Break out player

40 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

He had over 100+ 3-point attempts last year. A leash wasn't the issue, it was wild/unwarranted shot selection that was his issue.

He did hit 33% which is okay but not great. Bryce shot close to 150 at a 27% clip.  Lat shot about as many as Keisei and hit just under 30%.  Some guys had longer leashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Tominaga was arguably one of the best youngsters at the Asia Cup and not only because of his outstanding statistical output. Yes, the 1.88M (6’2”) shooting guard averaged many points efficiently, but more than that was his display of leadership for Akatsuki Japan. In particular, when Yuta Watanabe was unable to play due to an injury, Tominaga stepped up and delivered with a 33-point explosion on 12-20 shooting, making it the most scored by a player aged 21 or younger in the 21st century.

Edited by Swan88

1 hour ago, Swan88 said:

Tominaga was arguably one of the best youngsters at the Asia Cup and not only because of his outstanding statistical output. Yes, the 1.88M (6’2”) shooting guard averaged many points efficiently, but more than that was his display of leadership for Akatsuki Japan. In particular, when Yuta Watanabe was unable to play due to an injury, Tominaga stepped up and delivered with a 33-point explosion on 12-20 shooting, making it the most scored by a player aged 21 or younger in the 21st century.

Hmm, well...we sort of heard something like this before.  All I'm saying is that the proof is in the puddin.  Simply show it on the floor this coming season.

12 hours ago, Swan88 said:

Not to be a downer, but until he can put up numbers like that in games with a Husker uniform on I'm down on him. 

Keisei can only be a good player if you are, effectively, running your offense for him or around him. If he's running around and everyone is screening for him, looking for him (ala Steph or something), he can be pretty effective. 

But he's not athletic or strong enough, to be that guy at this level. Therefore he's relegated to standing in the corner or praying bad/forced shots go in. 

KT's playing at the wrong level for his skill sets and body. Not trying to be over critical... I just personally think he was a big miss. 

2 hours ago, busticket said:

I don’t know.  I look at a guy like Jordan Bohannon…not big, not overly quick but had a significant role at Iowa for 6 years. Play smart and shoot threes when you are open. 

Isn't it sort of "interesting" that certain teams, such as Iowa, Creighton, Wisconsin and many others always seem to have, and make open 3's???

I guess that comes down to teammates and/or teams effectively running an offense.  

At the end of last season we were showing snippets of that concept...but man, it seems to be MIA at Nebraska for a minute or two...

Edited by Huskerpapa

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Isn't it sort of "interesting" that certain teams, such as Iowa, Creighton, Wisconsin and many others always seem to have, and make open 3's???

I guess that comes down to teammates and/or teams effectively running an offense.  

At the end of last season we were showing snippets of that concept...but man, it seems to be MIA at Nebraska for a minute or two...

Those teams mentioned pass with a purpose, with an intent to create open shots for their teammates. Unfortunately, the last 3 years we've had players that need the ball in their hands (Mack, Teddy, and Verge) which kills any kind of offensive flow/rhythm. Hopefully this new recruiting approach creates a more team-focused style of play which leads to more open shots. 

• 4 weeks later...

Derrick Walker would be breaking out if he's the No. 25th best player in the conference. 

https://bustingbrackets.com/2022/08/30/big-ten-basketball-top-25-non-freshmen-players-2022-23-season/

25. Derrick Walker – Nebraska Cornhuskers

2021-22 stats: 9.5 ppg and 6.0 rpg

The 6’8 forward is entering his 6th-year of college and 3rd with the Cornhuskers. He established himself as the lead option in the frontcourt, shooting 68% from the field and nine games of at least 14 points. His consistency on offense (and Nebraska guards giving him the ball more) is a factor but Walker has shown that he can be a real threat in the conference.

• 1 month later...

I think it's going to be Wilcher. Between the body transformation, the amount of pull he seems to have with the rest of his teammates, and the lack of obvious main scoring option I like his usage rate to explode this season and him to potentially lead the team in scoring.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:55 AM, basketballjones said:

Keisei can only be a good player if you are, effectively, running your offense for him or around him. If he's running around and everyone is screening for him, looking for him (ala Steph or something), he can be pretty effective. 

But he's not athletic or strong enough, to be that guy at this level. Therefore he's relegated to standing in the corner or praying bad/forced shots go in. 

KT's playing at the wrong level for his skill sets and body. Not trying to be over critical... I just personally think he was a big miss. 

I'm going to give him one more year.  I think he will adjust better to the speed of the Big Ten.  Also, I think this year's team will move the ball better which in turn will benefit Keisei.

15 hours ago, huskercappy said:

I'm going to give him one more year.  I think he will adjust better to the speed of the Big Ten.  Also, I think this year's team will move the ball better which in turn will benefit Keisei.

I could see him having some splash games where he gets hot, for sure. But they'll be few and far between. But hey - we will need him come NCAA tournament time. Great guy for March. 

Don't even really need a huge improvement from KT for him to have a big impact on the team. CJ was a 40% 3pt shooter, taking 4 attempts per game. KT was 36/109 last year, that's 3.6 attempts per game (He didn't play in 2 games). If he can bump that up to 46 makes, that's just one more make every 3 games, that will be really helpful on the offensive end for a number of reasons. He's a plenty good enough shooter to do that. He may be able to do it simply with better shot selection. As mentioned, having a year's experience in the Big Ten should help him. NU badly needs another shooter to help balance the offense. KT's got it in him if he doesn't try to do too much. If he does that, he'll come closer to being the player we were hoping for coming into last season.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, uneblinstu said:

Don't even really need a huge improvement from KT for him to have a big impact on the team. CJ was a 40% 3pt shooter, taking 4 attempts per game. KT was 36/109 last year, that's 3.6 attempts per game (He didn't play in 2 games). If he can bump that up to 46 makes, that's just one more make every 3 games, that will be really helpful on the offensive end for a number of reasons. He's a plenty good enough shooter to do that. He may be able to do it simply with better shot selection. As mentioned, having a year's experience in the Big Ten should help him. NU badly needs another shooter to help balance the offense. KT's got it in him if he doesn't try to do too much. If he does that, he'll come closer to being the player we were hoping for coming into last season.

This.    While it was fun to see him shoot from the edge of the half court circle in an international game I don't want to see that under normal circumstances.   Better shot selection would do wonders for his %.

Keisei's issue seems to be that he's streaky and when he's not making shots does he do enough of anything else to keep him out there? Maybe that's easier this season when everyone else on the team has length or maybe he's made that Juco to D-1 adjustment.  

If nothing else his floor is 'reliable shot taker' which might be something this year's squad is lacking in.

You got me thinking a bit, which is a bit dangerous.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1

The above site provides NCAA stats.  The best 3 point shooter was in the 45% range and the best in our conference was in the 42% range.  We had nobody in the top 97.  Nobody.  

Some of our issues include shot selection, rushing shots and poor execution.  Another "issue" in our conference is that no team is allowing teams to have uncontested shots.  

I guess my question is what should be expectation for shooting?  Perhaps 75% from the FT line?  50% overall FG?  39% from the 3pt line?  Too rigid  not rigid enough?