Did anyone stay up....

jimmykc

On 6/3/2022 at 2:26 PM, 49r said:

I got you beat.  I go back to the 80's "Bad Boys" Pistons teams.  After that I'm not sure I've watched a whole NBA game start to finish.

Most of those guys would be tossed from games today with the way they played and how the game has changed.

I remember growing up the older folks complaining about the guys taking an extra half step which should have been traveling.  Hell that is now two steps, sometimes three.  I about dropped my teeth (if I could) when they actually called palming the other day. I think I could watch the NBA again IF they started calling the game as is written in the rulebook.  

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

Most of those guys would be tossed from games today with the way they played and how the game has changed.

Ummm...there is a certain Warrior player that would fit right in with the Bad Boy's of motor city.

I actually think the talent is phenomenal.   In fact, I would strongly advocate rule changes at the NBA level in order to make the game more difficult for them.  Pro golf has done this to a certain extent...but it is hard to tell as equipment changes continue et al.  Hell, hitting a wedge further then many of you can hit a driver...whaattt?

Sorry, I digress...back to basketball. 

On 6/4/2022 at 7:45 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Sorry, I have to comment. You guys have missed some great basketball. Steph Curry and the Warriors have played some of the most entertaining basketball in the history of the sport. Kevin Durant and Giannis also are among the all-time greats you've missed, and Luke Doncic is a blossoming superstar. So I guess you're not basketball fans, just Nebraska fans?

This is a strange thread. Maybe I'll start one:

"I didn't eat at Applebee's last night"

There are great players for sure.

I'm not convinced it's great basketball.

Well, check that: it is great basketball but it's very formulaic great basketball.

Analytics have been the downfall of, like, creativity. It's all pretty formulaic now. They all want shots at the rim or 3-pointers and so offenses are designed to create those types of shots and, really, only those types of shots. Gone are the days when defenses had to defend the entire end of the floor from the hoop to beyond the 3-point arc and everywhere in between. Gone are guys who excel at the mid-range game. Gone ESPECIALLY are the guys who owned the lane and would score with their backs to the basket.

Bill Russell wouldn't find a home on a modern NBA roster. The second-coming of Wilt Chamberlain would be a role player at best.

Now, granted, modern passing is crisp and precise and they do a lot of things with off-ball stuff to get shooters open looks. But it's all just a little less interesting than it used to be, and I miss that.

Regarding the demise of the mid-range jumper:

In the 2020-21 season, only 16 players took at least three long midrange shots per team game, according to NBA Advanced Stats. But they were almost all elite players—12 of the 16 were All-Stars within the past two seasons—and capable from that spot, combining for 45.4 percent accuracy. The difference between the modern NBA and previous eras isn’t where stars shoot. Instead, it’s that “teams have gotten much smarter about role players not taking bad shots,” the lead analyst says.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/12/7/22821023/nba-shot-quality-midrange-kevin-durant-brooklyn-nets

I get that analytics can get tiresome, but they are designed for one thing: winning. Take good shots (inside or else 3s, which count for more points). 

However, good players (and good teams) have figured out that a defense with a shot blocker and pressure defense on the 3 point line can be countered by ..... the mid-range shot. The mid-range is a killer against drop coverage, which a lot of teams play.

Look, I love basketball and the NBA has the world's best players. I honestly don't care if any of you don't watch, I just don't get a thread knocking it when a lot of us do.

There's a popular soccer thread on this board, and I didn't go in there to point out that the Ukraine lost a 1-0 match because one of its players accidentally headed the ball into his own net. That's why I don't watch soccer, too many 1-0 games decided by a fluke shot or a guy pretending to get fouled. However, I'm happy for anyone who does enjoy it. To each his own.

I'm not going to Applebee's again tonight, but I won't start a thread about it.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the finals so far.  Boston stealing game 1 was enormous for their chances.  I thought Dubs in 6 but I'm thinking this thing goes to 7 now.  It's been a fun chess match between the best offensive mind and, in my opinion, the best defensive mind in the league.

Certainly basketball has changed, but the execution of offense in terms of passing around the perimeter is done with pretty incredible velocity.  I grew up in the 90s and loved it, but I love this just as much.  Boston is very 90s.  GSW (namely, Steph) completely changed the game.  

I look forward to the 4pt line.  It's probably gotta be time soon.  

21 hours ago, colhusker said:

I remember growing up the older folks complaining about the guys taking an extra half step which should have been traveling.  Hell that is now two steps, sometimes three.  I about dropped my teeth (if I could) when they actually called palming the other day. I think I could watch the NBA again IF they started calling the game as is written in the rulebook.  

and oh yeah

Get off my damn lawn.

• 2 weeks later...

To finish off this thread I would like to acknowledge that the Warriors were the better team this year and Curry deserves to be rated as one of the best NBA players ever. Did I watch any of this year's finals games to its conclusion? Nope, and didn't eat at Applebee's either. I watched the lightning and hail show outside. And the new Jeff Bridges show, "The Old Man", was pretty good too. 

Celtics looked outmatched.  I find it surprising that they managed to make it to Game 6 of the Finals -- definitely overachieved this post-season to get to that position.  They reminded me of some of those LeBron James Cavs teams (pre-Kyrie), where he maybe had one other scorer on the roster to lighten the load.  Except that Tatum is nowhere close to vintage LeBron in terms of being able to carry a team.  The Warriors constantly disrespected the Celtics roster by double-teaming Tatum, and he could neither finish through the double nor find the open man.  Brown is a nice complimentary piece (the aforementioned "one other scorer") and Horford is filling the savvy/old/skilled big man role that those Cavs teams had in Ilgauskas.  But that clearly wasn't nearly enough to win the series.

I actually don't think Steph/Klay/Draymond were that much better than Tatum/Brown/Al.  The difference is that the Warriors have guys like Wiggins who are capable of being The Man when needed, but are also content to defer on offense if Curry is in the zone.  And the luxury of Jordan Poole coming off the bench...Celtics had no one close to that level subbing in.  Wiggins & Poole >>>>>>>> Smart & White, and that to me was the biggest difference in this series.

Not the most entertaining NBA Finals I've ever witnessed.  Warriors looked beatable, but not by the Celtics.  Steph finally gets his Finals MVP trophy on the sixth try.  That's probably what this series will be best remembered for.

Edited by aphilso1

Now that the Warriors are officially a “Dynasty” who was their greatest opponent in the Finals? Certainly not this Celtics squad, perhaps LeBron, Love & Korver…? I get you can only play who’s in front of you of, but they’ve been fortunate to come up against some historically “weak tea” I can think of at least 5 squads off the top of my head from the 80’s, 90’s & 00’s that would’ve mowed right through them…

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Now that the Warriors are officially a “Dynasty” who was their greatest opponent in the Finals? Certainly not this Celtics squad, perhaps LeBron, Love & Korver…? I get you can only play who’s in front of you of, but they’ve been fortunate to come up against some historically “weak tea” I can think of at least 5 squads off the top of my head from the 80’s, 90’s & 00’s that would’ve mowed right through them…

LeBron played out of his mind in that 2017 Finals series and the Warriors still won it easily in only 5 games.  I'd say that was the most impressive title of the current Dub Dynasty.  

Beating LBJ counts for something, if nothing else it keeps him from matching MJ's 6 titles. You also have to give the Warriors credit for making it through a tough West bracket every year. The "weak tea" has been the Eastern Conference. 

Every team with a claim for the "greatest dynasty" (except the Auerbach Celtics) has a "what if" associated it with it. Warriors could easily have won 2 more titles without the injuries to their stars, plus the bizarre Covid postseason.

‘85 Lakers

’00 Lakers

’83 Sixers 

‘86 Celtics

’95 Rockets

ALL better than the Warriors. They’re an exceptional team (especially with Durant) but the the never had a historically great team to “push up” against. Think in terms of HOF players on the roster. Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, etc. the BEST team to never win a Title never even played for one, the 2000 Trailblazers…

3 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

‘85 Lakers

’00 Lakers

’83 Sixers 

‘86 Celtics

’95 Rockets

ALL better than the Warriors. They’re an exceptional team (especially with Durant) but the the never had a historically great team to “push up” against. Think in terms of HOF players on the roster. Bulls, Pistons, Spurs, etc. the BEST team to never win a Title never even played for one, the 2000 Trailblazers…

They won 73 in a season…..

As someone who watches most of their games, Memphis was our toughest series in these playoffs.

18 hours ago, Vinny said:

They won 73 in a season…..

As someone who watches most of their games, Memphis was our toughest series in these playoffs.

It’s too bad the Wolves couldn’t take care of Memphis when it was handed to them on a platter. Maybe the New GM from Denver can change the “Culture” over there on First Avenue.