Tatiana Popa

Huskerpapa

I know there were questions of her status.  This comes moments after Nebraska announced that Mayan is not coming back to the mens team...oh yeah, Lat has already played games on his new pro team in Australia.   Better late than never 😉

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/tatiana-popa-no-longer-on-nebraska-womens-basketball-team/article_14c8cda3-9b3a-57d2-bb9f-217a50fdeb5f.html

Thanks @Huskerpapa  

It doesn't give a lot of details regarding Popa, but at the bottom of the article is a link to this article (behind a paywall, so I can't read it) that suggests Kate Cain had some role in getting Popa to come to Nebraska as her sucessor.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/how-kate-cain-helped-amy-williams-and-the-huskers-reel-in-her-successor-at-center/article_6265c07a-61da-5c0c-8a3f-b24f2b415a26.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

12 minutes ago, Red Don said:

Thanks @Huskerpapa  

It doesn't give a lot of details regarding Popa, but at the bottom of the article is a link to this article (behind a paywall, so I can't read it) that suggests Kate Cain had some role in getting Popa to come to Nebraska as her sucessor.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/womens-basketball/how-kate-cain-helped-amy-williams-and-the-huskers-reel-in-her-successor-at-center/article_6265c07a-61da-5c0c-8a3f-b24f2b415a26.html#tracking-source=article-related-bottom

You are correct RD.  It appears to be the 2020 article that sort of welcomed her here.  In the article it points out she visited with Kate and discussed how Amy uses her bigs and so forth.

Every time a player leaves or is not retained the reasons vary from individual to individual.  Some players are very vocal on what happened and others are not.  We have been conditioned from the past that most players stick with the same team until their eligibility is used up.  I believe that sadly those days are gone forever.  I believe that our coach handles these things correctly.  She sees everything in a lot more detail then we as impatient fans do.  As previously noted I like where our program is presently at and where it's headed.

Well said by HUD.   I do have one hope - that the NCAA, now having seen the result of this open transfer mess, will tighten down the screws and require that non-graduate players, absent good reason,  honor the commitments they have made to their original school for four years.  Graduate transfers are another matter provided that they enter a graduate program in their transfer to university 

28 minutes ago, Tom Jones said:

Well said by HUD.   I do have one hope - that the NCAA, now having seen the result of this open transfer mess, will tighten down the screws and require that non-graduate players, absent good reason,  honor the commitments they have made to their original school for four years.  Graduate transfers are another matter provided that they enter a graduate program in their transfer to university 

Counter argument...will the coaches, athletic director and schools also honor their commitments to the players?  A coach will leave the kids behind while chasing a bigger name, a better school or more money.

Perhaps a solution would be if a coach leaves or is fired, the players can then choose to transfer without penalty.   There seems to be a ying to every yang.