2024 G Nick Janowski is N

• 9 months later...

Interesting prospect. His video shows a lot of what we love about Tominaga, but at 6'3", 6'4". And that was before my brain connected they're both lefties. He's definitely got some "violence" to his game too, wouldn't call him athletic, but he's very decisive and violent in his actions. 

But being a Wisconsin kid, with a Wisconsin offer - and the "FU attitude" he had on display in some of those clips - I can't see him anywhere else but there. Looks born to play there. 

9 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Interesting prospect. His video shows a lot of what we love about Tominaga, but at 6'3", 6'4". And that was before my brain connected they're both lefties. He's definitely got some "violence" to his game too, wouldn't call him athletic, but he's very decisive and violent in his actions. 

But being a Wisconsin kid, with a Wisconsin offer - and the "FU attitude" he had on display in some of those clips - I can't see him anywhere else but there. Looks born to play there. 

Yeah, he's the prototypical Wisconsin guy.  Just looks the part.

On 3/22/2023 at 12:30 PM, basketballjones said:

The Wisconsin AD might want to bring in the basketball version of Luke Fickell, and completely change the type of player they target.  We shall see if that works for Fickell.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Why’s that?

So reading up on r/Collegebasketball about this kid it seems like Wisco and Marquette didn't really pursue him (red flag) and I don't know much about his other offers other than Iowa State had a non-committable offer out.  Again, strange for a supposed 4 star from the area.

He just seems like the prototypical Badger.  So much so, in fact, that I just expected him to even just walk on if there was no offer pending.

I still would say it's only probably 50-50 the kid even makes it to campus.  2024 is a long time from now.  So, I guess I'm not really gonna get to excited.  But hey, I like it and it would be pretty friggin awesome if he actually comes here and is productive.

Just watched his 12 minute highlight video. Not overly athletic, but this kid is a straight up hooper. As a junior in HS has more polish than most college seniors. Obviously hard to read too much from just a highlight video, but he gives me some real Tominaga vibes in the way he shoots/plays. 

One question I have is whether he is a PG or a SG. If he is not a PG then he is a bit small and unathletic for the 2, and may have defensive limitations similar to Keisei 

45 minutes ago, 49r said:

So reading up on r/Collegebasketball about this kid it seems like Wisco and Marquette didn't really pursue him (red flag) and I don't know much about his other offers other than Iowa State had a non-committable offer out.  Again, strange for a supposed 4 star from the area.

He just seems like the prototypical Badger.  So much so, in fact, that I just expected him to even just walk on if there was no offer pending.

I still would say it's only probably 50-50 the kid even makes it to campus.  2024 is a long time from now.  So, I guess I'm not really gonna get to excited.  But hey, I like it and it would be pretty friggin awesome if he actually comes here and is productive.

If I'm looking at Marquette and Wisconsin's scholarship boards correctly they seem pretty full up.

We, on the other hand, have 2024 scholarships to spare.

The jury is out on how good the non-Matt A HS recruiting is

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/nick-janowski-277152?view=pv

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Nick-Janowski-150866/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/college/basketball/recruiting/Article/Nick-Janowski-commits-Nebraska-Brandons-Breakdown-208361168/

Brandon's Breakdown: What will Nick Janowski bring to Nebraska?

ByBRANDON JENKINS 

Fred Hoiberg has landed his first pledge in the Class of 2024. This evening, Nick Janowskiannounced his commitment to Nebraska.

A 6-foot-3 shooting guard out of Pewaukee (Wisc.) High, Janowski chose the Cornhuskers over offers from Georgia Tech, Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette, USC, Virginia Tech, and Wisconsin. His commitment comes after he completed an official visit to Nebraska at the end of last month.

In Janowski, Hoiberg is getting one of the best competitors from the guard position in the national 2024 class. While he will not wow you with athleticism, his energy level is always high and he is one of those players who is all about winning.

Janowski is productive and plays to his strengths at his own pace. He is a great decision maker when operating on the floor and he excels at finding the open man with on-time and on-target passes within the flow of an offense.

He is effective playing or without the ball in his hands and will be an ideal secondary ball-handling option in the Big Ten. Janowski is also a reliable shot maker who can be a threat from behind the arc.

Known for his desire to compete, Janowski is a three-time state champion whose game exudes a tremendous amount of confidence. He should be an asset Hoiberg will enjoy being around on and off the floor during his time in Lincoln.

Rated a four-star prospect by 247Sports, Janowski is ranked No. 80 overall in the Top150 player rankings for the junior class.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Yeah

But it's all timing.  At some point those teams very well might have openings where Janowski might have preferred to commit there but that means you're sitting around waiting on something that might not happen while other offers potentially close up.

It would seem that Iowa St stopped recruiting Janowski because they filled up there.  

image.png

At the end of the day no idea if we have the next Glynn Watson or the next Nick Fuller here but assuming that we have a coaching staff that knows what type of guys will work here I think we're offering guys who we think would fit it and then going for it.