2022-2023 WBB Roster

HUD

that's right Jake.  I think that the implication that Amy isn't being honest is unfair.  There is a stark difference between lack of honesty and failure to disclose.  I cannot recall ANY instance in which Amy has been actually dishonest with the fans or the public.  In the present case of Popa, the reasons behind her abrupt departure may well be inappropriate for public disclosure ... such as none of our business. We, as fans, don't have the right to know everything and we shouldn't expect it. 

I was thinking Popa was more a work in progress. As she had a redshirt I think it was more for her to get upto speed for the D1 level of play. We do not know how much she progressed this past year. With the play of Markowski she will be a backup and may not see much court time. Very little players are willing to sit behind players anymore. Part of why there are so many players in the transfer portal. Also players realize they want to be closer to home. So for her it could be multiple things. 

Just now, All About the Corn said:

I was thinking Popa was more a work in progress. As she had a redshirt I think it was more for her to get upto speed for the D1 level of play. We do not know how much she progressed this past year. With the play of Markowski she will be a backup and may not see much court time. Very little players are willing to sit behind players anymore. Part of why there are so many players in the transfer portal. Also players realize they want to be closer to home. So for her it could be multiple things. 

This seems to reflect the original discussion.  We don't know.  Why not disclose tidbits of information that isn't protected?  It's been like pulling teeth getting advance recruiting info the last few years.  Sam provides some updates on occasion.  Others on this site do excellent research.  How was Popa coming along?  Fans are thirsty for any insight the program could share.  Seems we could be given a bit more consideration.  If one thinks we are being ignored, or taken for granted, it can lead to some resentment towards the staff.  I'd be a little more tolerant if I felt better informed.  OK, that's my $.02 for the day.  GBR

22 minutes ago, 12dozen said:

This seems to reflect the original discussion.  We don't know.  Why not disclose tidbits of information that isn't protected?  It's been like pulling teeth getting advance recruiting info the last few years.  Sam provides some updates on occasion.  Others on this site do excellent research.  How was Popa coming along?  Fans are thirsty for any insight the program could share.  Seems we could be given a bit more consideration.  If one thinks we are being ignored, or taken for granted, it can lead to some resentment towards the staff.  I'd be a little more tolerant if I felt better informed.  OK, that's my $.02 for the day.  GBR

Oftentimes it is a matter of timing.  As an example, it is a foregone conclusion that Trey and Lat are not coming back for their super-senior season; but there has been no press release or other formal announcement.   We are so used to immediacy of information that our brain and psyche cannot comprehend the need of timing, judgment and personal space.

4 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Oftentimes it is a matter of timing.  As an example, it is a foregone conclusion that Trey and Lat are not coming back for their super-senior season; but there has been no press release or other formal announcement.   We are so used to immediacy of information that our brain and psyche cannot comprehend the need of timing, judgment and personal space.

My concern is more general, not needing an immediate response to the Popa situation (whatever it is).  It would clear things up if something was said.

With regards to Popa, I have wondered for a year if she was making any progress.    For a couple of years; is Trinity Brady in our long range plans?  We wondered about Dillard.  Any updates on Mendelson?  I'm not looking for a violation of HIPAA, just general info with regards to our roster and staff.  We care.  We're interested.  Throw us a bone. 

Then again, maybe no one is covering the sport between seasons.  Hard to share information if no one asks, "what's going on"?

My pet peeve over many many years is that women's sports just don't get near the coverage that men's sports do.  That's nationwide.  For example a football "walkon" enters the portal.  Front sports page news.  Who cares.  I don't expect the women will ever get equal treatment but an improvement would be nice.

2 hours ago, HUD said:

My pet peeve over many many years is that women's sports just don't get near the coverage that men's sports do.  That's nationwide.  For example a football "walkon" enters the portal.  Front sports page news.  Who cares.  I don't expect the women will ever get equal treatment but an improvement would be nice.

I can understand and empathize with this opinion and I have heard it from a variety of people.  Yet there is significant improvement.   Especially in the LJS.  I have read a wide range of front (sports) page articles regarding the major womens sports (volleyball, basketball, soccer and softball). Some of the minor sports such as rifle, tennis, golf and bowling oftentimes drift to the back pages.  

But coverage of the major sports seem to be at least equal right now.  BUT, with that said, the men's sports have been abysmal the last several years...if they ever rise up, we will see if the LJS maintains the current standard.

I do however acknowledge that husker football coverage oftentimes boarders on the obscene.   I doubt that will change in my lifetime.

6 hours ago, 12dozen said:

My concern is more general, not needing an immediate response to the Popa situation (whatever it is).  It would clear things up if something was said.

With regards to Popa, I have wondered for a year if she was making any progress.    For a couple of years; is Trinity Brady in our long range plans?  We wondered about Dillard.  Any updates on Mendelson?  I'm not looking for a violation of HIPAA, just general info with regards to our roster and staff.  We care.  We're interested.  Throw us a bone. 

Then again, maybe no one is covering the sport between seasons.  Hard to share information if no one asks, "what's going on"?

From the volleyball board, I believe that mendelson will arrive on campus in time to start school on June 6 and I believe will work out with basketball during June. That board also reports that she received an invite to USAV junior team and USAB junior team but as they conflict this year, she chose the vb invite. I’m a little confused by age groups because the gov body changed something so idk when that commitment is. HuskerJen on the nebraska thread on the volleyball board always has good info (insider) but it is always from a vb angle. 

Edited by Jakesbff

On 5/20/2022 at 10:03 AM, 12dozen said:

Bingo 

• 5 weeks later...