Recruiting for 2023

We have a good start for the 2023 recruiting cycle with Chase Clemmons at point guard.  We have an excellent chance at Parker Freidrichsen as an off-guard.  And I would love to add Kadyn Betts from Colorado as a power forward to this class.  All three would be solid building blocks for our program. All three would give me hope for the future.

20 minutes ago, 75unlgrad said:

We have a good start for the 2023 recruiting cycle with Chase Clemmons at point guard.  We have an excellent chance at Parker Freidrichsen as an off-guard.  And I would love to add Kadyn Betts from Colorado as a power forward to this class.  All three would be solid building blocks for our program. All three would give me hope for the future.

Let's see how this season goes...then we'll talk about hope 😉

The biggest problem is that NLI (National Letter of Intent, not to be confused with NIL) signing day is before the season gets going and we have to sell them on our last year's resume. So, if we have a *really* good '22-'23 season, it won't happen in time for the '23 recruits to see the progress.

We'll just have to sell '23 recruits the same stuff we've been selling fans for the last 3 years.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The biggest problem is that NLI (National Letter of Intent, not to be confused with NIL) signing day is before the season gets going and we have to sell them on our last year's resume. So, if we have a *really* good '22-'23 season, it won't happen in time for the '23 recruits to see the progress.

We'll just have to sell '23 recruits the same stuff we've been selling fans for the last 3 years.

I have to hope that we have a legitimate shot at landing both Freidrichsen and Betts.  I donl't want to give up hope and be a football fan only.

41 minutes ago, 75unlgrad said:

I have to hope that we have a legitimate shot at landing both Freidrichsen and Betts.  I donl't want to give up hope and be a football fan only.

Once you cross over & become MORE of a Basketball fan than Football fan your life becomes so much simpler. Hoops fans love ❤️ our History regardless & know our Golden Era lies ahead. Football fans are forever chasing ghosts… 

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Once you cross over & become MORE of a Basketball fan than Football fan your life becomes so much simpler. Hoops fans love ❤️ our History regardless & know our Golden Era lies ahead. Football fans are forever chasing ghosts… 

I've been on that proverbial fence for a while, albeit I love all Husker sports so the fence is fairly wide and patient for all comers, which hopefully allows for more enjoyment and less fretting in the future. Life's too short to be disgruntled & impatient all the frickin' time, it's better to be gruntled and patient. Makes it much more simple as a 'fan' !!

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

It seems I have been a lone Husker basketball fan wherever I have lived.  It's all football and no basketball.  I also enjoy Husker football but I have always followed the basketball team.  I was excited to join the Big 10 because it is a basketball power and we would have to 'up' our game.  We built 'The Vault' and hired Tim Miles.  The team with Roby, Copeland, Palmer and Watson sent my expectations skyrocketing for Husker basketball.  I thought we would compete in the top half of the conference -- I was wrong.  Then we hired Fred.  Again, I thought we would become fixtures in the top half of our conference -- and again, I have been wrong.  But I am not without hope.  If we can land Freidrichsen and Betts, we have a chance.  "So I'm saying there is a chance." 

Just now, cornfed24-7 said:

Screenshot_20220607-084519_Samsung Internet.jpg

yeah I was today years old when I learned it...just after reading @Norm Peterson's post...(well I guess I probably knew it previously but had totally forgot, seeing as how it's been like 35 years since I saw that movie last)

But his post mentioning this led me to seek out the clip of that scene and I also learned that Robbins absolutely TOWERS over the rest of the actors in that scene.  Kinda surprised he got the part considering how much taller he is than Tom Cruise.

I don't know honestly why we are even talking about recruiting anyway, when places like Duke are now hiring "GM's" to manage their rosters with the huge stacks of cash that their boosters and Nike have at their disposal:

College basketball is clearly playing a completely different game that we are not even a part of (not that we really ever were, and do not show any signs of having any intention of playing now, or ever, but I digress).

Right now is probably as bleak of a time as it has ever been to be a Nebrasketball fan (and that's honestly saying something) and it appears that it will only continue to become more bleak as time goes on.  Sadly.

Edited by 49r

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Handy: You are mixing up Sarandon and Robbins with Jack Nicholson and Lang. Actually, Sarandon and Nicholson appeared together in "The Witches of Eastwick". I understand that all four were seen eating at Applebee's last night to straighten out the confusion. Burt couldn't make it since he is deceased. 

Robbins & Sarandon met during “Bull Durham” & were a couple for years. She has a topless scene in “Atlantic City” that speaks for itself…

13 hours ago, 49r said:

I don't know honestly why we are even talking about recruiting anyway, when places like Duke are now hiring "GM's" to manage their rosters with the huge stacks of cash that their boosters and Nike have at their disposal:

College basketball is clearly playing a completely different game that we are not even a part of (not that we really ever were, and do not show any signs of having any intention of playing now, or ever, but I digress).

Right now is probably as bleak of a time as it has ever been to be a Nebrasketball fan (and that's honestly saying something) and it appears that it will only continue to become more bleak as time goes on.  Sadly.

How so? We had a top 20 recruiting class last year. The transfers and recruits we've gotten since aren't exactly terrible either. 

7 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

How so? We had a top 20 recruiting class last year. The transfers and recruits we've gotten since aren't exactly terrible either. 

Yeah...

"top 20" one time.  That's great.  They're bringing in top 10 classes every single year at minimum.

I'll reiterate.  We aren't even in the same galaxy as those schools when it comes to recruiting.  They're bringing in full grown men ready for the NBA when they step on campus; we're bringing in little boys who aren't quite sure they know what a campus is.

They have a budget for their roster that reaches up into the millions of dollars funded by the biggest corporations on the planet.  We get our boys to tweet out something about a donut shop or tire repair service once or twice during their time in Lincoln that will get them an extra couple grand maybe.

2 hours ago, 49r said:

Yeah...

"top 20" one time.  That's great.  They're bringing in top 10 classes every single year at minimum.

I'll reiterate.  We aren't even in the same galaxy as those schools when it comes to recruiting.  They're bringing in full grown men ready for the NBA when they step on campus; we're bringing in little boys who aren't quite sure they know what a campus is.

They have a budget for their roster that reaches up into the millions of dollars funded by the biggest corporations on the planet.  We get our boys to tweet out something about a donut shop or tire repair service once or twice during their time in Lincoln that will get them an extra couple grand maybe.

I don’t think it is wise to compare ourselves to the Dukes and Kentuckys of the world.  Of course we aren’t on the same planet as them.  Right now we should be comparing ourselves to the Iowas, Wisconsins, and Illinois (and even Rutgers) level teams.  Our recruiting on paper isn’t out of range for what those schools do.  We can achieve that level of success.  Wisconsin, for being such a strong program, doesn’t do it by pulling 5 stars.  Johnny Davis was a 3 star.  They play very good team ball and do a great job with player development.

The trick is we have to actually play good basketball to get there.  And that is where my trepidation comes from…it has been awhile since I have seen that consistently here.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:25 PM, 49r said:

Here’s your “Market Correction” when it comes to NIL money. It’s a GIANT F’ You to about 300 other Division 1 Basketball Programs…