USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:
On 7/28/2022 at 2:12 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Why NO love ❤️ for Colorado or any other of our former Big 8 brethren? If the B1G & SEC each have 20 teams apiece, why not just square off in Round Robin Tournament & be done with it…

Why would The Big 10 have any love for Colorado just because Nebraska used to play in a conference with them?  You make it sound like Nebraska is the one making all the decisions about who should be added to the Big 10.  Nebraska is just lucky the made the move when they did or else we'd be like every other school hoping someone will take us and we are not that attractive of product.

Speaking for them, but I would assume the argument was more around capturing another Top 20 metropolitan market, keeping some semblance of proximity (Big Ten was really into having all teams border another Big Ten state), and another potential state to recruit from.

But again, speaking on their behalf. That would be the arguments to make in favor of adding this team.

5 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Why would The Big 10 have any love for Colorado just because Nebraska used to play in a conference with them?  You make it sound like Nebraska is the one making all the decisions about who should be added to the Big 10.  Nebraska is just lucky the made the move when they did or else we'd be like every other school hoping someone will take us and we are not that attractive of product.

I have no delusions about who’s running the B1G and why. But I’d rather see Colorado & Kansas in the Conference than 4 more West Coast Schools. 

18 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

I have no delusions about who’s running the B1G and why. But I’d rather see Colorado & Kansas in the Conference than 4 more West Coast Schools. 

If the Big 10 really wanted to make a splash and strengthen the conference, they should have went after Texas and OU instead of the west coast teams.  The SEC is being way smarter about what they are doing from a geographical standpoint.  That was a "home run" get for the SEC to bring in Texas and OU and it still fits geographically (which they would have for the most part with the Big 10 as well).  The Big 10 is absolutely crazy to have teams in east and west coast.  All this revenue money these schools are making is going to be used for fuel costs flying back and forth across the country.  It's going to suck having to stay up late watching games on the west coast.  Horrible move by Big 10.  As much as I agree with you that I'd much rather have schools like KU and Iowa State join the Big 10, they just don't move the needle as far as football TV markets so won't happen.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

If the Big 10 really wanted to make a splash and strengthen the conference, they should have went after Texas and OU instead of the west coast teams.  The SEC is being way smarter about what they are doing from a geographical standpoint.  That was a "home run" get for the SEC to bring in Texas and OU and it still fits geographically (which they would have for the most part with the Big 10 as well).  The Big 10 is absolutely crazy to have teams in east and west coast.  All this revenue money these schools are making is going to be used for fuel costs flying back and forth across the country.  It's going to suck having to stay up late watching games on the west coast.  Horrible move by Big 10.  As much as I agree with you that I'd much rather have schools like KU and Iowa State join the Big 10, they just don't move the needle as far as football TV markets so won't happen.

The Big 10 has been pursuing Texas.  I'd assume their plan was Texas and Notre Dame as Oklahoma doesn't fit where they want to be academically and the rest of the Big 10 schools don't really move the needle. The SEC had no problems with an Oklahoma and Texas. Not sure what Texas might have done if the Big 10 maybe looked at Texas and Kansas. 

With Texas out of the picture, there isn't anyone left in the Big 12 who meet the criteria of fitting academically with the Big 10 and could increase a TV contract enough to be worth adding. What's the point to adding Colorado and Kansas if a 16 team revenue split is potentially less than a 14 team split?

With the ACC a nightmare due to their long term contract, the Pac-12 was the only logical choice for raiding and the Big 10 went out and got the best two schools and figured out how to do so without having to expand to 20 schools.  Maybe long term this is all bad for college athletics but in the short term jet fuel and late nights will be a problem to contemplate while swimming in Scrooge McDuck's vault of gold coins.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-ten-historic-media-rights-deal-expansion?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

7 years worth $7B to $8B with escalators built in for future expansion. FOX, NBC, CBS, Peacock, and FS1.

Starts at $60M per school in 2023-24 and should be around $100M per school by 2029-30. Could be even more, depending on whether expansion occurs.

Sources say league is not done expanding and is focused on ND and other Pac-10/12 schools

All of the Big Ten’s network partners, with the exception of NBC, will televise Big Ten men’s basketball games. The majority will be on the Big Ten Network (126 men’s basketball games) followed by Fox and FS1 (45 games), Peacock (32-to-47 games) and CBS (9-to-15 games).

Edited by throwback

2 minutes ago, throwback said:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/big-ten-historic-media-rights-deal-expansion?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

7 years worth $7B to $8B with escalators built in for future expansion. FOX, NBC, CBS, Peacock, and FS1.

Starts at $60M per school in 2023-24 and should be around $100M per school by 2029-30.

Sources say league is not done expanding and is focused on ND and other Pac-10/12 schools

I'm guessing Nebrasketball will be on peacock quite a bit....guess  ill be adding one more streaming service to the million I already subscribe to. 

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

I'm guessing Nebrasketball will be on peacock quite a bit....guess  ill be adding one more streaming service to the million I already subscribe to. 

Yeah, you may be right, although I'm sure we'll still get our 20+ BTN games. Maybe Peacock takes some of the non-con games on BTN+ previously? It doesn't really mention BTN+ for men's hoops, but that could just be an oversight.

Football broadcasts:

• Fox and FS1 will televise 24-27 Big Ten football games in 2023 and 30-32 games annually from 2024-29.
  • CBS will televise seven Big Ten football games in 2023 and 14-15 regular season games annually from 2024-29. Every CBS Big Ten football and basketball broadcast will be streamed on Paramount+.
  • NBC will televise 16 Big Ten football games annually in 2023-29, including prime-time games on Labor Day Sunday and Black Friday. All of NBC’s games will be simul-streamed on Peacock.
  • Peacock will televise eight Big Ten football games annually from 2023-29.
  • The Big Ten Network will broadcast 38-41 football games in 2023 and at least that many annually from 2024-29.
  • Football conference championship games split between Fox (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029), CBS (2024 and 2028) and NBC (2026).

Maybe NU-Iowa will now be a night game on NBC every year? Or maybe the B1G pushes USC-UCLA to Black Friday for a prime time game. That seems more likely.

Edited by throwback

53 minutes ago, Tallbaby21 said:

I've been on this for awhile but with this huge cash influx there should be a push to abolish walk-ons. Have a roster size limit on each sport but everyone gets their school paid for.

Or let some of them play without going to school. Big college sports is already a minor league system, why bother pretending it's not?

58 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Perhaps a stupid question,but, is BTN owned by the Big Ten or is there another ownership partner?

Actually I believe FOX owns ~60% of BTN and the schools each have 1/14th (soon to be 1/16th or less) of the remainder.

And if I'm not mistaken, the conference gave FOX a greater share of ownership to make up for the loss of TV windows during the 2020 covid shortened football season. That's why FOX didn't pay the schools less in 2020-21.

Upon its formation, I believe FOX's initial investment gave it 51% of BTN and the schools split the final 49%. Which is why we went several years with a smaller share of payouts after joining the B1G, so we could 'buy' into our BTN share.

Of course, I could be full of it. It's been that kind of week.

19 minutes ago, throwback said:

Actually I believe FOX owns ~60% of BTN and the schools each have 1/14th (soon to be 1/16th or less) of the remainder.

And if I'm not mistaken, the conference gave FOX a greater share of ownership to make up for the loss of TV windows during the 2020 covid shortened football season. That's why FOX didn't pay the schools less in 2020-21.

Upon its formation, I believe FOX's initial investment gave it 51% of BTN and the schools split the final 49%. Which is why we went several years with a smaller share of payouts after joining the B1G, so we could 'buy' into our BTN share.

Of course, I could be full of it. It's been that kind of week.

Yep, that's pretty much spot on.

At the inception of the network, it was majority owned by the Big Ten 51-49.  In 2010 Fox increased its share to become majority shareholder 51-49 the other way.

During Covid the conference sold an additional 10% back to Fox to help keep revenue distributions even, so yeah, now the ownership percentages are 61% Fox and 39% Big Ten Conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten_Network

3 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I’m sure they’ll be reminded of the HUNDRED million dollars they’ll be receiving every year from the B1G TV contract rather than hooking up their wagon to a future with Washington St. & Cal…

9 hours ago, skerbball said:

Get ready for Nebrasketball on peacock. I’m guessing Nebraska will get a fair share of games on there. 4.99 per month. Husker fans will need peacock, FS1, FOX, CBS, NBC, and BTN for football and hoops action going forward 

I would expect to see the Huskers exclusively on BTN (and maybe Peacock) for the foreseeable future.

5 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Any chance they could get a contract with Comedy Central? 

I can't tell you what networks we'll be on, but I can tell you which ones we won't...

Discovery: ours men's athletics programs still haven't found ourselves yet

Hallmark: they only show happy endings

Disney Channel: we're no Cinderella story

History Channel: there's no pinnacle history to show

The Weather Channel: this is a natural disaster even they don't want to touch

Maybe we'll be on MTV? They like showing nostalgic things from the 1990s...

• 3 weeks later...