Baylor Scheierman

bkamler

9 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

He's bounced around a bit and is basically a role player, but is very much still in the league. That's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Yeah, Looks like he is on pace to finish his career with more NBA points than anyone from Nebrasketball...don't know if I'd be dumping on his career.

Edited by The Polish Rifle
avoid confusion

Any bum can make money in the NBA *see* Doug McDermott, has he had a POY impactful career the likes of a College Super Star? Forget Dirk Nowitzki or Larry Bird, he’s not even in the conversation with Laettner or Grayson Allen. What’s his most memorable Playoff performance? Do you see kids up & down the street with his jersey on…??? The fact someone asked if he’s still in the League proves my point. 

Edited by Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

Any bum can make money in the NBA *see* Doug McDermott, has he had a POY impactful career the likes of a College Super Star? Forget Dirk Nowitzki or Larry Bird, he’s not even in the conversation with Laettner or Grayson Allen. What’s his most memorable Playoff performance? Do you see kids up & down the street with his jersey on…??? The fact someone asked if he’s still in the League proves my point. 

Proves what point?

Dudes getting ready for his 9th year in the NBA and has had his 3 best scoring averages in the last three years. Including his highest 3pt % this year, on the most attempts per game of his career. 

Lotta guys out there wishing they had that shitty of a career. 

Edited by basketballjones
Read # of years incorrectly on reference page.

4 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Proves what point?

Dudes getting ready for his 13th year in the NBA and has had his 3 best scoring averages in the last three years. Including his highest 3pt % this year, on the most attempts per game of his career. 

It’s all context, has he had a career that you’d equate with the BEST player in College Basketball? He’s a journeyman & that’s fine, but he’s hasn’t been the Super Star that he & the Bluejay faithful assumed he would be. 

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

Proves what point?

Dudes getting ready for his 13th year in the NBA and has had his 3 best scoring averages in the last three years. Including his highest 3pt % this year, on the most attempts per game of his career. 

Uhhh...13th???

Dude was drafted in 2014.  I count 8 seasons in there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcderdo01.html

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Uhhh...13th???

Dude was drafted in 2014.  I count 8 seasons in there.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcderdo01.html

Yeah that sounded high when I said it - I think I counted when he got traded, and they list it on another line. Sorry, just quickly ran through that. 

Of course, he's nearing on a 10 year NBA career. 

1 hour ago, Faux Mike Peltz said:

Lots of sour grapes all around. Same from me. Moving on. I work with a dozen Jays and Jayskers and I’m getting it big time today. But they all se to think they are final four bound next year so this will be fun to watch….

The only worse thing I can imagine is living in Iowa City.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Baylor Scheierman vs Sam Griesel in 3 games this season.

Sam - 19 ppg, 4 apg, 5 rpg

Baylor - 18.6 ppg, 3.6 apg, 6 rpg

Just wanted to take a moment to pump up our boy...

Fair enough but a quick counterpoint here:

81 South Dakota St. (30-5)

Jackrabbits · Brookings, SD
Head coach: Eric Henderson
Summit League

2022 Schedule help.gif

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  

Thu Dec 30 91 152 North Dakota St. W, 90-86 66   Away 12-4 3-0  

Sat Jan 29 76 152 North Dakota St. W, 80-76 75   Home 19-4 10-0  

Summit League Tournament

Tue Mar 8 68 152 North Dakota St. W, 75-69 68   Semi-Home 30-4    
NCAA Tournament - 13 seed

1 minute ago, 49r said:

Fair enough but a quick counterpoint here:

81 South Dakota St. (30-5)

Jackrabbits · Brookings, SD
Head coach: Eric Henderson
Summit League

2022 Schedule help.gif

Date Rk Opponent Result     Location Record Conf  

Thu Dec 30 91 152 North Dakota St. W, 90-86 66   Away 12-4 3-0  

Sat Jan 29 76 152 North Dakota St. W, 80-76 75   Home 19-4 10-0  

Summit League Tournament

Tue Mar 8 68 152 North Dakota St. W, 75-69 68   Semi-Home 30-4    
NCAA Tournament - 13 seed

Don't you dare interrupt our kvetching! Beat the f*ck outta Creighton!

2 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

It’s all context, has he had a career that you’d equate with the BEST player in College Basketball? He’s a journeyman & that’s fine, but he’s hasn’t been the Super Star that he & the Bluejay faithful assumed he would be. 

Be honest and just admit the sour grapes, it would make you look less foolish.  Some players don't translate to the NBA as well as others - it doesn't invalidate their success in college.  Look at the list of POYs in the last 20 years:

2022 Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky
2021 Luka Garza Iowa
2020 Obi Toppin Dayton
2019 Zion Williamson Duke
2018 Jalen Brunson Villanova
2017 Frank Mason III Kansas
2016 Buddy Hield Oklahoma
2015 Frank Kaminsky III Wisconsin
2014 Doug McDermott Creighton
2013 Trey Burke Michigan
2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
2011 Jimmer Fredette BYU
2010 Evan Turner Ohio State
2009 Blake Griffin Oklahoma
2008 Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina
2007 Kevin Durant Texas
2006 J.J. Redick Duke
2005 Andrew Bogut Utah
2004 Jameer Nelson Saint Joseph's
2003 T.J. Ford Texas
2002 Jay Williams Duke

Durant, AD, and Blake Griffin are probably the only ones you could categorize as "superstars" out of the whole list.  A handful of guys with solid careers as journeymen similar to McDermott.  And a handful of guys doing far less.  What have Kaminsky, Jimmer, or Frank Mason really done?  Zion can't get his his fat ass healthy and off the bench.  While it's early for Garza, he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. 

You can go back even further - Christian Laettner might be the best (or at least most decorated) player in CBB history.  Had a very average career bouncing around from team to team.  Just because most of these guys haven't had the NBA career that YOU expected doesn't mean they weren't all outstanding players in college.  

McDermott also had the albatross of being coached by Hoiberg around his neck for a few years.  I'm sure that set his development back.

2 hours ago, jayschool said:

I just assume anybody who doesn't want to play for us is a front-running pussy who doesn't think enough of himself to take a chance that everything might not be perfect.

NEXT!

This is the longest it has ever taken me to decide which button to hit.  I went with up arrow but wish I could hit multiple.

2 hours ago, Omaha415 said:

Be honest and just admit the sour grapes, it would make you look less foolish.  Some players don't translate to the NBA as well as others - it doesn't invalidate their success in college.  Look at the list of POYs in the last 20 years:

2022 Oscar Tshiebwe Kentucky
2021 Luka Garza Iowa
2020 Obi Toppin Dayton
2019 Zion Williamson Duke
2018 Jalen Brunson Villanova
2017 Frank Mason III Kansas
2016 Buddy Hield Oklahoma
2015 Frank Kaminsky III Wisconsin
2014 Doug McDermott Creighton
2013 Trey Burke Michigan
2012 Anthony Davis Kentucky
2011 Jimmer Fredette BYU
2010 Evan Turner Ohio State
2009 Blake Griffin Oklahoma
2008 Tyler Hansbrough North Carolina
2007 Kevin Durant Texas
2006 J.J. Redick Duke
2005 Andrew Bogut Utah
2004 Jameer Nelson Saint Joseph's
2003 T.J. Ford Texas
2002 Jay Williams Duke

Durant, AD, and Blake Griffin are probably the only ones you could categorize as "superstars" out of the whole list.  A handful of guys with solid careers as journeymen similar to McDermott.  And a handful of guys doing far less.  What have Kaminsky, Jimmer, or Frank Mason really done?  Zion can't get his his fat ass healthy and off the bench.  While it's early for Garza, he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. 

You can go back even further - Christian Laettner might be the best (or at least most decorated) player in CBB history.  Had a very average career bouncing around from team to team.  Just because most of these guys haven't had the NBA career that YOU expected doesn't mean they weren't all outstanding players in college.  

McDermott also had the albatross of being coached by Hoiberg around his neck for a few years.  I'm sure that set his development back.

Ask ANY Creighton fan if this is the NBA career they envisioned for Dougie Buckets and see what they say…