That May 1 deadline ...

This is an article relating to West Virginia sports but it does sort of answer your question. 

It does shut the door on anyone intending to play next season...but that is about it.  It doesn't "force" players like Trey or Lat to finalize their decision.  Although I personally believe those decisions will be announced within the next several days 

My sole concern is IF Trey stays and Baylor decides on Nebraska then somebody draws the short straw.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/wvu/ncaa-transfer-portal-deadline-looms/article_70fa2a0c-082f-5cc1-8464-128bb647e8ac.html

Edited by Huskerpapa

On 4/29/2022 at 3:42 PM, Norm Peterson said:

Is that a deadline to commit or a deadline to enter the portal?

As I understand it, the consequence of missing the deadline is that you sit a year. But what does the deadline apply to?

Thanks

theres no deadline to commit if that's what you're referring to. players realistically have all summer to decide.

I would say if we haven’t heard anything about Trey McGowens today, it’s safe to assume he’s not transferring at least. But could still be weighing GLeague/Euro options. 

I wonder how much Scheireman’s decision has to do with what Trey does?

As far as Lat goes… I can’t think with our recent additions and Wilhelm being healthy he’s coming back. 

Edited by basketballjones
It said Lat when I meant Trey

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I would say if we haven’t heard anything about Trey McGowens today, it’s safe to assume he’s not transferring at least. But could still be weighing GLeague/Euro options. 

I wonder how much Scheireman’s decision has to do with what Lat does?

As far as Lat goes… I can’t think with our recent additions and Wilhelm being healthy he’s coming back. 

Trey more likely to come back than Lat.  

On 5/1/2022 at 8:22 AM, basketballjones said:

I wonder how much Scheireman’s decision has to do with what Trey does?

Assuming that Trey graduates, he'd be able to grad transfer without sitting a year if that's what he wanted.

16 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

I will be stunned if Trey transfers.  I believe he is weighing two choices; pro ball or husker basketball.  We will soon know his choice. I also believe Lat is eyeing a pro contract in Australia.  We shall see if that happens.

With NIL money these days, nothing surprises me anymore.  If Trey gets a better deal from another school, he will gone.  

On 5/5/2022 at 12:54 PM, Huskerpapa said:

My source said huskers or professional...perhaps you or your source heard different specifics???

I don't have any source on this one.  He won't get drafted so depends on if he wants to play in the G league or go overseas or just play one more year of college ball.  Just saying that if another schools overs him $300,000 in NIL and he is only making $50,000 at NU as an example, most likely he will go where the money is.  Kids aren't loyal to a school anymore.  They aren't loyal to where they can make the most money.

I just get the hunch, with the way we're operating in the portal, that others who are saying it's Huskers vs. "Pro" are correct. The McGowens', regardless of how poorly this has gone so far, seem to very much love NU. Bryce is all over people's instagrams when they commit to NU (even after deciding to go pro), as is Trey usually. 

If healthy, obviously Trey is a massive piece. No COVID, no ball dominant PG to play alongside, last year for sure - playing for all the marbles. 

I just can't see him being able to get more $$$ as a grad transfer. And I'm not sure I see a team who is close to major success, having a role for him that he likes. JMHO

Edited by basketballjones