USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

34 minutes ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

So many missed opportunities here.... such as "I didn't ask why you were a KSU fan, I just assumed it was because your parents were closely related."

lol...I just didn't want to get booted from my favorite bar in Lincoln...and I didn't have anyone to back me up. he was with a group of about 5 guys, he just wasn't sitting with them at the time. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Exactly how did Texas ruin the Big 8 and Big 12?

Power.

Look who's been in the administration and the decisions made. There's a long list, but media revenue share, permanently moving the conference championship game south, etc. are a few examples.

Doesn't mean they "ruined" the conference. But they certainly had the power to make decisions in the best interest of their university.

On 2/10/2023 at 12:17 PM, Handy Johnson said:

If you’re that unfamiliar with recent history I can’t really help you. 

I can't help you either if you have no reasons.  They joined the conference and dominated Nebraska and people here didn't like it.  All I hear is we had to move the conference championship game to Texas which was the right move.  Beyond that, everything else is just speculation and sour grapes.  Nebraska liked it when it was the top dog in conference and once Texas joined and beat Nebraska all the time, everyone hated Texas and blamed them all for all the problems.

On 2/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, hhcmatt said:

Texas pushed Arkansas out of the SWC, then just blew up the conference. They joined the Big 12 and then of course destabilized that conference by pushing Nebraska and Missouri out. Maybe the SEC will be the first conference they belong to that isn't worse for it. 

Again, how did they push Arkansas out as well as push NU and Missouri out.  Those schools all chose to leave on their own.  Texas didn't do mandate those schools leave.  Each school made the decision what they thought was in their best interest.  Not sure Texas is to blame for that.  You might not like Texas and that's fine but can't say they forced NU or any other school to leave the conference.  

38 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Again, how did they push Arkansas out as well as push NU and Missouri out.  Those schools all chose to leave on their own.  Texas didn't do mandate those schools leave.  Each school made the decision what they thought was in their best interest.  Not sure Texas is to blame for that.  You might not like Texas and that's fine but can't say they forced NU or any other school to leave the conference.  

Bevo is that you? 

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

You certainly are technically correct if you choose to take an obtuse viewpoint of the matter.

I get that Nebraska fans feel a sense of bitterness towards Texas and how the Big 12 was set up from the start, and there's good reason for that.  When the conference was formed, Nebraska was at the absolute pinnacle of the college football world and there isn't any debate about that.  We were dominating our conference mates every year in football and that caused a lot of bitterness that still lingers to this day among most if not all former Big 8 schools.

So when the Big 12 was formed, here comes Texas with no real pedigree in any sport (they were middling at best and had been for decades, languishing in the dying SWC) and the only real tangible benefit they brought to the table was TV sets and big donors.  For that reason they were viewed (by Nebraskans at least) as a bunch of rich kids that just used their privilege to influence their way into the conversation.  Nebraska (again from our standpoint) was seen as the school that had to overcome every disadvantage to achieve the level of success they had enjoyed to that point, it was the antithesis of Texas in that regard.

But because of Nebraska's dominance over the Big 8, and because of Texas' desire to influence everything during the formation of this new league (and by proxy the need to bring Nebraska back down to everyone else's level), our former Big 8 brethren were more than happy to help Texas use their influence against us.  That, naturally, was a bitter pill for all of us (but in hindsight, I don't blame any of them for doing what they did, we would have gladly done the same thing if it were, for instance, Colorado or Missouri that was dominating the league instead of us in the 90's).

We felt betrayed by this naturally, and from that time Texas was seen as the architect of Nebraska's downfall, whether this was real or just coincidental.

Fast forward another 15 years when Jim Delany announced the Big Ten was looking to expand and all of a sudden rumors started flying.  Texas was not so privately talking about moving out of the Big 12 and taking a bunch of others (not named Nebraska) with them.  This was a huge existential threat to the conference, if they had pulled their move off it was going to be the death knell for the Big 12 and the school that stood to lose the most in all of it was Nebraska.  It was a difficult time for everyone, we were extremely fortunate in that we were able to find a spot in the Big Ten.  But if we hadn't done that, it would have been disastrous for us I think, especially if the Big 12 had collapsed.

I don't think you could say Texas pushed Nebraska out of the Big 12 per se, as much as Nebraska was desperate to avoid disaster in this doomsday scenario.  They weren't pushing us out, but they sure as hell weren't going to do anything to help us during that time either.

So, yeah, Husker fans can and probably should feel a sense of bitterness towards Texas for turning our former mates against us.  Particularly Oklahoma, who chose their connection to Texas over us, that was maybe the most difficult pill to swallow.  And for Texas posing an existential threat to the Big 12 conference itself during conference realignment in the 2010's and again just a couple of years ago.

But a LOT of water has gone under the bridge since all that happened.  Texas is nothing but a distant memory to us at this point.  We are no longer associated with them in any way.  So beyond hanging on to old grudges, I don't see any reason to hate on them personally.  At least not to the level that so many Husker fans still do.  But that's just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, 49r said:

I get that Nebraska fans feel a sense of bitterness towards Texas and how the Big 12 was set up from the start, and there's good reason for that.  When the conference was formed, Nebraska was at the absolute pinnacle of the college football world and there isn't any debate about that.  We were dominating our conference mates every year in football and that caused a lot of bitterness that still lingers to this day among most if not all former Big 8 schools.

So when the Big 12 was formed, here comes Texas with no real pedigree in any sport (they were middling at best and had been for decades, languishing in the dying SWC) and the only real tangible benefit they brought to the table was TV sets and big donors.  For that reason they were viewed (by Nebraskans at least) as a bunch of rich kids that just used their privilege to influence their way into the conversation.  Nebraska (again from our standpoint) was seen as the school that had to overcome every disadvantage to achieve the level of success they had enjoyed to that point, it was the antithesis of Texas in that regard.

But because of Nebraska's dominance over the Big 8, and because of Texas' desire to influence everything during the formation of this new league (and by proxy the need to bring Nebraska back down to everyone else's level), our former Big 8 brethren were more than happy to help Texas use their influence against us.  That, naturally, was a bitter pill for all of us (but in hindsight, I don't blame any of them for doing what they did, we would have gladly done the same thing if it were, for instance, Colorado or Missouri that was dominating the league instead of us in the 90's).

We felt betrayed by this naturally, and from that time Texas was seen as the architect of Nebraska's downfall, whether this was real or just coincidental.

Fast forward another 15 years when Jim Delany announced the Big Ten was looking to expand and all of a sudden rumors started flying.  Texas was not so privately talking about moving out of the Big 12 and taking a bunch of others (not named Nebraska) with them.  This was a huge existential threat to the conference, if they had pulled their move off it was going to be the death knell for the Big 12 and the school that stood to lose the most in all of it was Nebraska.  It was a difficult time for everyone, we were extremely fortunate in that we were able to find a spot in the Big Ten.  But if we hadn't done that, it would have been disastrous for us I think, especially if the Big 12 had collapsed.

I don't think you could say Texas pushed Nebraska out of the Big 12 per se, as much as Nebraska was desperate to avoid disaster in this doomsday scenario.  They weren't pushing us out, but they sure as hell weren't going to do anything to help us during that time either.

So, yeah, Husker fans can and probably should feel a sense of bitterness towards Texas for turning our former mates against us.  Particularly Oklahoma, who chose their connection to Texas over us, that was maybe the most difficult pill to swallow.  And for Texas posing an existential threat to the Big 12 conference itself during conference realignment in the 2010's and again just a couple of years ago.

But a LOT of water has gone under the bridge since all that happened.  Texas is nothing but a distant memory to us at this point.  We are no longer associated with them in any way.  So beyond hanging on to old grudges, I don't see any reason to hate on them personally.  At least not to the level that so many Husker fans still do.  But that's just my opinion.

This is a very well thought out statement and 100% accurate.  And it didn't help that Nebraska couldn't beat Texas in Football that just added salt into the wound.  Great post!!!

2 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I can't help you either if you have no reasons.  They joined the conference and dominated Nebraska and people here didn't like it.  All I hear is we had to move the conference championship game to Texas which was the right move.  Beyond that, everything else is just speculation and sour grapes.  Nebraska liked it when it was the top dog in conference and once Texas joined and beat Nebraska all the time, everyone hated Texas and blamed them all for all the problems.

When renegotiating the Big XII TV contract back in 2010 Texas said, We’ll get 25 million, NU/OU you can have TWENTY & everyone else gets 15. That’s when T.O. wisely sought out greener pastures. Also in the last year of the Big 8 Conference we had the National Champions in Football, Volleyball & the Runner Up in Men’s Basketball. We certainly didn’t need Texas to keep us afloat, but since the B1G had just added Penn St & the SWC was falling apart it seemed prudent at the time. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

I'm not so sure about that. I've been flipped off on multiple occasions by Texas fans who saw me wearing Nebraska gear. No other interaction or context before those actions. And it wasn't even in the states of Nebraska or Texas. And it's been well over a decade since we've even been in that conference.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

When renegotiating the Big XII TV contract back in 2010 Texas said, We’ll get 25 million, NU/OU you can have TWENTY & everyone else gets 15. That’s when T.O. wisely sought out greener pastures. Also in the last year of the Big 8 Conference we had the National Champions in Football, Volleyball & the Runner Up in Men’s Basketball. We certainly didn’t need Texas to keep us afloat, but since the B1G had just added Penn St & the SWC was falling apart it seemed prudent at the time. 

That is not entirely true.  Texas didn't say we get $25 million and everyone else gets less.  The Big 12 policy was the TV contract with Fox is equally spit however, if your school generates additional revenue outside the Fox contract, then that particular school gets to keep that money.  Thus why Texas was getting paid more.  No one is saying NU or the Big 8 needed Texas but the conference asked them and other school to join.  It was obviously a blow to NU's ego that Texas was dominating NU in football.  There was a time when the Big 12 looked like it might collapse so NU was lucky enough to get an invite to join the Big 10 and they accepted.  It was probably the right move for NU to make at that time but hard to point a finger that Texas is the reason.