NIL…one new issue that will occur.

Let’s say a booster or a group of boosters sets up a big NIL deal to get Billy Bomber to cone and play for NU.

Lets say BB suffers an injury early on and others play and the team is doing really well. Now BB is healthy but only getting limited minutes because the team chemistry is set and there is no need to mess with it.

Seems to me that the booster or boosters is/are going to be calling the coach to pitch a fit about their investment in BB, etc.

Seems to me that its not if it happens but when it happens.

27 minutes ago, bkamler said:

Let’s say a booster or a group of boosters sets up a big NIL deal to get Billy Bomber to cone and play for NU.

Lets say BB suffers an injury early on and others play and the team is doing really well. Now BB is healthy but only getting limited minutes because the team chemistry is set and there is no need to mess with it.

Seems to me that the booster or boosters is/are going to be calling the coach to pitch a fit about their investment in BB, etc.

Seems to me that its not if it happens but when it happens.

I think the biggest fallout that's going to occur from NIL is fat cat boosters are going to write checks directly to players and not to programs. And the consequence of that is going to be that, if you didn't have the foresight to upgrade your facilities recently, you better hope you can get by with just a new coat of paint and a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the remodel of the head coach's office. Because all the money that would have gone to facility upgrades is now going to go to TV ads for the latest recruit pretending to like the local Buick dealership.

Fortunately for us, our stuff is still pretty new and the things that we're building now are (hopefully) already funded.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think the biggest fallout that's going to occur from NIL is fat cat boosters are going to write checks directly to players and not to programs. And the consequence of that is going to be that, if you didn't have the foresight to upgrade your facilities recently, you better hope you can get by with just a new coat of paint and a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the remodel of the head coach's office. Because all the money that would have gone to facility upgrades is now going to go to TV ads for the latest recruit pretending to like the local Buick dealership.

Fortunately for us, our stuff is still pretty new and the things that we're building now are (hopefully) already funded.

Correct, Norm, at least to a certain degree.   I broke bread with an NIL donor over the weekend, and he indicated his participation in an NIL collective would reduce somewhat his direct contributions toward facilities.   There is only so much $$ out there.    The current trend is to put resources directly toward talent acquisition.  Many NIL donors at least for now think that   has a higher chance of working than vague concepts of "we have great facilities".  

2 minutes ago, Art Vandalay said:

The $100M a year Big10 payout (if the numbers are true) would allow us to do more facilities internally and let donors give to NIL.

Was just going to post the same thing.  With department revenues pushing $200MM once the new media contract comes into effect, the NUAD won't need to rely on donors so much for facilities upgrades anyway.  Might as well divert those donor $$ towards "recruiting" (for want of a better term) now.

I remember when Murray Warmath drove the Golden Gophers down to play the Big Red in a couple of old school buses in ‘71. He said he knew Minnesota was in trouble when they pulled into the parking lot & saw all the Huskers kissing their cheerleader girlfriends goodbye before hopping into their new Red sports cars…

Another set of problems with NIL that I don't think we've really talked enough about:

1. It just feels kinda dirty that your team (regardless of which team you cheer for) went out and bought a roster.

2. You instinctively know that there's a strong, positive correlation between the size of the NIL deal and your chances of landing any given player. So, you also understand, therefore, that players are making decisions based less about relationships and loyalty to a particular institution and more about being mercenaries to the highest bidder.

3. The portal is going to be active with players looking for better NIL deals.

4. You don't get a better NIL deal by being the blue-collar, lunchpail kind of guy who gets floor burns from diving for loose balls. Think about that. Think very hard about that. Think about incentives and how people respond to incentives. This NIL stuff, in a lot of ways, presents a perverse incentive.

5. It's going to be more difficult than ever for coaches to manage a group of players whose individual goals will necessarily not align exactly with the team goals of group cohesion, team success, and working towards a group goal greater than any one player.

So, a prediction: We might be looking at some crappy basketball, but at the end of the game, one team still has to win. The coaches who can best manage all the egos and get their players to buy in are going to have more success than some of the coaches whose boosters will have produced some of the better NIL deals.

Therefore, go out and find a couple of studs and try to reel them in, but you better also find some guys who just want to win.

Edited by Norm Peterson

54 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, a prediction: We might be looking at some crappy basketball, but at the end of the game, one team still has to win. The coaches who can best manage all the egos and get their players to buy in are going to have more success than some of the coaches whose boosters will have produced some of the better NIL deals.

Therefore, go out and find a couple of studs and try to reel them in, but you better also find some guys who just want to win.

Trying to look at this optimistically, perhaps Fred is better situated to manage a roster in the NIL era than most coaches.  He already cut his teeth in the NBA, which other than English Premier League soccer, is perhaps the most diva-centric league in the world.  Not that he was known as an astute manager of personalities or anything...but at least this ain't his first rodeo. 

Also, his reliance on transfers and use of the sit out year as a way of managing roster playing time was a big part of his ISU success.  He zigged when others zagged.  Now that the whole D1 builds rosters around the transfer portal, his approach lost its distinctiveness.  Perhaps NIL and all it entails will once again create opportunities for creative coaches to assemble rosters counter to the mainstream thinking. 

12 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Trying to look at this optimistically, perhaps Fred is better situated to manage a roster in the NIL era than most coaches.  He already cut his teeth in the NBA, which other than English Premier League soccer, is perhaps the most diva-centric league in the world.  Not that he was known as an astute manager of personalities or anything...but at least this ain't his first rodeo. 

Also, his reliance on transfers and use of the sit out year as a way of managing roster playing time was a big part of his ISU success.  He zigged when others zagged.  Now that the whole D1 builds rosters around the transfer portal, his approach lost its distinctiveness.  Perhaps NIL and all it entails will once again create opportunities for creative coaches to assemble rosters counter to the mainstream thinking. 

Unfortunately, the last 3 years have done nothing to show he can manage this sort of roster. I'd say the best hope is that we get better players through NIL.

32 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Unfortunately, the last 3 years have done nothing to show he can manage this sort of roster. I'd say the best hope is that we get better players through NIL.

The start of this last season, almost the very first minute of the first actual game, was my "oh shit" moment that the season could go pear-shaped.

The Colorado exhibition was promising. Ball movement looked really good for about 3/4 of the game, and we got up big on a team that was expected to do some things in the PAC However Many.

But ball movement damn near stopped from the opening tip against Western Illinois as two guys who probably had pretty lucrative NIL deals took turns at having the ball stop in their hands. The possession was going to end with a shot by whichever of those two guys got the first touch after the first pass.

And nothing happened. No consequence. Nobody got yanked. We didn't see two guys sit for a stretch and get told to get with the program.

And it took 27 more games to get things straightened out.

Yeah, Chuck, I'm with you. Not a lot of confidence. Strictly a "prove it on the floor" approach from me this year.

19 hours ago, 49r said:

I think we need about 16 more separate threads on NIL on the front page to really get the conversation started.

Maybe the Mods can add a second Subform on this board. Husker Hoops Recruiting being the original Subform..and then add Husker Hoops NIL as a second subform. 

oh and here is my IL just to add to the discussion: 

71693746_10219786189355951_4257485082048069632_n.jpg

Edited by Nighthawk

First 13 Husker possessions of the '21-'22 season, game 1 against Western Illinois, through first media timeout.

Possession length/Player/result

13 seconds/Alonzo Verge/missed jumper from opening tip

19 seconds/Bryce McGowens/missed layup following WIU made shot

4 seconds/Trey McGowens/missed layup following Trey McGowens steal

7 seconds/Bryce McGowens/missed jumper following Bryce McGowens defensive rebound

10 seconds/Bryce McGowens/2 made FTs following Alonzo Verge defensive rebound

3 seconds/Bryce McGowens/missed 3 pointer following Derrick Walker defensive rebound

13 seconds/Derrick Walker/missed layup following Bryce McGowens defensive rebound

7 seconds/Bryce McGowens/made layup following Bryce McGowens defensive rebound

17 seconds/Alonzo Verge/made layup following WIU made shot

15 seconds/Alonzo Verge/missed jumper following WIU made shot

9 seconds/Bryce McGowens/missed jumper following Derrick Walker defensive rebound

7 seconds/Derrick Walker/missed 3 pointer following Alonzo Verge defensive rebound

15 seconds/Derrick Walker/turnover following WIU made shot

Average possession length: 10.7 seconds

Points per possession: 0.46

(Average possession length for possessions in the first half ending in shots by Bryce McGowens: 9.35 seconds)

It was in that first six minute stretch of the first half of the first game last year that I concluded this could be another really crappy season. And it took 27 more games before they started to look again like the team that throttled Colorado in the first 30 minutes of that earlier exhibition. So, I'll just sit here and be cautiously pessimistic that Hoiberg can pull a rabbit out of the NIL hat. He has not shown a deft touch so far at getting egos and competing financial interests to blend into a cohesive, functioning unit.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

5. It's going to be more difficult than ever for coaches to manage a group of players whose individual goals will necessarily not align exactly with the team goals of group cohesion, team success, and working towards a group goal greater than any one player.

It feels unseemly because we're not used to the idea that we can pay players to join our college team. Amateurism is gone. Frankly, it has been for a while. This is what comes with that. What it will look like and what form it will take I expect to evolve considerably over the next few years as everyone adjusts to this new reality and more guardrails get put into place. The waves are big right now because the splash of the rock into the pond are fresh. They will enivitably calm down as the market gets clarified and settled. 

NIL has turned into pay-for-play, which is not what what the original intent was, but that was the enitivable result from this change. Those that figured that out the fastest will have the biggest short term success. But professional teams have dealt with this part that I quoted for a long time. Just because a guy is getting paid a lot of money doesn't mean they are guaranteed to stop being a team player. They're going to get paid to be the best player they can be and help the team win. That will be part of the expectation. There will be locker room inequities in terms of whose NIL deals are larger than other players. That's not new either, it's just new, or maybe it's just out in the open, to college sports. And even if they are "in it for themselves" it'll be in their best interest for future career opportunities to do the little, winning things.

Edited by uneblinstu

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Another set of problems with NIL that I don't think we've really talked enough about:

1. It just feels kinda dirty that your team (regardless of which team you cheer for) went out and bought a roster.

2. You instinctively know that there's a strong, positive correlation between the size of the NIL deal and your chances of landing any given player. So, you also understand, therefore, that players are making decisions based less about relationships and loyalty to a particular institution and more about being mercenaries to the highest bidder.

3. The portal is going to be active with players looking for better NIL deals.

4. You don't get a better NIL deal by being the blue-collar, lunchpail kind of guy who gets floor burns from diving for loose balls. Think about that. Think very hard about that. Think about incentives and how people respond to incentives. This NIL stuff, in a lot of ways, presents a perverse incentive.

I'd like to speak specifically to #4: Let's say I'm 'Joe-Bag-of-Donuts" Walk On from York Nebraska & I'm busting my ass every day in practice, meanwhile in the locker beside me is Million Dollar NIL guy who half-asses it through practice, has a NEW ride out front & his own Radio Show. I'm not naive, every locker room has it's own pecking order based on talent, future earnings etc. But I find it REALLY hard to believe this is conducive for a Team First mentality or a certain level of Espirit De Corp. We aren't going back, I get that too, I'm just worried the Sport we know & love will be changed in ways we have yet to imagine.... 

:ph34r:  Well, there's always Women's Basketball. (Since 1927 when the NSAA Schools allowed it - again)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women's_basketball

Women's basketball began in the fall of 1892 at Smith College.  Senda Berenson, recently hired as a young "physical culture" director at Smith, taught basketball to her students, hoping the activity would improve their physical health....... basketball became the first women's team sport, followed shortly after by hockey. :Signhuh:

Despite participating in the first intercollegiate women's basketball game, Stanford's faculty athletic committee banned intercollegiate competition for women, first in team sports like basketball and later extending to all sports, and Cal (as well as many other prestigious colleges at the time) followed suit. In many cases, such bans were not lifted until the 1970s and the introduction ot Title IX.

Oh, and....

Despite men being forbidden from watching these collegiate games, the attire (bloomers over stockings) still drew public ridicule.

Edited by Red Don

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

I'd like to speak specifically to #4: Let's say I'm 'Joe-Bag-of-Donuts" Walk On from York Nebraska & I'm busting my ass every day in practice, meanwhile in the locker beside me is Million Dollar NIL guy who half-asses it through practice, has a NEW ride out front & his own Radio Show. I'm not naive, every locker room has it's own pecking order based on talent, future earnings etc. But I find it REALLY hard to believe this is conducive for a Team First mentality or a certain level of Espirit De Corp. We aren't going back, I get that too, I'm just worried the Sport we know & love will be changed in ways we have yet to imagine.... 

the only thing that has changed after NIL is the players don’t have to quiet about it. 🤨

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I think this point in particular is what makes me think that everything NIL-related is somewhat overblown. Isn't this just athletics at it's core? Winning coaches/programs find ways to get everyone to buy into their role and gel together. And if players get too caught up in getting theirs, that's when things fall apart. 

NIL just brought the shadiness into the light and the public can actually see real dollar amounts.

I had hoped that players who didn’t want to go to class or college could go to the G-League and that players who saw the advantages of a college education enrolled for at least 3 years.  NIL has wrecked that.  Players can get more money from NIL than from G-League.  

I know, my hope was somewhat a pipe dream. 

28 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Quick question, does NIL only apply to Division 1 or is all of the levels of college sports.

and… how about high school?

It's state by state with HS...this is what I found: https://opendorse.com/blog/nil-high-school/#:~:text=Notes%3A The current regulations prohibit,gifts of a monetary nature”.

8 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Boosters involving themselves in NIL/recruitment are getting the attention of the NCAA:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10034858-report-nil-contracts-to-be-subject-to-possible-ncaa-sanctions-under-new-guidelines

Good luck putting the genie back in the bottle. I'd guess the big-buck boys have loooooved being out front in recruiting this spring.

According to Dellenger, the new guidelines "will highlight existing NCAA bylaws that outlaw boosters from participating in recruiting, reminding member schools of guardrails that, while in place for years, have been bent and broken during the first 10 months of the NIL era."