Lat Mayen is gone

My gawd...whhhaaatttt?  This is sooo shocking!!! How did we never see this coming.  How could he just leave without even mentioning this to anyone...it is like the Browns leaving for Baltimore in the middle of the night...it is like HB leaving his first girlfriend...it is like Cip forgetting a song from only three decades ago!  Goodness, I may never, ever get over the shock.  

image.png

Edited by Huskerpapa

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

My gawd...whhhaaatttt?  This is sooo shocking!!! How did we never see this coming.  How could he just leave without even mentioning this to anyone...it is like the Browns leaving for Baltimore in the middle of the night...it is like HB leaving his first girlfriend...it is like Cip forgetting a song from only three decades ago!  Goodness, I may never, ever get over the shock.  

image.png

Actually, and this should come as a surprise to no one, she left me.  

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

Lat is currently gracing the cover of the Marlins' team page: https://cairns.nbl1.com.au/news

Also, he went for 15 points and 8 boards in his first game.  Or in other words, the exact stat line we all hoped he would average in a Husker uni.

This could give weight to the theory that we've just been wasting the talent we've had.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

Perhaps. Let's see a bigger sample. He had a few games with a similar stat line here, too. Also, what's the level of competition in that league vs. what he saw in D1 basketball and the Big Ten? 

The leading scorer on the team Lat joined is averaging 29 ppg and he played a couple years of college ball at D-II Newman University.

NBL salarys are roughly like this;
Imports- $200K for stars (league MVP candidates) down to $100K for role players(consistent scorers and rebounders).
Boomers- $100-$150K depending on team funds and combinations.
Starters- $65-$75K
Bench- $55-$65K
Devleopment players- Minimum wage to $30K, usually on a sliding scale related to minutes and stats.

So I did a little more digging tonight and it appears that the Cairns Marlins play in NBL1 North which is the second division of basketball in Australia (semi-pro???), maybe a bit more like lower level college ball in the US?  Dunno.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_in_Australia

The first division, NBL, is the league that Jack McVeigh plays in.  Interestingly enough I noticed that the Cairns team in the first division, the Taipans, has a familiar name on their roster.  Keanu Pinder.  Small world, hoops...

6 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

Not a bad salary right out of college, assuming he’s at least getting a bench spot. 

@Huskerpapa says those are NBL salaries not in the lower division NBL1 (which is where Cairns Marlins play).  Not sure what the salary structure is at that level.  Might not be much.