2022 off-season moves: Hoiberg vs. Frost

2 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

I understand the logistics but what good comes from letting it die? It still is a positive selling point for the program and even recruits mention it. So if guys want to buy extra tix to keep it going why would we not want that? There is no down side to keeping it going.

That logic always baffles me

This.  It is such a non-issue I have no idea why people bother debating it.

DisguisedExcellentBooby-size_restricted.

1 hour ago, Art Vandalay said:

I understand the logistics but what good comes from letting it die? It still is a positive selling point for the program and even recruits mention it. So if guys want to buy extra tix to keep it going why would we not want that? There is no down side to keeping it going.

That logic always baffles me

Because when UNL has to contact business and donors to make sure that all the tickets are sold to keep a streak alive, it's really more of a fictitious streak than seeing if they would otherwise get sold by fans.  UNL has had to contact business and donors and pretty much force them to buy extra tickets to keep this thing alive.  If the streak can't stand on it's own, then it's time to let it go.

15 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

Because when UNL has to contact business and donors to make sure that all the tickets are sold to keep a streak alive, it's really more of a fictitious streak than seeing if they would otherwise get sold by fans.  UNL has had to contact business and donors and pretty much force them to buy extra tickets to keep this thing alive.  If the streak can't stand on it's own, then it's time to let it go.

Yup. That was kind of my point with my previous post.  When did the streak end? (The first time someone bought up tickets to supposedly keep it going)

18 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

They are not forcing anyone, those are boosters who want it to continue. You still have not explained what it hurts to continue. There is no down side only upside even if everyone knows it’s been artificially extended.

The streak is more about Nebraska fans rather than husker football per se.  You can also say something similar about husker basketball.  Nebraskans like their sports and typically show up.  

It is interesting when the attendance is announced at games.  It is focused on the "greatest" fans in college football.   I am not convinced we are the greatest.  But certainly we are rather tolerant. 

7 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

The streak is more about Nebraska fans rather than husker football per se.  You can also say something similar about husker basketball.  Nebraskans like their sports and typically show up.  

It is interesting when the attendance is announced at games.  It is focused on the "greatest" fans in college football.   I am not convinced we are the greatest.  But certainly we are rather tolerant. 

Fan bases suck everywhere.  A fanbase that shows up even when there's very little chance of victory, plus treats the opposing fans with respect, is rare.  You could argue that the military academies have a better fan base, but among the P5 schools I have a hard time believing you'll find one that tops DONU

15 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Yup. That was kind of my point with my previous post.  When did the streak end? (The first time someone bought up tickets to supposedly keep it going)

To me it ended the first time UNL called up a business and made them buy some additional tickets to ensure it was a sellout.  And trust me, I know a few business owners that we basically forced to buy additional tickets so trust me, this goes on.  If all the tickets get sold without being forced, then that is cool but when I know how much UNL has to market to get them sold, it just loses some of the appeal to me.  Just my opinion as UNL has every right to sell the tickets any way they want I guess.  

15 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

They are not forcing anyone, those are boosters who want it to continue. You still have not explained what it hurts to continue. There is no down side only upside even if everyone knows it’s been artificially extended.

That is absolutely not true about forcing boosters or more likely companies to buy extra tickets.  This streak is only kept around for NU football fans to feel good about themselves and pump their fist against their chest and be able to "self proclaim" they are the greatest college football fans.  UNL knows that once the streak ends, the demand for football tickets will drop off as I remember during the Riley era when you couldn't even give tickets away.  So it's to their benefit to keep it going which is fine.  You are right, it doesn't hurt to continue it but just don't see the point anymore.  Let it die with the balloons.

12 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

To me it ended the first time UNL called up a business and made them buy some additional tickets to ensure it was a sellout.  And trust me, I know a few business owners that we basically forced to buy additional tickets so trust me, this goes on.  If all the tickets get sold without being forced, then that is cool but when I know how much UNL has to market to get them sold, it just loses some of the appeal to me.  Just my opinion as UNL has every right to sell the tickets any way they want I guess.  

Do you know what year that was?  

1 hour ago, kldm64 said:

That is absolutely not true about forcing boosters or more likely companies to buy extra tickets.  This streak is only kept around for NU football fans to feel good about themselves and pump their fist against their chest and be able to "self proclaim" they are the greatest college football fans.  UNL knows that once the streak ends, the demand for football tickets will drop off as I remember during the Riley era when you couldn't even give tickets away.  So it's to their benefit to keep it going which is fine.  You are right, it doesn't hurt to continue it but just don't see the point anymore.  Let it die with the balloons.

‘The streak is kept around because it is good publicity period and we do not get a lot anymore. It’s a recruiting tool that is something different we can offer and recruits do mention it. How much it helps is debatable and probably pretty low but even if it helps just a little why not keep it going. They ask, encourage, and maybe even beg but they do not force anyone.

4 hours ago, kldm64 said:

Don't know the exact year but it was about 6 years ago or so

I remember hearing about that happening when I was in college, which was much more than 6 years ago (Callahan Era).  At the time it was just to make sure the visiting team's allotment would be sold, when the visitors returned tickets too late for Husker fans to gobble up.  Obviously the amount of tickets being purchased in blocks by boosters/companies has increased, and is no longer relegated to returned visitors' tickets.  But the practice of propping up the sellout streak by irregular means has been going on for closer to 20 years than 6.

6 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

But, we can turn not going to bowl games into a recruiting advantage. Tell recruits that if you come here, you’ll get December off.

I walked out of the Stadium with the Band after the Iowa game in 2019 & the soon to be Seniors were talking about how they’d never been to a Bowl game & MAN that’s when it hit me like a ton of bricks…