Fred Is Excited!

Red Don

Blowing it up is interesting.  I believe I identified the players correctly.  It is sort of interesting when you compare the apparent height difference between Oleg and Wilhelm, who are standing side by side along with our other bigs who are further down the line...

Oh and a couple of the comments made me smile as well.

Edited by Huskerpapa

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

That has not historically been a good career move for players in this program.

Agree.  There were several takes about that subject in a different thread about a week ago.   

(Year 4 thread)

Edited by Huskerpapa

12 hours ago, basketballjones said:

I think it’s pretty clear Fred’s realized he can’t be a CEO and has to take a much more active role. Good for him. College basketball is still more like high school basketball than it is the NBA. Those who’ve realized that and still manage egos, transfers, and NIL are going to be the successful ones. 

it's interesting that the Football and Basketball programs have had similer results, but have to go in opposite directions.  Fred can't be the CEO and has to take a more hands on approach...and Scott has to pretty much give up the hands on approach and take on the CEO role for the footbal program.  Will be interesting to see how the changes work out. 

I guess I must be a tad out of touch.  I do believe the edict was for Fred to be more a CEO as well.  He has been heavily involved on offense.  He has a reputation as a shooting expert and often talks about his offense being adaptable.  

He now has three assistants that are supposedly good at player development.  One who is a defensive wiz and has divided up recruiting to all.

I sort of think that the major "change" likely involves holding everyone accountable and having clear lines of responsibility for coaches and players. 

48 minutes ago, royalfan said:

We aren’t going to be the most intimidating outfit “walking off the bus.”

I recently read some sort of evaluation of the husker football team from a rival big ten coach.  He said they may be the best looking football team in the division getting off the bus...but just wait, they will self-destruct and fall apart on their own; or something akin to that.  The goopher coach said our team lacked character; or again something like that.  That was simply never the case from about 1967 through about 2007.

The point that I am poorly meandering towards is that a "team" doesn't necessarily have to look the part as long as they can play the part.  I am more than ready for all of our major teams to play the part!

6 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I guess I must be a tad out of touch.  I do believe the edict was for Fred to be more a CEO as well.  He has been heavily involved on offense.  He has a reputation as a shooting expert and often talks about his offense being adaptable.  

He now has three assistants that are supposedly good at player development.  One who is a defensive wiz and has divided up recruiting to all.

I sort of think that the major "change" likely involves holding everyone accountable and having clear lines of responsibility for coaches and players. 

That is an interesting take on it and to what I said…. 

I got the sense that he was operating as a CEO beforehand, especially with recruiting and general management of the team. And that he was also kind of just trusting certain assistants to do their thing and implement his stuff. I have yet to go to a FH practice, but the assertion I got from others was that he was quite a bit hands off, “big picture,” with stuff. 

My understanding was the edict made to him was to take a more hands-on approach to player procurement and development, and more involvement in the minutiae coaching aspects. 

So, we’re sorta saying the same thing? A bit of semantics I suppose…