Did anyone stay up....

jimmykc

...long enough to see the Celtics beat the Warriors last night. As an old school Celtics fan who once had courtside seats on the parquet at the old Garden, I was so pumped about the NBA finals I forgot about the game entirely. Kudos to anyone who actually watched to the end. 

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Getting outscored 40-16 in the Fourth Quarter doomed the Warriors. A Celtics Title could set up another rematch with the Lakers next year as LeBron collects his final ring…

I only follow the Lakers because my father in law is a HUGE fan...you guys are in trouble.

31 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

I think the last time I watched the NBA (Not the NBA) was the 1992 "Dream Team" in the Olympics.  At least it was a complete game.  I might have watched about 2 or 3 minutes of a few games since then.  I just don't have the interest for the NBA anymore.

I got you beat.  I go back to the 80's "Bad Boys" Pistons teams.  After that I'm not sure I've watched a whole NBA game start to finish.

Sorry, I have to comment. You guys have missed some great basketball. Steph Curry and the Warriors have played some of the most entertaining basketball in the history of the sport. Kevin Durant and Giannis also are among the all-time greats you've missed, and Luke Doncic is a blossoming superstar. So I guess you're not basketball fans, just Nebraska fans?

This is a strange thread. Maybe I'll start one:

"I didn't eat at Applebee's last night"

42 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sorry, I have to comment. You guys have missed some great basketball. Steph Curry and the Warriors have played some of the most entertaining basketball in the history of the sport. Kevin Durant and Giannis also are among the all-time greats you've missed, and Luke Doncic is a blossoming superstar. So I guess you're not basketball fans, just Nebraska fans?

Although I only root for the Huskers nowadays, at my core I'm a basketball fan and appreciate great play no matter the level, NBA included. All I know is the San Antonio Spurs played some the best basketball I've ever seen during the 2014 NBA finals against the Heat. I don't watch much NBA today (or college basketball for that matter besides the Huskers) but I certainly appreciate the talent and skill level that is on display there.

Sorry about the strange thread, Chuck, but it was simply an attempt to assess the fervor of the posters here for the NBA. I am probably one of the bigger fans of basketball here but have lost the enthusiasm for the NBA which I used to have. I don't dispute your assessment of the skill of all the players you named, but the strident support of political causes by coaches like Kerr and Popovich have dampened my interest in the league as did the league's outright catering to their Chinese market. When Enes Kantor Freedom is allowed equal time and back on an NBA roster, my interest may increase. Meanwhile I'll probably watch some of the Celtics series (because I like underdogs). And I didn't eat at Applebee's either. 

I find the NBA Finals a bit more compelling this year because I don't think of Jason Tatum as a superstar though he is and thus the Celtics seem like upstarts.

Signs of the time how people care more about going on off the court when it's possible to just check in and watch the world's best players if one wants.

The NBA basketball is great, I like it. I prefer the basketball of years past with post play and you had to be brave to enter the paint.

I couldn't care less about whatever coaches or players politics are. 

What has really killed my enjoyment of the NBA (and currently college) is the player movement. I miss players being on one team. That was their team.

And its a double edge sword for me because I will be the first to argue they have every right to switch teams. NBA and college.

I just find myself much less interested in games Nebraska is not playing in. And for that matter my interest is waning there too. Its just getting harder to become invested in a new set of players every single year.

The NBA basketball is great, I like it. I prefer the basketball of years past with post play and you had to be brave to enter the paint.

I couldn't care less about whatever coaches or players politics are. 

What has really killed my enjoyment of the NBA (and currently college) is the player movement. I miss players being on one team. That was their team.

And its a double edge sword for me because I will be the first to argue they have every right to switch teams. NBA and college.

I just find myself much less interested in games Nebraska is not playing in. And for that matter my interest is waning there too. Its just getting harder to become invested in a new set of players every single year.

Not sure but I think you might be me.

Except for the NBA of the 90’s part. It sucked then too.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Was a fun game Thursday. Give Steph an inch he is burying the 3. Horford was unconscious in his first finals game. NBA game is such a different level than college, those guys are so good. Way more smooth, way more rhythm, far less refs trying to make it about them. 

Just to finish this thread appropriately, I do plan to watch some of tonight's playoff game, but I doubt I will watch to the end and will certainly not dine at Applebee's. It brings to mind the first games I can remember viewing on tv. Our family got a tv set late, when I was in the eighth grade. I remember watching Wilt Chamberlain's Jayhawks beat a Jim Krebs SMU team in an NCAA regional game on my grandfather's old black and white screen with a huge rotating antenna as my first college game. My first pro game was one I saw at a friend's house featuring George Mikan's Minneapolis Lakers. * Additional facts of historic interest:1. My Dad's prediction that pro basketball would never be popular because "the game would always move too fast for the camera". 2. Jim Krebs played for seven years on the LA Lakers and became the only NBA player to be killed by a falling tree.