Emmanuel Bandoumel is N

My main issue with burning Lloyd's redshirt halfway through big ten play is, well it's halfway through big ten play. He hasn't played a second of any college regular season game yet and throwing him out there as a lead guard in the thick of big ten season is not doing him any favors. 

I think we'll see Sam Hoiberg before we see Ramel Lloyd at this point. But Lawrence probably gets the minutes bump and lead guard duties before anyone. CJ, Keisei and Lawrence will rotate between those other 2 guard spots, with Lawrence filling in for Sam when needed. Oleg and Wil rotate the 5/4 also. 

6 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I guess the positive is that Dawson and Lawrence will gain some valuable experience. 

This is what I've been thinking. A lot. And Kojenets, too. Because, let's face it, Wilhelm is likely as not going to pick up two quick fouls in any first-half action he sees. And there's just nowhere else to turn for depth.

Edited to add: Wilhelm is averaging about 6 1/2 fouls per 40 minutes.

Edited by Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, hhcmatt said:

Do you think we make the NIT if he burns his redshirt 2/3rds of the way into the season?

Wasn't there a rule change recently that allowed a player to participate in something like 1/4 of a season and still redshirt?  Or was it 1/3?  Can't remember...anyway, I thought that was a thing now.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

This is what I've been thinking. A lot. And Kojenets, too. Because, let's face it, Wilhelm is likely as not going to pick up two quick fouls in any first-half action he sees. And there's just nowhere else to turn for depth.

Edited to add: Wilhelm is averaging about 6 1/2 fouls per 40 minutes.

He had a career low 0 fouls against PSU in 11 minutes.  He literally had fouled at least once in all 29 previous games.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Wasn't there a rule change recently that allowed a player to participate in something like 1/4 of a season and still redshirt?  Or was it 1/3?  Can't remember...anyway, I thought that was a thing now.

If so, we should play Ramel and Cale 5 games each to get  them a taste.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

I'm pretty sure it is just in football.  You are allowed to play in 4 games without burning a redshirt.  I wish all other sports could figure out a way to do that.

53 minutes ago, brfrad said:

I'm pretty sure it is just in football.  You are allowed to play in 4 games without burning a redshirt.  I wish all other sports could figure out a way to do that.

That makes sense.  I couldn't remember if it applied to all sports or not.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

You know what would make this somewhat of a moot issue?

That's right. Grant everybody 5 years of playing eligibility.

There. I said it. Again.

In over 50 years of watching Nebraska basketball Emmanuel Bandoumel may very well be my favorite Husker who played no more than one season (less than a season in his case).   Just love what this kid brings to the court in terms of effort.   

Not sure what his future plans are - but it would be wonderful to give this kid a graduate assistant spot to stay connected to the team the next couple years if he has any interest at all in coaching.   But I suspect he loves playing so much that he will want to continue as a player somewhere - likely abroad.

Loved all of that Manny Bando defensive effort, reminded me of Pat Bev. Really wished Bandoumel could have had a full season to compete in Lincoln, now I suppose Dawson & Lawrence will need to grow into a bigger role sooner than later. They both looked good at home (as many role players do at home) against OSU, then they both went out & significantly struggled at PSU. Perhaps this Wednesday D & L will perform better, essentially more of the former than the latter. GBR