2022 off-season moves: Hoiberg vs. Frost

On 5/19/2022 at 8:36 PM, Busch Light said:

I think football has had the better off-season but I don’t think that means much. Frost has already established a culture of losing. It’s a monumental task to flip a program that’s been this historically bad in Year 5, even with some better assistant coaches. I fully expect the football program to hover around .500, even with an easy schedule. I also fully expect Frost to be back for at least another year or two as Nebraska football doesn’t really have any real expectations anymore. I’m rooting for the best outcome possible with Frost, but I just don’t see him being successful here. 

I don’t think Hoiberg’s off-season has been that good. Again though, doesn’t mean much. I like that he’s bringing in some tough and physical players. I do believe Hoiberg can coach. I think he stands a better shot at being competitive with some hard-nose players who may not be the best offensively than he does with some of the defense-is-optional rosters he’s had here in the past. I will have to see the final roster, but it would’s surprise me if he scratched off the most wins he’s had since he’s been here. Not that says that much, just saying. I do think Hoiberg will be fired while Trev gives Frost another pass. 

Just my opinion. 

If Frost has established a culture of losing, what has Fred established?

1 hour ago, uneblinstu said:

They get let off the hook because they’ve, you know, on the conference and/or conference tournament recently under their current head coaches.

Absolutely, that can never be taken lightly or easily dismissed. I’m just disappointed the way their seasons ended. Love ❤️ em BOTH…! I was just crackin’ wise, it’s called gallows humor, & it’s all that I have left. 

Edited by Handy Johnson

I think coaching, culture and chemistry are way more important than highly rated players right now.  We just had a 5 star freshman and I wasn’t very happy with how that worked out.  A bunch of mercenaries hasn’t worked out for us.

I like the makeup of our roster for getting those things established next season.  Just depends on how Fred coaches them.  I hope the addition of coach Howard helps in that regard.

19 minutes ago, busticket said:

I think coaching, culture and chemistry are way more important than highly rated players right now.  We just had a 5 star freshman and I wasn’t very happy with how that worked out.  A bunch of mercenaries hasn’t worked out for us.

I like the makeup of our roster for getting those things established next season.  Just depends on how Fred coaches them.  I hope the addition of coach Howard helps in that regard.

I'm with you. 

We're hearing a lot about how some coaches are getting out because it's changing so much, and that the 3 c's you listed aren't as important. And that being a GM/Team Builder is more important now... I just wholeheartedly disagree. I think the coaches who are able to buckle down and dig in with building their cultures are going to be more successful. If you're worried about players leaving - you're doing in wrong. You can treat them as well as you want, give them opportunities, and even success - and they might jolt the second they get a better opportunity. If your culture is strong it won't matter. You shouldn't be actively running players off - but if you're not demanding a level of accountability because you're afraid, you're doing it wrong imo. 

On 5/12/2022 at 9:54 AM, Handy Johnson said:

We open vs Northwestern as a 9/12 point favorite. Early prognosticators have us going 6-6 which I’d say is the WORST possible scenario. That would give us three more undeserved years of Frost. Either play for a B1G Title or move on. Offense should be better simply by eliminating 2AM, Blackshirts probably much worse. Hoiberg lost his TWO leading scorers from a 13th place team, so…

I think Frost's got lightning-in-a-bottle in his new QB & skill players. Now, the battle in the trenches has me a bit concerned, albeit the recent additions to the DL have given me a pep in my step. How it all fits together will tell the tale.

Freddy, who knows... at this point, his 4th squad could go 16-15 & somehow it'd feel like *MAJOR* improvement. But, is it really???

On 5/22/2022 at 7:56 PM, Handy Johnson said:

Don’t let Baseball off the hook or our “cup of coffee” appearance in the Softball Tournament… 

Softball not in the discussion.   Won a big ten championship in a 6 or 7 bid league.  Got a tough spot to play in and didn't play at highest ability that weekend.  

I don’t recall there ever ever, ever being a 3 game “mini package” ticket promotion for Football. That’s because there’s never HAD to be a promotion. I’m sure the turnstile counts the last few years have been alarming, but this seems like a flashing Red Light to me. Forget about the Balloons, is the Sellout Streak the next thing to go…? Not saying it will be this year, but they want to widen those seats for reasons other than comfort.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I don’t recall there ever ever, ever being a 3 game “mini package” ticket promotion for Football. That’s because there’s never HAD to be a promotion. I’m sure the turnstile counts the last few years have been alarming, but this seems like a flashing Red Light to me. Forget about the Balloons, is the Sellout Streak the next thing to go…? Not saying it will be this year, but they want to widen those seats for reasons other than comfort.

It's amazing to me the people that still think the sellout streak is real.  I guess from an accounting standpoint it might be but serious, let it just die already.  Hard to continue to brag about a sellout streak when there are empty seats all over the place.  It's really become a joke that NU continues to have to find ways to make sure all the tickets get sold just to continue this.  NU could end this now and the record would never be touched so just let it go already.

11 minutes ago, kldm64 said:

It's amazing to me the people that still think the sellout streak is real.  I guess from an accounting standpoint it might be but serious, let it just die already.  Hard to continue to brag about a sellout streak when there are empty seats all over the place.  It's really become a joke that NU continues to have to find ways to make sure all the tickets get sold just to continue this.  NU could end this now and the record would never be touched so just let it go already.

The “Streak” doesn’t matter to me in the least, I was merely raising the issue in regards to the Ticket Package.  Frankly, my concern is simply winning the B1G West.

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Should have ended last year, but for a few donors who bought blocks of tickets for disadvantaged youth.

Winning will provide a cure.

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

So if you allow companies to buy up seats that were not sold could a company like Nike give millions to say Oregon and say they are for all the unused seats from past games and over take Nebraska's "streak?"

Sure, why not if they can afford it (which I'm sure they can) and it means that much to them.  Seems like people in Nebraska are the only ones who really care about this.  At least Notre Dame was smart enough to let their streak end several years back.  

6 hours ago, kldm64 said:

I understand the logistics but what good comes from letting it die? It still is a positive selling point for the program and even recruits mention it. So if guys want to buy extra tix to keep it going why would we not want that? There is no down side to keeping it going.

That logic always baffles me