Baylor Scheierman

bkamler

11 minutes ago, nustudent said:

It's hard to feel 'good' about our chances considering some of the others on this list.  But I think we are a bigger player than most think we are.   Several didn't think we'd get Griesel either with some of the schools reaching out to him.  Yes, Baylor is a notch above him...but I think there's some value to what we offer.

agree completely.  There are things we can offer that others cannot.  The hard part is Kansas being fairly close to family and him being a Kansas fan growing up.  That potentially takes some of the close by advantage we have.  

25 minutes ago, royalfan said:

I have direct messaged him twice on Twitter. Once when his career ended at Aurora and once this year after they won Summit League tourney with compliments on how well he developed his game and makes the right read.  

Always a thank you sir response.  I think best to not jump into his dm in this spot but holy smokes do I want to see him in a Husker uniform.  As a much less prolific Aurora Qb and point guard it would be so awesome.  

royalfan, if Aurora Cooperative would just pitch in several hundred thousand, you'd have your wish.  Pull some of those strings you have.  🙂

27 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

royalfan, if Aurora Cooperative would just pitch in several hundred thousand, you'd have your wish.  Pull some of those strings you have.  🙂

If only my dad still ran it we might be on to something.  They do great things supporting things so not such a bad idea.  

side note.  Hope your son is doing well.  

Edited by royalfan

21 hours ago, HB said:

What does "like him" mean?  White guy from a rural area?  I don't think we've struck out on guys "like him", because he's way better than those guys, and was coming out of high school.    And every guy we signed in the meantime from somewhere else needed development.   And didn't look anything special" early on, if ever.  I would have been fine not taking most of the stiffs we brought in the past several years out of high school than this guy.  

Meaning taking local players who had a lot of potential and that other programs in similar conferences weren't interested in. Brady Heiman. Arop. Let's be real. He went to South Dakota State. We missed on him, but so did everybody else. Just like Grisel, he needed to go to a lower D1 school to develop. Who knows if he would have developed into the player he is now here at Nebraska. 

10 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

Meaning taking local players who had a lot of potential and that other programs in similar conferences weren't interested in. Brady Heiman. Arop. Let's be real. He went to South Dakota State. We missed on him, but so did everybody else. Just like Grisel, he needed to go to a lower D1 school to develop. Who knows if he would have developed into the player he is now here at Nebraska. 

Yeah. Hard for me to dump on Miles too much for missing on him. There's a D1 team in Omaha that have been pretty damn good talent evaluators - and they weren't sniffing around Baylor either. This is not nearly as egregious as people have made it out to be. 

44 minutes ago, TheGov21 said:

My point is most of the guys we have taken from other states needed to develop also, and haven't been able to cut it here.   So in hindsight they needed to go to a lower D1 school to develop also.   Or stay.  Point is, we and other schools are too harsh or skeptical about in-state recruits, and not skeptical enough with recruits from other areas.   

33 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Yeah. Hard for me to dump on Miles too much for missing on him. There's a D1 team in Omaha that have been pretty damn good talent evaluators - and they weren't sniffing around Baylor either. This is not nearly as egregious as people have made it out to be. 

With a whole bunch of in-state players doing OK for other schools, and who look better than many of the stiffs we have thrown out there to finish last 3 years in a row, it could just be a pattern.  

23 hours ago, HB said:

And every guy we signed in the meantime from somewhere else needed development.   And didn't look anything special" early on, if ever.  I would have been fine not taking most of the stiffs we brought in the past several years out of high school than this guy.  

I always take an opportunity to quote someone stating my thesis for the past 15 years. 

I 99% agree with HB's point.  But there is a certain amount of selfishness with the local kids as well.  Will a Baylor, Sam or a Mike Daum come to Nebraska and be patient enough to sit and develop when they can go to one of the plethora of Dakota schools and pretty much start from the get go and develop there?  When they get to that higher level they then can transfer to a larger school and play immediately. 

The Menke kid from Beatrice was a ballyhooed class B player and spent years here without developing or playing.  Charlie Easley came here  and sat, transferred up north and started immediately. But you cannot really compare Baylor to either of those two...right?

The frustration is that we have lost a lot of high quality players over the past five years or so.  When, or can we secure our home state talent?  I guess establishing a winning identity and ideology would help.

17 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

By the way...when Baylor was a senior and went north, who was in our recruiting class?  Same with Sam...and Daum???

Baylor's 2019 class was the class where we replaced basically the entire team in Hoiberg's first year. 

Griesel's 2018 class was Karrington Davis, Amir Harris, and Brady Heiman. A real winner of a class. 

Daum's 2014 class was Jacob Hammond, Tarin Smith, Moses Ayegba, Andrew White III (sat out that year though). Another real winner of a class. Although I loved Moses. 

Our 2019 recruits were Ivan, Arop, Samari Curtis, Jervay Green, Cam Mack and Kevin Cross.

I looked up the team up north, they only had 2 recruits that year: Shereef Mitchell and some guy who must have transferred.

I've made this point a number of times, but "ad nauseum" is my middle name. You have to put in the work to recruit local kids, you can't just show up after they start getting attention. The Omaha kids all know the staff at the local school and have a lot of contact before they suddenly get star ratings. You could overlook our lack of commitment in this state If we didn't swing and miss so often with out of state kids.

The whole “we should have done this because that didn’t work” argument is one I don’t understand. I don’t judge things by results only.  If a kids only offer us a Summit League school, and there were questions on how his foot speed will hold up, I want us going another direction.  That doesn’t change just because that other direction didn’t work out.  To be good, going another direction is the logical play.  That direction just needs to hit more consistently. 

You don’t solve a problem by making worse decisions than before.  

2 minutes ago, royalfan said:

The whole “we should have done this because that didn’t work” argument is one I don’t understand. I don’t judge things by results only.  If a kids only offer us a Summit League school, and there were questions on how his foot speed will hold up, I want us going another direction.  That doesn’t change just because that other direction didn’t work out.  To be good, going another direction is the logical play.  That direction just needs to hit more consistently. 

You don’t solve a problem by making worse decisions than before.  

You don't solve this by only going one direction. 

5 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

You don't solve this by only going one direction. 

Doesn’t have much to do with what you quoted but would generally agree.  There are some very successful coaches that use similar recruiting patterns over and over again though. Do what works if my philosophy.  

2 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Daum's 2014 class was Jacob Hammond, Tarin Smith, Moses Ayegba, Andrew White III (sat out that year though). Another real winner of a class. Although I loved Moses. 

Not sure I would rag on the '14 class too much. AWIII made a pit stop in the NBA, Moses was solid for us, and Tarin Smith was a key cog for Duquesne before transferring (again) to UConn and playing decent for the Huskies.  Hammond was a bust, but 3/4 of those guys were solid D1 players and one went to the league.  That seems like the sort of class that you want to have every year, rather than poo poo on.

7 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Not sure I would rag on the '14 class too much. AWIII made a pit stop in the NBA, Moses was solid for us, and Tarin Smith was a key cog for Duquesne before transferring (again) to UConn and playing decent for the Huskies.  Hammond was a bust, but 3/4 of those guys were solid D1 players and one went to the league.  That seems like the sort of class that you want to have every year, rather than poo poo on.

Not trying to get into a heated one today, but you're kinda making my/our point. They weren't solid here, ha. Which is a part of what we're saying. No connection to the program or state, gone at the first sign of trouble or better option. Of course, no guarantee in-state kids stay either. I know that. 

Just to limit some revisionist history, in 2019 Mike Sautter had Baylor as the 4th best prospect in the class behind Akol Arop, Shiloh Robinson, and Javen Udofia. I really don't think that not offering him then was as big of a miss as some people think.

FWIW, rounding out the Top Ten was Charlie Easley, Brady Danielson, Wes Dreamer, Jaylin Hunter, Nico Felici, and Bret Porter. Ended up getting 3 of the top 10 on the roster. 

https://omaha.com/sports/high-school/recruiting/photos-class-of-2019-nebhsrecruiting-basketball-rankings/collection_6c2e35d4-9988-11e7-80de-ef190046d1e0.html