Jim Rose & the demise of UNL

Jim took the opportunity this morning on KFAB to take the Baylor Scheirman signing & fold it into an unhinged rant about the failings of BOTH the Football/Basketball programs. According to Rose the reason our programs have been “AWFUL” for 20 years is our inability or unwillingness to keep Nebraska kids at home. Everyone from Collier to Pelini to Miles was equally at fault & culpable. Aside from being factually inaccurate & a tired overly simple narrative, it’s convenient to say this NOW. Maybe Jim hasn’t heard of Sam Griesel, Charlie Easley, Teddy Allen, Johnny Trueblood, Akol Arop etc etc…

37 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

Jim took the opportunity this morning on KFAB to take the Baylor Scheirman signing & fold it into an unhinged rant about the failings of BOTH the Football/Basketball programs. According to Rose the reason our programs have been “AWFUL” for 20 years is our inability or unwillingness to keep Nebraska kids at home. Everyone from Collier to Pelini to Miles was equally at fault & culpable. Aside from being factually inaccurate & a tired overly simple narrative, it’s convenient to say this NOW. Maybe Jim hasn’t heard of Sam Griesel, Charlie Easley, Teddy Allen, Johnny Trueblood, Akol Arop etc etc…

Is it "the" factor? No. Is it a contributing factor? I could be convince. From the outside looking in it seems to have some validity. 

To me it seems if all things have been equal if the Football and Basketball coaches are taking a chance on a kid they pick the out of state kid before the in state kid. 

The football landscape is vastly different from the glory days.  Nebraska should expect to “compete” every year for the B1G West Title in FB and on occasion maybe win a B1G Championship.  In BB we should expect to be competitive most seasons and eventually win a NCAA Tournament game or two.  

50 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

Didn't Jim qiut mid season of a football season?

Actually, the downfall of NU's major sports really went careening out of control after Rose was hired to do football PxP and to be Pederson's yes man on the radio, so I blame him. He's a blowhard & tool of unimaginable proportions.

Edited by throwback

Not keeping Nebraska kids has been prevalent for much longer than twenty years.  Bob Boozer, G. Sayers and others escaped our grasp.

What affected us more was scholarship limitations, the demise/changes of the Big 8, TV saturation and a few lazy ass coaching staffs.  

That said, what Rose said has grown legs, especially when we haven't landed top Nebraska/Omaha talent in several years.

Let me ask a question...and I apologize as it is slanted towards football...but Okie State just plucked a QB from Gretna.  Nebraska does have a QB from central Nebraska on the roster.  But generally speaking, we recruit our QB's elsewhere.  We used to live on RB's from Omaha.

Two questions, should we have taken the Gretna QB this cycle or are you happy with the east coast kid that we secured???  Why can't we find a home grown RB any longer?

It sort of seems to me that the Omaha metro coaches no longer filter their talent our direction.   So going back to Rose...I would say it is our inability rather than our unwillingness. 

Edited by Huskerpapa

2 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

We need Solich's forgiveness. This all started going downhill fast after his demise. 

We also need to get Coca Cola back as an exclusive. Football program tanked when they switched over to Pepsi.  When it comes to NCAA Championships it's already been proven that Coca Cola schools dominate. I've posted this before. 

Not keeping Nebraska kids has been prevalent for much longer than twenty years.  Bob Boozer, G. Sayers and others escaped our grasp.
What affected us more was scholarship limitations, the demise/changes of the Big 8, TV saturation and a few lazy ass coaching staffs.  
That said, what Rose said has grown legs, especially when we haven't landed top Nebraska/Omaha talent in several years.

Let me ask a question...and I apologize as it is slanted towards football...but Okie State just plucked a QB from Gretna.  Nebraska does have a QB from central Nebraska on the roster.  But generally speaking, we recruit our QB's elsewhere.  We used to live on RB's from Omaha.
Two questions, should we have taken the Gretna QB this cycle or are you happy with the east coast kid that we secured???  Why can't we find a home grown RB any longer?
It sort of seems to me that the Omaha metro coaches no longer filter their talent our direction.   So going back to Rose...I would say it is our inability rather than our unwillingness. 
Actually there are two QB's from central Nebraska on the roster.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

We also need to get Coca Cola back as an exclusive. Football program tanked when they switched over to Pepsi.  When it comes to NCAA Championships it's already been proven that Coca Cola schools dominate. I've posted this before. 

The Coca Cola Company has more than double the revenue of PepsiCo, so part of this is that they are casting a much wider net.  They are also from Atlanta, which also happens to be the headquarters of the SEC.  Pepsi is from NY.  USC and tOSU are the only schools that aren't in Coke's backyard.  I didn't check to see if basketball was any more even.  A lot of southern schools have dominated basketball lately too, but I do know for a fact that Kansas is a Pepsi school.

What really angers me is that we've been a Pepsi school for a long time, but where are our can collaborations?

UF168138.jpg?width=1024&height=576&mode=

A female version of Herbie would probably be even less attractive than Alberta the Gator...

The Coca Cola Company has more than double the revenue of PepsiCo, so part of this is that they are casting a much wider net.  They are also from Atlanta, which also happens to be the headquarters of the SEC.  Pepsi is from NY.  USC and tOSU are the only schools that aren't in Coke's backyard.  I didn't check to see if basketball was any more even.  A lot of southern schools have dominated basketball lately too, but I do know for a fact that Kansas is a Pepsi school.

What really angers me is that we've been a Pepsi school for a long time, but where are our can collaborations?

UF168138.jpg?width=1024&height=576&mode=crop

A female version of Herbie would probably be even less attractive than Alberta the Gator...
I prefer Pepsi myself. Coke has to flat of a taste.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk