2023 Baseball

I've thought the same.  A series of the week.

My feeling is Nebraska would have to be on every weekend to pay for it.  I made it through 3 teams for baseball attendance (Nebraska, Illinois, and Iowa)

Attendance 

Nebraska 13 games 61536  Avg 4733
Iowa 12 games 6635 Avg 553
Illinois 10 games 7974 Avg 797
What is wrong with that?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

By the way, Boyd's World did something new this year - a projected RPI for each D-1 team based on his ISR system. The system projects NU at 30-25 with an RPI of #102.

Boyd's World's preseason projection for NU wasn't far off - we ended up 31-21-1 with RPI of #104

Was hoping we would've done better - but we can make the regular season forgettable by going on a big run this week in Omaha

I see Indiana State was given a regional hosting spot - had an RPI of 9, so they know how to game the system. 😁 Maybe we should hire Indiana State's scheduler.

That almost certainly means Indiana will get sent to Terre Haute, so they might have a chance to advance to Supers. They just have to hope a close-ish SEC school like Tennessee doesn't also end up there. They caught a break that Kentucky and Vandy are hosting and that Louisville stinks this season.

If the NCAA wants to make sure some random northern school ends up in Supers, so they can continue to give the illusion that the system is fair for all, I could see UConn or Boston College end up as a 2 in Terre Haute with the Hoosiers as a 3. Bad thing for Indiana is that both UConn and BC are really good. No one wants to see either of them in a regional. Either of them would've been better hosts than the Sycamores.

If I'm Maryland, I'm hoping to get sent to Miami or Okla St. Those are parks that would play well for them with hosts that are beatable. Probably will go to Virginia or Wake, though, for "regional-ness." 

No idea where Iowa will go - not really a natural fit anywhere. Maybe Arkansas or Kentucky, unless they get really lucky and go to Terre Haute as a 2 seed. Doubtful, though. The NCAA isn't passing up that opportunity to showcase the Indiana-Indiana State civil war. 😁 Iowa is probably one of those teams that gets sent over a long distance, since there's no natural fit.

Edited by throwback

Wow - the NCAA gave Iowa a reasonable path to the Supers by putting them in Terre Haute - they got a better draw than Maryland somehow ... and a better draw by quite a bit. Maryland got the "Nebraska" treatment from 2021 - win the regular season title and get sent to the #1 overall seed.

Iowa did get a tougher 1st game (N Carolina) than Maryland (N'eastern), but N'eastern has a stud #1 pitcher that could give Maryland fits in the opener.

Don't think Indiana has any chance at the Kentucky regional.

Not sure why they put UConn & Texas Tech in #2 Florida's regional, but the Gators can't be happy. (Tech did fade a bit over the back half of the year, but they're really good when playing at the top of their game.) LSU at #5 didn't get a lot of favors, either, otherwise the bracket looks pretty fairly balanced.

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

And of course, the RPI is the end all be all.

Team A: 35-24, 13-11 in conference, swept Team B, RPI 55

Team B: 31-26, 11-13 in same conference, swept by Team A, RPI 40

Team A also went further in the conference tournament.

Team B in, Team A out

K State and Texas Tech.

We still gotta make a bit of room for all the newcomers, so I'd guess there will be a few more transfers out coming.

Whether we try to pick up some more transfers in depends on Olson & Kaminska now.

Hawkins surprised me, but the others not so much. 

Guessing we're looking at another fall where we're going to be a handful of guys over the limit, so there will be competition for roster spots again. Building team chemistry is tough that way, though.

Looking like we'll have a new pitching coach next season - maybe Childress?

This could explain a couple of the pitchers deciding to move on somewhat unexpectedly - will be interesting to see how this affects guys like Olson and Kaminska if they don't get drafted and whether they sign as free agents or come back.

Edited by throwback