USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not so sure about that. I've been flipped off on multiple occasions by Texas fans who saw me wearing Nebraska gear. No other interaction or context before those actions. And it wasn't even in the states of Nebraska or Texas. And it's been well over a decade since we've even been in that conference.

Sure seems like NU fans have a bigger grudge against Texas than the other way around.  Texas could really care less about Nebraska as they still has built in rivalry's like OU but Nebraska doesn't have any anymore.  So people in this state still make a huge deal out of hating Texas and living in the past.  

I think someone's being a bit too literal in their interpretation of "forced". It's less a Jean Claude van Dumb kinda force and more like a fait accompli kinda force--the absence of quality choices. 

as someone who almost went to UT for their doctorate, I can tell you texas has a lot more magic power in their wands than little ol' NU. that school is Ivy League Endowment levels of rich. And cash matters in the business of american education. and presumably that transfers to said schools' athletic departments. 

it was a clash of interests in the end in which NU was ill-equipped to play on a level field. Texas was being Texas, and we had to be us. Not a fair fight. 

3 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Sure seems like NU fans have a bigger grudge against Texas than the other way around.  Texas could really care less about Nebraska as they still has built in rivalry's like OU but Nebraska doesn't have any anymore.  So people in this state still make a huge deal out of hating Texas and living in the past.  

I'm just speaking from a couple of my personal experiences in the last few years.

Being flipped off by a random stranger and then given the horns-up handsign just from my walking down the sidewalk with Nebraska gear on doesn't speak "I'm holding a grudge" and "Texas could really care less." But maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

That is not entirely true.  Texas didn't say we get $25 million and everyone else gets less.  The Big 12 policy was the TV contract with Fox is equally spit however, if your school generates additional revenue outside the Fox contract, then that particular school gets to keep that money.  Thus why Texas was getting paid more.  No one is saying NU or the Big 8 needed Texas but the conference asked them and other school to join.  It was obviously a blow to NU's ego that Texas was dominating NU in football.  There was a time when the Big 12 looked like it might collapse so NU was lucky enough to get an invite to join the Big 10 and they accepted.  It was probably the right move for NU to make at that time but hard to point a finger that Texas is the reason.  

I don’t know why you keep bring up Texas beating us in football? It had nothing to do with us leaving like you are implying. It’s no secret UNL did not like Tex dictating conference terms and other schools supporting them. That and the opportunity to join the most stable and financially profitable conference in the country are the reason we left.

You think our fans hate Texas? Ark and Tx A&M really hate them and they wanted to get away from them for the same reasons we did and it had nothing to do with the games.

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

That is not entirely true.  Texas didn't say we get $25 million and everyone else gets less.  The Big 12 policy was the TV contract with Fox is equally spit however, if your school generates additional revenue outside the Fox contract, then that particular school gets to keep that money.  Thus why Texas was getting paid more.  No one is saying NU or the Big 8 needed Texas but the conference asked them and other school to join.  It was obviously a blow to NU's ego that Texas was dominating NU in football.  There was a time when the Big 12 looked like it might collapse so NU was lucky enough to get an invite to join the Big 10 and they accepted.  It was probably the right move for NU to make at that time but hard to point a finger that Texas is the reason.  

It wasn’t an Ego driven or On Field Performance issue. Those are petty reasons that play absolutely NO factor. It’s about Texas joining OUR Conference then trying to dictate terms both large & small moving forward. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm not so sure about that. I've been flipped off on multiple occasions by Texas fans who saw me wearing Nebraska gear. No other interaction or context before those actions. And it wasn't even in the states of Nebraska or Texas. And it's been well over a decade since we've even been in that conference.

Then I guess your disdain for them would be understandable.  Still, your account is pretty anecdotal and I would imagine atypical for fan interactions between the two schools.  In my experience their fanbase's feelings towards the Huskers is one generally of indifference, and I would suggest that so should ours be towards them.

Why let your hate be someone else's fuel?

11 minutes ago, 49r said:

Then I guess your disdain for them would be understandable.  Still, your account is pretty anecdotal and I would imagine atypical for fan interactions between the two schools.  In my experience their fanbase's feelings towards the Huskers is one generally of indifference, and I would suggest that so should ours be towards them.

Why let your hate be someone else's fuel?

Completely agree. And this was addressing their point of Texas fans not caring. Anecdotal, for sure, just pointing out that clearly some do. Ten years removed.

I enjoy trips to Austin. The friendly jab here and there. And what Texas does has no impact on my life or the team I support, until game day if they match up again one day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...