Didn't stay up to watch the whole draft

8 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Looking back now it seems pretty cornball, but as an elementary school student when this was unveiled I thought this was pretty cool!  I feel like this was one of the first really obvious occurrences of video games influencing sports broadcasting.  I'll concede that the XFL did some interesting things, but every network and league is trying to make their coverage appear more like a video game now.  Makes complete sense given the demographics being targeted and how titles such as Madden and 2K have become engrained into pop culture.

Thats a good point, and if you watch Formula 1 you would have a hard time deciding whether it's a video game or live sports.

16 hours ago, 49r said:

Hate to rain on your parade there but this is false.  Skycam first appeared in the 80's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skycam

In fact I remember watching the Orange Bowl on NBC in one of the first games it was used, and remember getting a feeling of seasickness watching it.

I want to say, but don't remember for sure, that several Huskers home games in the 90's featured Skycam.  Again, predating the XFL.

(Although it is true that the XFL was the first entity that tried, but eventually gave up on, using Skycam as the primary camera angle for broadcasts)

haha didn't rain on my parade.  Appreciate the correction.  Think it's becauise it was used so little in that game tht I didn't recall it.  Vince used it left and right.  Orange Bowl used it...blink and you miss it. 

19 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Why, the old rule was a step and before the next step the ball must be released. Elgin Baylor would have thrived with the extra step allowed today. To me it’s a mockery of the rules.

I don’t think you know/understand what the euro step is. I believe you’re confusing the gather step that’s being used as justification for nearly 3 steps, and the euro step. 

20 hours ago, Cazzie22 said:

Why, the old rule was a step and before the next step the ball must be released. Elgin Baylor would have thrived with the extra step allowed today. To me it’s a mockery of the rules.

The way the rule always read was a step in a half. That's how layups have been shot since the beginning of layups. Right side would be right-left and release before the right foot comes down again.  The only difference is the Euro doesn't go in a straight line. And technically, the step count doesn't start until you' ve gathered the ball but that would make a refs head explode.

Edited by Dean Smith

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I don’t think you know/understand what the euro step is. I believe you’re confusing the gather step that’s being used as justification for nearly 3 steps, and the euro step. 

Obviously not.  But basketball skill doesn’t need three steps to play. To me, it’s traveling.  Just my view. 

Lol...good side subject.  I laugh, at least in part, because the move is now named.  Why was it named, if it did not include a definition of a new basketball move?   Was it legal for a euro-step to be used ten years or so ago?  

This is basically a change on what is or isn't travelling without changing the rules.  We simply allowed American basketball to mirror an international rule.  Correct?