Rank Our Newcomers

I realize at this point this is a wild-ass guess and we're doing this mostly sight-unseen, but you have some degree of reputation to go by. You kind of know what our primary needs are.

Just rank your top 5 newcomers to our program. A newcomer, BTW, is anyone who hasn't logged minutes in a Husker uniform before this season. And this can be based on what you think or what you hope or whatever metric you choose. 

And for those who need it, here's the list:

2 Ramel Lloyd Jr, 6'6 G

3 Quaran McPherson, 6'3 G

4 Juwan Gary, 6'6 F

5 Sam Griesel, 6'6 G

10 Jamarques Lawrence, 6'3 G

12 Denim Dawson, 6'6 G/F

15 Blaise Keita, 6'11 F

25 Emmanuel Bandoumel, 6'4 G

33 Oleg Kojenets, 7'0 F

(And, yes, that's a long list of newcomers and what it means is that we only have 4 scholarship guys returning who've seen minutes in a Husker uni. So the newcomers are going to be *really* important.)

T5. Ramel/Denim- hard to decide between these two young guys.  I’m very high on Ramel, based on what I’ve seen and read.  However, I also like that Denim was able to get here early.  He’ll have that jumpstart and that might help him contribute more than a typical freshman.

4. Juwan-16 starts on an NCAA tourney team to me is a big plus here.  He was never “the guy” at Alabama, but he knows what it takes.

3. Emmanuel- Interesting late addition and he intrigued me.  Once again, can provide a nice vet presence for the new guys.

2. Blaise- How many years have we complained about our lack of a “true post”?  We finally have one.

1. Sam- Brings in vet leadership, has “been there” and can be a good springboard to help the new guys heading into their soph years.  Also a “Husker” at heart.

Edited by hskr4life

1. Griesel

2. Gary

3. Bandoumel

4. Lawrence - I think he'll surprise people and end up having the best Husker career of any of the freshman. 

5. Ramel - His talent will be obvious, but I suspect he won't be at Nebraska longer than a year.

I need to see Blaise get and stay healthy and conditioned before putting him on any list. 

I love the mindsets of McPherson and Dawson and think they'll be good team guys regardless of how much playing time they get. 

This team is going to have a completely different collective attitude than the past three rosters. No idea if that'll equate to more wins, but I personally will enjoy watching a team with this makeup more than Hoiberg's previous teams. 

1) Blaise Keita, 6'11 F    "Proven BIG"

2) Sam Griesel, 6'6 G    "Experience + Consistency - Glue Guy"

3) Juwan Gary, 6'6 F    "Defensive Prowess"

4)  Jamarques Lawrence, 6'3 G "Pure Shooter"

5) Denim Dawson, 6'6 G/F  "Can Do (dives for balls)  if not for just his name alone"

5 minutes ago, 49r said:

The last four years of Husker fandom has broken me.

If they do read this board then my message to them would be "prove me wrong".

‘Still seems ridiculous to call kids scrubs who have chosen to come and bust their ass for our team. Especially since you must have not seen them play. A few of them have already proven themselves as quality players at other schools. No need for cheap shots just because you are unhappy

1. Griesel - proven commodity

2. Gary - D and boards guy

3. Emmanuel - Trey 2.0

4. Keita - guaranteed minutes since he's one of only two 5s on our team.  Will contribute even if he's not ready, so we better hope he's ready.

5. Lloyd - highest ceiling on the team

5 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

1. Griesel - proven commodity

2. Gary - D and boards guy

3. Emmanuel - Trey 2.0

4. Keita - guaranteed minutes since he's one of only two 5s on our team.  Will contribute even if he's not ready, so we better hope he's ready.

5. Lloyd - highest ceiling on the team

I'm similar to this, but I have ...

1. Griesel -- veteran, steady leadership in a guy who will probably have the ball in his hands a lot.

2. Keita -- we need him to be the player we think we are getting, ie, someone who can score efficiently down low against D and draw double teams.

3. Bandoumel -- maybe Trey 2.0 with a better shooting touch.

4. Gary -- Offensively unrefined, but high end motor.

5. Lloyd -- completely agree, appears to have highest ceiling on the team. Hope his body holds out/holds up.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

T5. Ramel/Denim- hard to decide between these two young guys.  I’m very high on Ramel, based on what I’ve seen and read.  However, I also like that Denim was able to get here early.  He’ll have that jumpstart and that might help him contribute more than a typical freshman.

4. Juwan-16 starts on an NCAA tourney team to me is a big plus here.  He was never “the guy” at Alabama, but he knows what it takes.

3. Emmanuel- Interesting late addition and he intrigued me.  Once again, can provide a nice vet presence for the new guys.

2. Blaise- How many years have we complained about our lack of a “true post”?  We finally have one.

1. Sam- Brings in vet leadership, has “been there” and can be a good springboard to help the new guys heading into their soph years.  Also a “Husker” at heart.

Pretty darn close to my guess.  But hard to evaluate until we actually see them.  Heck, 49r may be spot on as well.

Edited by Huskerpapa

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

I'm similar to this, but I have ...

1. Griesel -- veteran, steady leadership in a guy who will probably have the ball in his hands a lot.

2. Keita -- we need him to be the player we think we are getting, ie, someone who can score efficiently down low against D and draw double teams.

3. Bandoumel -- maybe Trey 2.0 with a better shooting touch.

4. Gary -- Offensively unrefined, but high end motor.

5. Lloyd -- completely agree, appears to have highest ceiling on the team. Hope his body holds out/holds up.

Speaking of unrefined but high end motor, kind of reminds you of the Shelby Ford at Le Mans, huh?

50 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

who have chosen to come and bust their ass for our team

Jury's out on that.  The first three groups didn't exactly inspire confidence that a Hoiberg-led group will come in and "bust their ass" for anything...other than maybe a podcast, NIL deal, or weekly show on 93.9.

4 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

‘Still seems ridiculous to call kids scrubs who have chosen to come and bust their ass for our team. Especially since you must have not seen them play. A few of them have already proven themselves as quality players at other schools. No need for cheap shots just because you are unhappy

Calm down Francis. If they do read this board and they're so fragile some guy on a message board calling them scrubs has any affect on them we're in trouble.

There is one maybe two guys on this list that starts on another Big Ten team. And not a team in the top half of the conference.

Edited by cornfed24-7
sp

1. Keita. 6'11" 😐 230 lbs. 😯 #1 Juco in Kansas Averaged 50.3% from the field, 72.8 from the line with 17 points 12.8 REB 2.7 BLK and 1 STL per game/40 🤩

We need him to be able to get within the ballpark of what he did in JUCO if this team is going to be successful. Not only is he going to need to help out on offense but in order for this team to be close to the defense it will take for this roster to win games he will need to be even better at defending the rim.

2. Lloyd He will actually be a better player than Keita but Keita is more critical to winning in the Big Ten. And the big man can't put the ball in the basket unless someone passes him the ball. Besides our last long armed pg turned out pretty good.

3. Juwan Gary This guy was a star in high school and then he tore his acl. After rehabbing he played pretty well off the bench for a real good Alabama team. He is a very efficient scorer and he is also a good rebounder. Honestly he could easily be #1 but I'm not gonna lie, I would love to have this guy off the bench giving short bursts of efficient scoring, forcing his way to rebounds and being the guy making sure we don't have no multiple minute scoring droughts.

4. McPherson If you're gonna count him I will use him. He is a very talented player who had some serious offers coming out. He redshirted last year so he knows the playbook ,has got his college body and is ready to go. The reason he's not higher is that he is at the position with the most depth and so he may not have the pt to match the others.

5. Kojenets This is the tough one. Griesel, Bandoumel or Kojenets? It could have easily be any of the three but I will go Kojenets just because he has something the other two don't and there is less competition at his spot. Expecially considering fouls can pile up in this league. If he redshirts then Griesel is the next option. I know he's not redshirting. 😄

13 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

Calm down Francis. If they do read this board and they're so fragile some guy on a message board calling them scrubs has any affect on them we're in trouble.

There is one maybe two guys on this list that starts on another Big Ten team. And not a team in the top half of the conference.

It's "Lighten Up Francis" and not "calm down Francis"

8 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

1. Keita. 6'11" 😐 230 lbs. 😯 #1 Juco in Kansas Averaged 50.3% from the field, 72.8 from the line with 17 points 12.8 REB 2.7 BLK and 1 STL per game/40 🤩

We need him to be able to get within the ballpark of what he did in JUCO if this team is going to be successful. Not only is he going to need to help out on offense but in order for this team to be close to the defense it will take for this roster to win games he will need to be even better at defending the rim.

2. Lloyd He will actually be a better player than Keita but Keita is more critical to winning in the Big Ten. And the big man can't put the ball in the basket unless someone passes him the ball. Besides our last long armed pg turned out pretty good.

3. Juwan Gary This guy was a star in high school and then he tore his acl. After rehabbing he played pretty well off the bench for a real good Alabama team. He is a very efficient scorer and he is also a good rebounder. Honestly he could easily be #1 but I'm not gonna lie, I would love to have this guy off the bench giving short bursts of efficient scoring, forcing his way to rebounds and being the guy making sure we don't have no multiple minute scoring droughts.

4. McPherson If you're gonna count him I will use him. He is a very talented player who had some serious offers coming out. He redshirted last year so he knows the playbook ,has got his college body and is ready to go. The reason he's not higher is that he is at the position with the most depth and so he may not have the pt to match the others.

5. Kojenets This is the tough one. Griesel, Bandoumel or Kojenets? It could have easily be any of the three but I will go Kojenets just because he has something the other two don't and there is less competition at his spot. Expecially considering fouls can pile up in this league. If he redshirts then Griesel is the next option. I know he's not redshirting. 😄

Goodness...I needed a pump or two os sunshine onto my coffee this morning---thank you ;)

8 hours ago, Blackshirt83 said:

2. Lloyd... Besides our last long armed pg turned out pretty good.

3. Juwan Gary... He is a very efficient scorer

4. McPherson... He is a very talented player who had some serious offers coming out....The reason he's not higher is that he is at the position with the most depth and so he may not have the pt to match the others.

5. Kojenets... If he redshirts then Griesel is the next option.

This is some very bizarre analysis. 

HCFH talked about PGs last week, and said the depth chart is Griesel, McPherson, and Jacobsen.  No mention of Lloyd.  Clearly Lloyd is slotting in at the 2/3, not the 1.

Gary is a lot of things, but an efficient scorer? 51% FG% as a post player.  And 22% from three/61% from the stripe (which actually was a major improvement over the prior year, when he was 11% from three/53% from the line).  

McPherson's offer list left a lot to be desired:  Iona, Providence, St John's, Nebraska.

Kojenets already redshirted last year.  

15 hours ago, cornfed24-7 said:

I guess I will comment as I see fit Francis. I believe it was an unnecessary shot at some kids most of us will be cheering for this year. Plus right now you have no clue how these guys will pan out compared to other BIG teams. Fred has earned the criticism but the new kids absolutely have not.

33 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Gary is a lot of things, but an efficient scorer? 51% FG% as a post player.  And 22% from three/61% from the stripe (which actually was a major improvement over the prior year, when he was 11% from three/53% from the line).  

From two point range, Gary shot 63%--that's efficient.  And Alabama lists him as a 6 foot 6 inch "Forward," not a post.

Gary didn't shoot much from 3 (from his highlights--the ones that went in--many were hail marys at the end of the shot clock).

His free throw percentage does need improvement.

53 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

McPherson's offer list left a lot to be desired:  Iona, Providence, St John's, Nebraska.  

According to Robin Washut:

But the Huskers decided to add one more piece to the puzzle on Monday and landed a commitment from 2021 Link Year (Mo.) guard Quaran McPherson.  The three-star native of Queens, N.Y., chose NU over other offers from Arizona State, Georgia, St. John’s, and other high-majors.