Jump to content

2022 off-season moves: Hoiberg vs. Frost


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I figured it out: John Cook needs to spend a couple of schollies on the girlfriends of some 5-stars football/hoops prospects.

The three I know who are dating football players have definitely not worked out for us haha. I'm embarrassed I know this information. I'll go back in my hole now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 7:41 PM, Cazzie22 said:

Both Frost and Fred need to be more flexible and not remain stubborn and insist that their system is best.  Adapt to personnel.  If Frost supervises his staff and demands excellence we should see improvement.  We lost key personnel, especially on the D line, and it remains to be seen if they have been adequately replaced.  

 

Basketball doesn’t look promising.  I just don’t believe we have enough talent.  However, improved team chemistry could result in surprisingly good play.

We played well when the ball moved on offense.  The guys that seemed to slow or stop that are no longer around.  That said, until someone learns to shoot like we have been told they can when recruited, I will pass on the koolaid for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd say the football moves seem better and more importantly football is much closer to being a winning program than basketball. If you have even league average special teams we improve 2-3 games. 

 

I'm having a harder time seeing it in basketball. The roster profiles as a defense first, slow it down team with the offense running through the post more than we have lately. I'm not sure if Hoiberg wants to coach that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tallbaby21 said:

The roster profiles as a defense first, slow it down team with the offense running through the post more than we have lately. I'm not sure if Hoiberg wants to coach that way. 

 

100% this.  Hoiberg must know that his style doesn't fit the roster.  He has been telling recruits to expect a different style of play, but no details have come about saying exactly what that difference is.  I'm hoping that for the upcoming season we'll play exactly like you've described.  If not, and we continue to run up-tempo with a high % of 3pt attempts and hero ball, then I think we are in for another loooong winter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, aphilso1 said:

 

100% this.  Hoiberg must know that his style doesn't fit the roster.  He has been telling recruits to expect a different style of play, but no details have come about saying exactly what that difference is.  I'm hoping that for the upcoming season we'll play exactly like you've described.  If not, and we continue to run up-tempo with a high % of 3pt attempts and hero ball, then I think we are in for another loooong winter.

If we have a high % of 3pt attempts but more of them are coming from the inside out, we’ll make more. That and cutting the hero ball COULD make a big difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Optimistic about football program, staff they brought seems top notch, but Raiola needs to bring it, if the oline is as embarrassing has it has been than literally none of it matters, he needs to get 5 studs that enjoy violence. I’m hoping for 8 wins, be happy with 6, I expect 4 or less and than the real fun will begin. 
 

Basketball program I have literally no idea, i didn’t like the firing of Miles, but i liked the idea of Hoiberg, just like I liked the idea of Frost, up- tempo ball in the big ten is a definite zig to the normal zag, but it just hasn’t worked and the churn of players prevents me from literally knowing anything about the program. I like the identity he’s built this off-season, but has @basketballjones and @Norm Petersonhas said if the style doesn’t change it might be the ugliest season yet and that’s saying something. If we can pull it together and even finish in the middle half of the big ten 6-8 range I’d be thrilled 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobcat402 said:

Optimistic about football program, staff they brought seems top notch, but Raiola needs to bring it, if the oline is as embarrassing has it has been than literally none of it matters, he needs to get 5 studs that enjoy violence. I’m hoping for 8 wins, be happy with 6, I expect 4 or less and than the real fun will begin. 
 

Basketball program I have literally no idea, i didn’t like the firing of Miles, but i liked the idea of Hoiberg, just like I liked the idea of Frost, up- tempo ball in the big ten is a definite zig to the normal zag, but it just hasn’t worked and the churn of players prevents me from literally knowing anything about the program. I like the identity he’s built this off-season, but has @basketballjones and @Norm Petersonhas said if the style doesn’t change it might be the ugliest season yet and that’s saying something. If we can pull it together and even finish in the middle half of the big ten 6-8 range I’d be thrilled 

 

I'd be over the moon if we could finish 9th in the Big Ten.  Sadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It looks like having a Bigger, more physical, defensive minded roster happened by default rather than design. I’m sure Fred was hoping for more highly skilled & polished offensive players, but that’s not what we were able to attract to Campus. I think of the parade of Juco All-Americans & Mr. Basketballs that have waltzed through here & how BAD we’ve been. Now I’m expected to believe a collection of “lunch pail” guys is going to get us over the top. Hopefully my season ticket renewal won’t go up…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It looks like having a Bigger, more physical, defensive minded roster happened by default rather than design. I’m sure Fred was hoping for more highly skilled & polished offensive players, but that’s not what we were able to attract to Campus. I think of the parade of Juco All-Americans & Mr. Basketballs that have waltzed through here & how BAD we’ve been. Now I’m expected to believe a collection of “lunch pail” guys is going to get us over the top. Hopefully my season ticket renewal won’t go up…


Not sure how you arrived at that? Sam G and Gary were his prime targets so that tells me it was the plan and not default. I did not see us chasing a bunch of hero ball guys in the portal at all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It looks like having a Bigger, more physical, defensive minded roster happened by default rather than design. I’m sure Fred was hoping for more highly skilled & polished offensive players, but that’s not what we were able to attract to Campus. I think of the parade of Juco All-Americans & Mr. Basketballs that have waltzed through here & how BAD we’ve been. Now I’m expected to believe a collection of “lunch pail” guys is going to get us over the top. Hopefully my season ticket renewal won’t go up…

 

I had a college friend that passed away today; he was a season ticket holder, and never saw this program amount to shit.

 

I've accepted the fact that I will never live to see that, either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:


Not sure how you arrived at that? Sam G and Gary were his prime targets so that tells me it was the plan and not default. I did not see us chasing a bunch of hero ball guys in the portal at all

Rather than asking out the prettiest girl in school knowing you’re going to get “shot down” it’s easier to ask out the Plain Jane that won’t say NO. Same thing applies here… I’ll be as excited as the next guy when the season starts trust me. But when you roll out with Walker, Wilcher, Keita, Gary, Greisel, (Breidenbach, Lloyd, etc) Do you see us making a BIG jump in the standings…? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Rather than asking out the prettiest girl in school knowing you’re going to get “shot down” it’s easier to ask out the Plain Jane that won’t say NO. Same thing applies here… I’ll be as excited as the next guy when the season starts trust me. But when you roll out with Walker, Wilcher, Keita, Gary, Greisel, (Breidenbach, Lloyd, etc) Do you see us making a BIG jump in the standings…? 

 

Screenshot_20220518-224428_Samsung Internet.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Rather than asking out the prettiest girl in school knowing you’re going to get “shot down” it’s easier to ask out the Plain Jane that won’t say NO. Same thing applies here… I’ll be as excited as the next guy when the season starts trust me. But when you roll out with Walker, Wilcher, Keita, Gary, Greisel, (Breidenbach, Lloyd, etc) Do you see us making a BIG jump in the standings…? 

 

It's possible.  We've tried the recruiting just the highest star rating players we can and throw them together and discovered we have no offensive flow when basically 2 guys demanded the ball 80% of the time.  Look at Miami last year as they didn't have any stars on their team but just played together and found ways to win.  I'd take 5 three star players who played their ass off any day over 5 five star players who are only worrying about what the scouts are thinking and their stats to get them to the next level.  I fully expect us to finish towards the bottom of the league but would not be surprised if we finished around 10th or so.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

 

It's possible.  We've tried the recruiting just the highest star rating players we can and throw them together and discovered we have no offensive flow when basically 2 guys demanded the ball 80% of the time.  Look at Miami last year as they didn't have any stars on their team but just played together and found ways to win.  I'd take 5 three star players who played their ass off any day over 5 five star players who are only worrying about what the scouts are thinking and their stats to get them to the next level.  I fully expect us to finish towards the bottom of the league but would not be surprised if we finished around 10th or so.  

And from the recruiting perspective...we're not exactly doing poorly with that list.   Wasn't Walker, Wilcher, Wilhelm, Lloyd, Keita and Gary all high 3* or 4* by at least one service?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nustudent said:

And from the recruiting perspective...we're not exactly doing poorly with that list.   Wasn't Walker, Wilcher, Wilhelm, Lloyd, Keita and Gary all high 3* or 4* by at least one service?

 

That is true.  You can build a very competitive team with 3 and 4 star players.  Alot of 3 star players mature during college and develop into All-Conference type players.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Rather than asking out the prettiest girl in school knowing you’re going to get “shot down” it’s easier to ask out the Plain Jane that won’t say NO. Same thing applies here… I’ll be as excited as the next guy when the season starts trust me. But when you roll out with Walker, Wilcher, Keita, Gary, Greisel, (Breidenbach, Lloyd, etc) Do you see us making a BIG jump in the standings…? 


Sam had a ton of options, he was in demand for sure and Gary was not an ugly girl in the corner either. I’m not predicting anything yet but I would not be surprised at all if we jumped up in the Big10 (not saying top 5-6). I like to think on the positive side until proven wrong, less depressing that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Rather than asking out the prettiest girl in school knowing you’re going to get “shot down” it’s easier to ask out the Plain Jane that won’t say NO. Same thing applies here… I’ll be as excited as the next guy when the season starts trust me. But when you roll out with Walker, Wilcher, Keita, Gary, Greisel, (Breidenbach, Lloyd, etc) Do you see us making a BIG jump in the standings…? 

No, but I hope for a jump forward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think football has had the better off-season but I don’t think that means much. Frost has already established a culture of losing. It’s a monumental task to flip a program that’s been this historically bad in Year 5, even with some better assistant coaches. I fully expect the football program to hover around .500, even with an easy schedule. I also fully expect Frost to be back for at least another year or two as Nebraska football doesn’t really have any real expectations anymore. I’m rooting for the best outcome possible with Frost, but I just don’t see him being successful here. 
 

I don’t think Hoiberg’s off-season has been that good. Again though, doesn’t mean much. I like that he’s bringing in some tough and physical players. I do believe Hoiberg can coach. I think he stands a better shot at being competitive with some hard-nose players who may not be the best offensively than he does with some of the defense-is-optional rosters he’s had here in the past. I will have to see the final roster, but it would’s surprise me if he scratched off the most wins he’s had since he’s been here. Not that says that much, just saying. I do think Hoiberg will be fired while Trev gives Frost another pass. 
 

Just my opinion. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For some reason I think we may be seeing a little bit of a Trev Alberts effect in the basketball program.  The transfers they brought in seem like hard working team players that are well rounded.  Maybe the conversation with Frost and Hoiberg was to move back from the all out scoring mentality to more of a lets be solid across all phases.  Could be wrong,  who knows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...