Lat Mayen is gone

16 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

This could give weight to the theory that we've just been wasting the talent we've had.

Maybe.  Although the dude "guarding" him in the photo on their website looks like he is about 6'4" and 300 lbs.  So perhaps second division basketball in Australia is more akin to NAIA college ball.

I will miss Lat Mayen, I know he's been dogged on a lot. He was at least a good post defender and could rebound the basketball. And, for as much scrutiny he has under, Lat improved his shooting in his final campaign in Lincoln from abysmal to approaching adequate. I won't ever tear down a dude who gave it his all, the product on the court just wasn't quite good enough. Hope Mayen can achieve much success in his native land. His effort was good, and Freddy awarded P.T. based on that.

Edited by AuroranHusker

18 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

I will miss Lat Mayen, I know he's been dogged on a lot. He was at least a good post defender and could rebound the basketball. And, for as much scrutiny he has under, Lat improved his shooting in his final campaign in Lincoln from abysmal to approaching adequate. I won't ever tear down a dude who gave it his all, the product on the court just wasn't quite good enough. Hope Mayen can achieve much success in his native land. His effort was good, and Freddy awarded P.T. based on that.

I won't miss Lat at all.  I think we will be a better team without him.  That's not dogging on him but he was a liability when he was on the floor more than he helped the team.  Hope he finds success in the next chapter of his life.

Lat may have had some positive qualities; but he simply frustrated the crap out of me.  He struggled keeping his man off of the offensive boards, struggled playing any sort of help defense, struggled staying focused resulting in fouls and temper flare ups, struggled making timely free throws, struggled making lay ups, struggled with consistancy, didn't live up to three point shooting expectations, gawd forbid he ever attempted to put the ball on the floor and attempt to drive and honestly, was somewhat the poster child for the husker struggles during the Hoiberg era.

Other than those things, what isn't there to like....

55 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

I won't miss Lat at all.  I think we will be a better team without him.  That's not dogging on him but he was a liability when he was on the floor more than he helped the team.  Hope he finds success in the next chapter of his life.

He has been dogged on a lot, which doesn't hold much weight in the basketball offices since Freddy is the one who played Mayen a ton. I hope Wilhelm stays healthy and can guard better. It'd be a great bonus if Goggles can shoot well!

19 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Lat may have had some positive qualities; but he simply frustrated the crap out of me.  He struggled keeping his man off of the offensive boards, struggled playing any sort of help defense, struggled staying focused resulting in fouls and temper flare ups, struggled making timely free throws, struggled making lay ups, struggled with consistancy, didn't live up to three point shooting expectations, gawd forbid he ever attempted to put the ball on the floor and attempt to drive and honestly, was somewhat the poster child for the husker struggles during the Hoiberg era.

Other than those things, what isn't there to like....

Yikes. I'll agree on the dribbling, that did frustrate me to no end. Lat was a poster child for Freddy's Foils, it seems. I hope he can do well in his native land, Lat will forever be a part of Husker hoops history. GBR!!

17 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

He has been dogged on a lot, which doesn't hold much weight in the basketball offices since Freddy is the one who played Mayen a ton. I hope Wilhelm stays healthy and can guard better. It'd be a great bonus if Goggles can shoot well!

Injuries left him without options. I think if Trey and WB had stayed healthy, Lat's minutes would have been much less.

I honestly think his immaturity cost us the NCST game. Not sure it would have made any difference in the season as a whole, but it may have. That was a gut punch of a loss.

55 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Injuries left him without options. I think if Trey and WB had stayed healthy, Lat's minutes would have been much less.

I honestly think his immaturity cost us the NCST game. Not sure it would have made any difference in the season as a whole, but it may have. That was a gut punch of a loss.

Yep, NC St. game was inexcusable. Of course injuries always play a role, but it was Wilhelm's defensive lapses that tended to make Lat look like he could be a better option on D, though. Mayen gave great effort out there, even when the team stunk. That's not always easy to do!

16 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

Yep, NC St. game was inexcusable. Of course injuries always play a role, but it was Wilhelm's defensive lapses that tended to make Lat look like he could be a better option on D, though. Mayen gave great effort out there, even when the team stunk. That's not always easy to do!

WB was swimming in it early in the year, for sure. I think that will improve dramatically as he gets more experience. He gave the best effort on the team when he was out there, though. It stuck out like a sore thumb. And Lat's minutes had started to diminish leading up to the Michigan where Wilhelm got hurt. It would have been really interesting to see how they would have played out if Wilhelm's injury hadn't happened.

2 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

True, but that also points to a significant reason the program and Fred's regime was in trouble.  It may be unfair to pick strictly on one player such as Lat; but I personally did not set expectations for the young man that he was a three point shooting savant.

Fans in general were promised significant team and program success and Lat was the poster child of the crumbled failure along with our PG and perhaps Keisei to a much lesser extent.

I kid you not, if you attended games towards year end, you could audibly hear and physically see the disdain for both Verge and Lat.

Personally, I felt Verge had talent; but lacked coaching direction.  I felt Lat did not know how to use the talent, was not put into position by the staff to use his talent, or simply lacked said talent.  If he succeeds in Australia, that perhaps may help in answering the question...

Edited by Huskerpapa

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

True, but that also points to a significant reason the program and Fred's regime was in trouble.  It may be unfair to pick strictly on one player such as Lat; but I personally did not set expectations for the young man that he was a three point shooting savant.

Fans in general were promised significant team and program success and Lat was the poster child of the crumbled failure along with our PG and perhaps Keisei to a much lesser extent.

I kid you not, if you attended games towards year end, you could audibly hear and physically see the disdain for both Verge and Lat.

Personally, I felt Verge had talent; but lacked coaching direction.  I felt Lat did not know how to use the talent, was not put into position by the staff to use his talent, or simply lacked said talent.  If he succeeds in Australia, that perhaps may help in answering the question...

I did painfully attend games all year. It was sad near the end, I wish that 3-game winning streak had occurred at home so fans could enjoy a touch a success to finish the 2021-22 season out a bit better than the angst we all suffered through.