USC & UCLA TO JOIN BIG TEN (beginning 2024)!

Red Don

If you going to raid a conference, getting USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington is getting the pick of the litter for the Pac 12.  Personally, it makes no sense to have a conference that stretches from coast to coast but guess it's a sign of them times with money driving all the decisions.  I'd much rather grab some midwest teams like Iowa State, KU or K-state but don't ever see that happening.  I really thought the Big 10 missed the boat not trying to grab Texas and OU as that would have been a home run to land those two school but if can grab Oregon and Washington will be decent to add as well.

9 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I really thought the Big 10 missed the boat not trying to grab Texas and OU as that would have been a home run to land those two school but if can grab Oregon and Washington will be decent to add as well.

I never thought Texas would consider the B1G.  Their money doesn't mean squat to the blue bloods in the Big Ten.  So, they couldn't call the shots.  However, I'm sure they think they'll be a player in the corrupt SEC, which they will.  Lapdog OU will go along.  

All of these conference moves just reinforce the fact that college football has nothing to do with colleges. It's a professional sports league that needs teams in the biggest markets (or biggest alumni fan bases). Young fans have less connection with the university than they do with cool gear, the top players and the best programs.

College basketball is more like it used to be than football, but it's getting dragged along.

49 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

All of these conference moves just reinforce the fact that college football has nothing to do with colleges. It's a professional sports league that needs teams in the biggest markets (or biggest alumni fan bases). Young fans have less connection with the university than they do with cool gear, the top players and the best programs.

College basketball is more like it used to be than football, but it's getting dragged along.

I think the fact that one college conference makes millions and millions of dollars more per year just from their media contract than a top 4 highest-tier professional league in the US tells you enough about this sport.

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to a writer from Inglewood CA last night. He said simply by joining the B1G USC will NEVER Win another National Title in Football & UCLA won’t see one in Hoops for 20 years. Be careful what you wish for because your Dreams will Die in the cold Midwest. That’s what he said & I think he’s right. 

47 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I listened to a writer from Inglewood CA last night. He said simply by joining the B1G USC will NEVER Win another National Title in Football & UCLA won’t see one in Hoops for 20 years. Be careful what you wish for because your Dreams will Die in the cold Midwest. That’s what he said & I think he’s right. 

As far as USC I'll make this counter argument. The B1G will have them battle tested and ready for the expanded playoff. Making it MORE likely they win a championship. As far as UCLA I don't think it makes one bit of difference. Just have to make the tournament, get a good draw, and hopefully you're clicking at the right time. Same as before. But to the point of it all...neither wins a championship in the next 20 years 😁

3 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

As far as USC I'll make this counter argument. The B1G will have them battle tested and ready for the expanded playoff. Making it MORE likely they win a championship. As far as UCLA I don't think it makes one bit of difference. Just have to make the tournament, get a good draw, and hopefully you're clicking at the right time. Same as before. But to the point of it all...neither wins a championship in the next 20 years 😁

His main point was these programs are “Soft” and unprepared for what lies ahead. I know the Big Red won’t Front No Game…

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I'm gonna need the Big Ten to do me a solid and admit SDSU as the 15th member of the conference. And if they could then go and make them the 2nd protected rivalry game for the Huskers that'd be greeeeeeeat. 

And UNLV as 16th

On 6/17/2023 at 3:25 PM, cornfed24-7 said:

I am not opposed 😁

Former Iowa St/Washington St head coach and 1 time Husker assistant coach Jim Walden actually mentioned that the Pac 12 should add San Diego St and UNLV on Hail Varsity radio the other day. Las Vegas is growing and becoming a pro city with the addition of the Raiders and A's. It's a destination spot that will always get good crowds if conference championship events were held there. 

10 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

San Diego St. will likely be joining the Pac-12. That hasn't been a big secret.

Not unless the Pac-12 secures a reasonable TV deal. A lot of talk locally here that the Big 12 could swoop in and get them. Now this is from the local talking heads and the Pac 12 is still the most likely spot, but still something to watch. 

Edited by cornfed24-7

• 2 weeks later...