Baylor Scheierman

bkamler

On 5/5/2022 at 9:59 PM, Norm Peterson said:

So, let's say you're a highly sought after transfer kid who grew up in Nebraska and you're now in the transfer portal with your pick of a lot of places. Do you go ...

a) to a local program where the head coach has won an average of 8 games per season for the last 3 seasons; OR

b) somewhere else?

I don't feel like I'm in any position to judge Baylor Scheierman's choice here.

We need to earn the respect we want. Start winning some games and we'll start landing players like this. Until then, we really have no business complaining that he didn't pick us. Hell, I wouldn't pick us at this point.

Me, personally, still A. I've partied on both campuses and the female talent isn't even comparable. Assuming "Somewhere else" meant Creighton... 

Now if it's NU vs. USC, Arizona State, SEC schools, UNC..... hmmmmm

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Me, personally, still A. I've partied on both campuses and the female talent isn't even comparable. Assuming "Somewhere else" meant Creighton... 

Now if it's NU vs. USC, Arizona State, SEC schools, UNC..... hmmmmm

I highly doubt that's a factor in his case honestly.

30 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I can't wait for Baylor to turn down the invite, opening a spot for Trey, who then earns a great G-League contract. That would be elite Nebrasketball karma. 

OR...Baylor goes and impresses and gets invited to that major second step.  Perhaps at that point his college decision become superfluous. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 5/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, basketballjones said:

“The biggest separator was the culture,” Scheierman told the World-Herald. “Coach Hoiberg’s trying to build that culture with Nebrasketball. Creighton has already established its culture."

https://omaha.com/sports/college/creighton/baylor-scheierman-commits-to-creighton/article_34af5b48-cae2-11ec-a9a0-9f670a219420.html

HeLLLLLo BayLLLLLor. Want to revisit those remarks?

I went over to the dark side to see what the birds were saying about the melt down. I think it is interesting that many aren’t overly happy with Baylor. Many see him as just a shooter with no other game. 

also if we would have gotten him would we have not gotten one of the other transfer?  Something to think about. 

17 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

I went over to the dark side to see what the birds were saying about the melt down. I think it is interesting that many aren’t overly happy with Baylor. Many see him as just a shooter with no other game. 

also if we would have gotten him would we have not gotten one of the other transfer?  Something to think about. 

If I'm not mistaken, Griesel was already committed when Baylor was making his decision.

I'm just going to go ahead and put this here for reference/gloating purposes:

On 2/22/2022 at 9:48 AM, 49r said:

I watch a smattering of Summit League hoops on ESPN+ and I think about that all the time.  Like, could Baylor Scheierman come in for us and dominate the Big Ten like he does in the Summit?  And every time the conclusion I come to is "no...no he would not".

also re: Scheierman

On 2/22/2022 at 2:00 PM, 49r said:

I watched a bit of the SDSU game against St Thomas over the weekend and I kept thinking "there's no way he would be able to get that shot off against a Big Ten defense".

Great player in the Summit League though.

It really does appear that we got the better Summit League player.

49 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Let's revisit this at the end of the season. 

Yeah, probably the prudent thing to do. But I couldn't help rubbing someone's nose in things after what was said when he committed.

But that's probably not entirely fair because I said myself at the time that I would have probably made the same decision he did if I was looking at the same decision at that time. Who knew the worm would turn like this? I sure as hell wasn't expecting it.

4 hours ago, Silverbacked1 said:

This seemed to be the case, but in the loss to Arizona State they started to use him like Sam.  When he got a smaller man on him he would back him into the paint and it worked for a couple of big possessions.  They tried to do it at the end but State packed the paint and he had to kick it out for a bad 3 point attempt that missed.  He is still a good player, but he is very much a volume shooter, and those guys can shoot you out of games as well.   

He wasn't a volume shooter at South Dakota and he's not one now at Creighton. He's an elite playmaker being used as an outside shooter because Nembhard is the PG.  In his spare time he's an elite rebounder and definitely a NBA prospect.  I get why he ended up at Creighton but it's one of life's ironies that the better fit and perhaps even the better culture was at Nebraska.

49 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

He wasn't a volume shooter at South Dakota and he's not one now at Creighton. He's an elite playmaker being used as an outside shooter because Nembhard is the PG.  In his spare time he's an elite rebounder and definitely a NBA prospect.  I get why he ended up at Creighton but it's one of life's ironies that the better fit and perhaps even the better culture was at Nebraska.

Maybe volume shooter wasn't the best descriptive word but I see him as a guy that needs his ups and he will throw up some long, ill-advised 3's at times.   I agree that passing is one of his strongest traits and it is not used often enough at CU.

51 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

That was my big hope for Creighton not living up to the hype. They arguably played better down the stretch when Nemhardt went down. Trey did well at the point and Kaluma got lots of touches. Now add Baylor who is great with the ball in his hands but RH is back and dominating the ball a lot. Doesn’t seem like they know their roles. All 5 starters deserve touches but that rarely ever turns out well. Tough spot for how Baylor likes to play

On 12/13/2022 at 9:17 AM, 49r said:

I'm just going to go ahead and put this here for reference/gloating purposes:

also re: Scheierman

It really does appear that we got the better Summit League player.

Baylor: 12.5 PPG, .556 TS%, 9.6 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.4 TPG, 1.0 SPG, 31.2 MPG
Sam: 10.7 PPG, .523 TS%, 5.8 RPG, 4.8 APG, 2.6 TPG, 1.4 SPG, 32.8 MPG

I think both guys have been feeling things out and adjusting to their roles, teammates and level of competition. Like Navin said, Baylor upped his aggressiveness in the second half against Arizona State with the other perimeter players struggling. Fans aren't ever happy with anybody during a losing streak, but Baylor's been the least of their problems and I think he's going to settle in just fine and we'll see a bit more out of him.

Both guys have shown they can absolutely be a difference-maker at the high-major level. Both are looking for consistency, but that's to be expected with the leap in competition. I think both guys are happy with their decisions and will get better moving forward.