Maggie Mendelson, Maddie Krull, & Callin Hake Sports Nightly interviews

Red Don

:Welcome2: Maggie Mendelson!!! (#44) :Cheer2::Cheer2::Cheer2:

Amy said after she graduated she would come to Nebraska and work out with the WBB team until fall practice started for WVB and the be with that program until the season was finished.

https://huskers.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/maggie-mendelson/43961

Edited by Red Don

Last year pretty sure the volleyball practice started in early August, so at least she'll be on the BBall court for a couple of months.  That's way better than not practicing with the BBall team until about Jan. (after NCAA volleyball tourney)

Really would love to be a BBall bug on the wall and see the "new" team at work. It's going to be a lot of new faces.....and improved faces from last season. Last years freshman should make an even bigger presence than last season.  Just an overall updated team.  Way to early...... but we just about have to be in a better place.  

from Sam McKewon's column:

Two-sport star

The five-star arrived on campus this weekend. That’s 6-foot-5 Maggie Mendelson, the nation’s No. 2 volleyball recruit (for 2023) and No. 32 women’s basketball recruit (for 2022).

She will play both sports at Nebraska, and she’s an interesting case: By graduating a year early from high school, Mendelson, who turned 17 two months ago, doubles as one of the highest-profile and youngest student-athletes in Husker history. Givens Price was 16 when he joined the football program, but he was widely expected to be a developmental project. He didn’t start until his fourth year on campus.

Mendelson is expected to start, well, sooner than that.

There is an article in the LJS today regarding Mendelson and the Huskers.  Below is an excerpt from it, with a mention of Brady and Dillard.

Summer practice begins: The Huskers began summer practice Monday. The team started with a smaller group but will be welcoming players back as the summer proceeds. Freshman Callin Hake from Minnesota graduated Friday and will report to Lincoln this weekend.

Jaz Shelley and Isabelle Bourne went home to Australia and will join the team in a few weeks.

Sam Haiby had offseason shoulder surgery. She’s doing some workouts but hasn’t been cleared for shooting drills yet.

Nebraska is expected to have all five starters from the end of last season back — Allison Weidner, Alexis Markowski, Shelley, Bourne and Haiby.

Guards Trinity Brady and Nailah Dillard are both practicing after missing all of last season with injuries.

Is she on a volleyball or basketball scholarship?   

I wonder if be able to maintain her game given the rigours  of the college game versus high school?  Especially in a power five conference.   

I wonder if she will remain "happy" if Amy plays her in a more limited role in order to conserve her skills and stamina? 

I think Maddie Mendelson is on a Basketball scholarship;  as I understand it I think it's a numbers game, but I think her primary focus is 1. Volleyball, and 2. Basketball.

I believe she did graduate a year early from HS;  (she'll be a year younger than other incoming freshmen and may make for a more difficult transition to the college game).

She won't be Playing Basketball until After the Volleyball season is finished (should be available to play WBB around the time they start their in-conference schedule) so not sure whether conserving stamina would be much of a factor from a basketball standpoint.  I'd think the lack of BB practice while she is involved in the Volleyball Team might be a bigger factor in Amy's determining her playing time and how she integrates into the player's schemes.

:Salute:

Per John Cook:

Two-sport athlete freshman Maggie Mendelson arrived on campus in June but is with the women’s basketball program for a few weeks before joining the volleyball team.

“Maggie has to integrate in and she’s going to come in and start with basketball in June,” Cook said. “This will be great because she’ll get to play volleyball and recallibrate for volleyball as she goes into our two-a-days. She’s somebody that could potentially play as a freshman.”

@HUD

image.png

Just Please don't count me as one of 'em!  ;)

Edited by Red Don

Is she on a volleyball or basketball scholarship?   
I wonder if be able to maintain her game given the rigours  of the college game versus high school?  Especially in a power five conference.   
I wonder if she will remain "happy" if Amy plays her in a more limited role in order to conserve her skills and stamina? 
Basketball.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Agree with HUD

Maggie isn't a "typical" freshman. She's already had international experience like Issie and Jaz did before coming here. Was the #32 basketball recruit nationally as a 6-5 center.

She played for both USA Basketball and USA Volleyball teams at international tournaments in Mexico this last summer and fall, winning a gold medal with basketball at the U16 Americas Championship and a bronze medal at the FIVB U18 World Championship.

Like I said when she committed.....she will be huge for this program.

Edited by redsteve

I too am excited about seeing MM on the court(s).  I do worry a bit about the likelihood of her remaining a two sport athlete.  I don't have an actual count of the % of players who start that way and remain for more than a year, but it seems to me that most settle on one sport only.  To do otherwise - the schedule must be tiring - almost never a meaningful break between June and March. To a 17 year old experiencing the adventure of leaving home and entering big time college athletics and full of confidence and feeling no fear ... it looks doable. But then comes the "wear down" effect of mentally adapting to two sports, maintaining relationships with two sets of coaches and teammates, and the physical effects of constant training. I think there was a female athlete in Utah who stuck with it all four years, but other than her can anyone think of others? 

When one of my kids was being recruited (one sport, not two) I recall a coach providing the following:  When you are a scholarship athlete you have three things available--your athletic dream, your academic dreams and requirements and your social life.  He went on to say most kids can only be successful in two of those three areas.

In this case, Maggie will be attempting to master and meet or exceed expectations in two major sports.  Coaches will coachspeak to the media; but both Williams and Cook have their teams and team chemistry that is their highest priority.  Conflicts are sure to occur.

I am in no way saying she cannot or will not succeed.  But it will be difficult.  

By the way, Coach Williams likely sees this conundrum daily within her own household, given her daughter is pretty darn special in at least three high school sports...

Edited by Huskerpapa

• Red Don changed the title to 2022 Maggie Mendelson on Campus (#44)

One thing to remember about Maggie M. is that she is extremely smart for example graduating in 3 years from High School with a high GPA.  If it doesn't work out to play 2 sports in college so be it.  Not to try and then wonder if she could have done it the rest of her life is not good either.  We all need to support her in this endeavor as we do all our athletes in their chosen sport.

I think what also will be working in Basketball favor is that Volleyball is so over done with scholarships that I dont think volleyball can afford her to stop playing basketball. I honestly see it happening where if she cant keep up with 2 sports she will 1) switch to volleyball scholarship if enough ppl transfer out eventually but we have so many girls coming in every year not sure if Cook will take 1 away to give to her or not. 2) She ends up transferring out to play just one sport else where. But I do think that is one thing working in favor for Williams. Mendelson cant switch to just 1 sport really. I hope she can handle it all and I believe she will be able to.

This is so exciting! Happy for both programs. Multi-sport athletes are special and its going to be super fun as a fan to watch. When it works, its beautiful to see.  Just thrilled that it's a Nebraska kid attending UNL in this case.

Who are your favorite multi-sport Huskers - male or female? 

I have a couple that I thought were pretty under the radar so I thought I'd ask you all and see what you got.

Edited by hoop_head

Darin Erstad jumps out to me, as someone who excelled in 2 sports.   Matt Davison did OK. To a lesser extent, we've had athletes compete in Volleyball and WBB, but I don't think tried it for more than a year or so.  Cepero and Havers come to mind.  Probably others.  Meyers could definitely compete in volleyball and track.  Names not jumping out to me, but I think we've had several football players compete in track over the years.

Just thinking about it, highlights how special Mendelson is (or at least, we hope she is).

On 6/13/2022 at 10:48 PM, hoop_head said:

Who are your favorite multi-sport Huskers - male or female? 

I have a couple that I thought were pretty under the radar so I thought I'd ask you all and see what you got.

Your 'under the radar' Huskers?  Don't leave us hanging here. 🙂