Maggie Mendelson, Maddie Krull, & Callin Hake Sports Nightly interviews

Red Don

8 hours ago, 12dozen said:

Your 'under the radar' Huskers?  Don't leave us hanging here. 🙂

The reason I say under the radar is these two didn't end up playing two sports.

#1, which counts IMO, would be Amanda Buchholz. She shows up on the 1999 Women's hoops roster but never played a game that I'm aware of. She was to play basketball and softball but ended up finishing out her Husker playing career at shortstop. Was also eternally a fan because of Ogallala's slaying of the South Sioux City giant in 1999 at the State Tournament. When you're from out west, none of the teams you play are ever taken seriously at State. That was a fun one for us hayseeds. Buchholz ended up coaching for NU as well and last time I knew, was still coaching softball somewhere at a Power 5 school.

#2 I kind of blew up between then and now. In my memory, Eric Strickland was on loan at one point to the football team as they prepped for a bowl game or something but I couldn't find anything on it. Some of the older folks probably remember/know that Strickland could have competed in four sports at NU if he wanted to and coaches were willing.

Tanner Farmer is the most recent I can recall that competed for two teams, Football and Wrestling.

Also will be looking up Keith Nuebert @Huskerpapa that's one I didn't know and was hoping there would be at least one of those in here.

@KarlHessEatMy.... Those two ladies were fun to watch for sure. 

@12dozen Props for mentioning The King - Erstad and of course Miracle Matt. And Havers/Meyer/Cepero as well. 

Edited by hoop_head

3 hours ago, hoop_head said:

Eric Strickland was on loan at one point to the football team as they prepped for a bowl game or something but I couldn't find anything on it. Some of the older folks probably remember/know that Strickland could have competed in four sports at NU if he wanted to and coaches were willing.

Strick was a football stud in high school.  I definitely believe he could have chosen to be a football player on defense.  He took a sniff at the football team, but wiser people stepped in and told him not to risk his basketball future.  Wise.

Neubert chose the right sport in the end, but he was certainly serviceable in basketball.

I did think of another player...Wilson Thomas.  Was a very good football player and then joined the basketball team.  I seem to remember that Bobby Knight gave him kudos after one game.  He was athletic and didn't mind mixing it up.

OH! @Huskerpapa that's a great one!I Forgot Wilson Thomas. What a great athlete that guy was!

And @huskerchodeForgot about the Davis boys doing some track/field. Or at least one of them did IIRC, throw the discus.

There's just an intrinsic, extra piece of beauty present in the athletes that do more than one sport. They're not doing it because they have to, they attempt it because they LOVE it. Nothing is more beautiful than love on display.

Edited by hoop_head

• 2 weeks later...
  • Red Don changed the title to 2022 Maggie Mendelson (#44) Sports Nightly Interview 6/29/22
  • Red Don changed the title to Maggie Mendelson (#44) & Maddie Krull (#42) Sports Nightly interviews

Callin Hake interview on Sports Nightly 7/7/22

(Callin is room-mates with Maggie Mendelson)

Skip ahead to about the 1:36:00 mark through about the 1:42:00 mark.

Sorry, audio only (the video on youtube abrubtly cuts off about halfway through image.gif)

https://huskers.com/watch/?Archive=7496&type=Archive

• Red Don changed the title to Maggie Mendelson, Maddie Krull, & Callin Hake Sports Nightly interviews
On 6/15/2022 at 5:34 PM, hoop_head said:

The reason I say under the radar is these two didn't end up playing two sports.

#1, which counts IMO, would be Amanda Buchholz. She shows up on the 1999 Women's hoops roster but never played a game that I'm aware of. She was to play basketball and softball but ended up finishing out her Husker playing career at shortstop. Was also eternally a fan because of Ogallala's slaying of the South Sioux City giant in 1999 at the State Tournament. When you're from out west, none of the teams you play are ever taken seriously at State. That was a fun one for us hayseeds. Buchholz ended up coaching for NU as well and last time I knew, was still coaching softball somewhere at a Power 5 school.

#2 I kind of blew up between then and now. In my memory, Eric Strickland was on loan at one point to the football team as they prepped for a bowl game or something but I couldn't find anything on it. Some of the older folks probably remember/know that Strickland could have competed in four sports at NU if he wanted to and coaches were willing.

Tanner Farmer is the most recent I can recall that competed for two teams, Football and Wrestling.

Also will be looking up Keith Nuebert @Huskerpapa that's one I didn't know and was hoping there would be at least one of those in here.

@KarlHessEatMy.... Those two ladies were fun to watch for sure. 

@12dozen Props for mentioning The King - Erstad and of course Miracle Matt. And Havers/Meyer/Cepero as well. 

Wasn't Buchholz not playing BB a thing with the coaching staff?

• 2 weeks later...