Chase Clemmons is N

Not sad at all about this decommit.  Rather than take the time to explain why, I'll just copy/paste my analysis which I had originally posted in his recruiting thread.

Chase's footage looks, to my eyes, like a kid that wants to make the highlight play to pump up the crowd rather than the safe play to get an easy bucket.  I see that both in how he passes the ball (e.g. underhanded scoop passes on alley-oops) and shoots (e.g. exaggerated step back 3pt attempts).  Obviously this footage is "highlight reel" stuff, so the passes connect and the shots go in.  But they still look ill-advised, particularly from a floor general traditional PG (which I believe is what we are recruiting him to be). 

I'm sure I'd feel differently if his athleticism and/or size jumped off the tape, but to me they don't.  He looks like a D1 athlete, but not an elite one.  This is admittedly an unfair comparison, but imagine if Benny Parker came in with a flashy, rather than fundamentally sound, skillset and style of play.  He would have never gotten off the bench.  Now granted Chase is MUCH bigger than Benny, but he's still going to be undersized most nights in the B1G at 6'0 165 lbs.  And his athleticism looks much closer to the Benny end of the spectrum than it does to Cam/Verge.

I don't see much in his game that I expect to translate to the B1G.  His shot is long, exaggerated, and all elbows.  And he has a short wingspan, so good luck getting that shot off without a massive cushion.  I don't see great passer's vision in his tape.  Ball handling appears to be his strength, so theoretically he may be able to run the offense without turning the ball over.  That's something to build off of.  However, his decision making and style of play will likely negate that.

37 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sad at all about this decommit.  Rather than take the time to explain why, I'll just copy/paste my analysis which I had originally posted in his recruiting thread.

Chase's footage looks, to my eyes, like a kid that wants to make the highlight play to pump up the crowd rather than the safe play to get an easy bucket.  I see that both in how he passes the ball (e.g. underhanded scoop passes on alley-oops) and shoots (e.g. exaggerated step back 3pt attempts).  Obviously this footage is "highlight reel" stuff, so the passes connect and the shots go in.  But they still look ill-advised, particularly from a floor general traditional PG (which I believe is what we are recruiting him to be). 

I'm sure I'd feel differently if his athleticism and/or size jumped off the tape, but to me they don't.  He looks like a D1 athlete, but not an elite one.  This is admittedly an unfair comparison, but imagine if Benny Parker came in with a flashy, rather than fundamentally sound, skillset and style of play.  He would have never gotten off the bench.  Now granted Chase is MUCH bigger than Benny, but he's still going to be undersized most nights in the B1G at 6'0 165 lbs.  And his athleticism looks much closer to the Benny end of the spectrum than it does to Cam/Verge.

I don't see much in his game that I expect to translate to the B1G.  His shot is long, exaggerated, and all elbows.  And he has a short wingspan, so good luck getting that shot off without a massive cushion.  I don't see great passer's vision in his tape.  Ball handling appears to be his strength, so theoretically he may be able to run the offense without turning the ball over.  That's something to build off of.  However, his decision making and style of play will likely negate that.

Them: That sounds like a lot of sour grapes on the Chase Clemmons de-commit.

Us: Nah, man, have you seen his recruiting thread?

Just my humble opinion...the coaches who truly recruited and wanted Chase are gone.  The new coaches along with Fred decided to not back out on him; but sorta told him if another opportunity opened up for him, he may want to consider it, and he did.  

Best of luck to him...I am in the camp that thinks we have a better alternative biting on the hook.