Last Friday night I was at the bar I normally go to sitting there enjoying my drink. This woman sits down next to me and starts talking to me.  She then makes a comment about one of the football games then goes off on Boisie State and their blue field.  Suddenly her drunk bf dressed all in KSU colors comes over and starts talking to me and bashing Nebraska and the Big 10 and saying that the Big 12 pretty much ownes the Big 10 and wanted to know why I was a Nebraska fan.  Told him I had been my whole life.  Said I also root for KU (lol...his female companion left pissed off at that point), and KSU. I then brought up the $ issue...that sat him off.  "Do you get any of that money? NO! So why do you care about a lame ass program like Nebraska?"  I said..."Because I'm a Husker fan...I said I don't need to defend myself. I'm not asking why you are a KSU fan...because I honestly don't give a crap." He got more beligerant and started pointing his finger.  I said "Ok..I came here to have a cocktail to wind down and I've had enough of this conversation and got up and left. A bad fan is bad enough...a drunk bad fan is even worse.  

You should’ve said “unless you’ve seen Willy the Wildcat Dunk IN PERSON @ the Bob sit your Drunk

A** Down”…!

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Yeah the fans of left behind schools are REEEEALLL salty these days.  I suppose they can't be blamed for getting some joy out of Nebraska's struggles.  I'd imagine I'd feel the same way.

KSU having a great year this year with a Big 12 championship and top 5 ranking in men's basketball.  Happy for them.  Too bad they can't just take the "W" and enjoy it without getting belligerent about it though.

2 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Coming from someone who graduated from KSU.... Huskers live RENT FREE in the purple kitties heads.  Seriously, they will cheer when a Huskers score flashes and the Huskers are shown to be losing.

23 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

So many missed opportunities here.... such as "I didn't ask why you were a KSU fan, I just assumed it was because your parents were closely related."