Break out player

Hot take: Lloyd has a chance to be our leading scorer even as a 6th man.  That would certainly make him a breakout player.  Projected starters all have offensive warts.

Walker - he already "broke out" last year, so unless his numbers jump dramatically it is hard to see him having another breakout season.  Also, he thrived working a two-man game with Verge on pick and rolls, and I don't see a distributor as crafty as Verge on this year's roster.  I think his scoring and efficiency will take a step backwards as a result.

Griesel - big jump from Summit League to B1G.  Can absolutely fill a role for us but I see his numbers decreasing slightly from what they were at NDSU.

Wilcher - great shooter but not a creator.  I think he gets more shots this year and thus his scoring numbers increase.  Not sure if that constitutes a breakout though.

Emmanuel - we didn't bring here to be the feature offensive player.  I expect he knows his role and will fill it.

Gary - See Emmanual comment above.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Feels like we're one more high level transfer away from Keisei being a break away player

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Breidenbach...maybe.  I'm not expecting Keisei to even be in the regular rotation.

Just a prediction for fun. I do think  there’s a decent chance he finds a better role on this team than he found last year. I think he’s teammates like him and I still hear him referred to as the best shooter on the team.  But y’all are probably closer to reality. 

4 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Just a prediction for fun. I do think  there’s a decent chance he finds a better role on this team than he found last year. I think he’s teammates like him and I still hear him referred to as the best shooter on the team.  But y’all are probably closer to reality. 

I'm with you. A year under his belt. This is the year he most likely makes a jump. I could see it. Not saying it happens, but it makes sense.

Edited by cornfed24-7

Don't see Keisei making impact. Can't remember what game it was last year (Ohio St.?) but they ran offense until Keisei switched defensively to a bigger player and that guy posted him up and scored. Think it happened at least twice and he never saw the floor for rest of game. 

20 minutes ago, roscoe said:

Don't see Keisei making impact. Can't remember what game it was last year (Ohio St.?) but they ran offense until Keisei switched defensively to a bigger player and that guy posted him up and scored. Think it happened at least twice and he never saw the floor for rest of game. 

So, who is your choice and why...that is the question? 

1 hour ago, roscoe said:

That sure sounds like a coaching problem to me.

My vote would be for no one.  Not that I don't think some will improve their game, but I don't see a guy with a big break out season.  Maybe one of the freshman because they are kind of an unknown but it is a lot tougher for a frosh to have a break out type of season.  I see a team that will share the wealth and we could have a different leading scorer it seems every night and that might not be all bad.

14 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

My vote would be for no one.  Not that I don't think some will improve their game, but I don't see a guy with a big break out season.  Maybe one of the freshman because they are kind of an unknown but it is a lot tougher for a frosh to have a break out type of season.  I see a team that will share the wealth and we could have a different leading scorer it seems every night and that might not be all bad.

Yeah, that wouldn't be the worst thing.

On 5/25/2022 at 7:59 PM, uneblinstu said:

Breidenbach. 

second pick would be Keisei. 

This!

I see a lot of Benny Parker in Keisei; an enthusiastic, high-energy,  dogged defender.  The one game where he got beat down for a foul (unwarranted imo) just because he was overly enthusiastic was unfortunate, and affected his play the rest of the game.  If he can make the adjustment from Juco to defending B1G-types; And find his range under game pressure, he could have a year.

I’ll be interested in seeing what a summer of S&C might do for Keisei’s lateral quickness.  He’s a 6’1” dunker.  He still might have just enough to be able to stay in front on the defensive end after adjusting to D1 speed for a year.  If so, he can certainly break out compared to last season.  

I think Wilhelm will play the 5 and rival how good Keita plays.  I hope we don’t put him at the 4.  

I am surprised that no one mentioned Blaise Keita as a potential 'break-out' player.  He is an older, mature player at 6'10" and 240 lbs.  In the Big 10, we need a player that can defend the rim and grab a rebound without getting pushed out of the paint.  He has the size and maturity -- what if he is the real deal?  There's our break-out player.

I am going with Griesel.    He's not going to light up the scoreboard but I think he will be the heartbeat of the team.   He will be steady and fill the stat sheet with decent numbers in rebounds, points and assists.   Not flashy numbers  maybe 12 pts, 5 rb's and 4 assists.   Thing is I don't see anyone that will bust out with high pt games on a consistent basis.   Just a lot of guys scoring in low teens.  I will be surprised if any averages 15 a game, maybe 14.? at most.