Baylor Scheierman

bkamler

9 hours ago, huskerbill85 said:

Would Fred be the first coach to win 10 games or less a season sending a player to the NBA 3 years in a row?

Not quite the same level, but in the last 10 years, Washington's made the NIT 3 times and the NCAA 1 time while also having 10 players get drafted.

10 hours ago, HB said:

Everyone around the state knew of this guy.  Too many times we overlook Nebraska guys and end up with stiffs from somewhere else. That’s starting to change, thankfully, with Trev’s influence.   You’re seeing more offers to Nebraska kids in football, and men’s and  women’s basketball.   Should help the culture.  

I was fine with Nebraska not taking him out of high school. Like what previously said, Nebraska struck out with guys like him from the state. Then when Nebraska did play SDSU last year, we crushed them and Baylor didn't look anything special. Glad he developed. He needed to go to a place like SDSU to get that development. Now he can cash that in to a bigger school. Hope it's Nebraska but it's likely at a blue blood. And do you blame him?

46 minutes ago, Shawn Eichorst's Toupee said:

Not quite the same level, but in the last 10 years, Washington's made the NIT 3 times and the NCAA 1 time while also having 10 players get drafted.

Yeah, Washington may be a more head-scratching hoops program than the Huskers even.  Everything is set up for success for them there.  Great recruiting/development, good coaching, and a pathetic conference schedule.  Yet they still can only manage mediocre at best.

8 hours ago, TheGov21 said:

I was fine with Nebraska not taking him out of high school. Like what previously said, Nebraska struck out with guys like him from the state. Then when Nebraska did play SDSU last year, we crushed them and Baylor didn't look anything special. Glad he developed. He needed to go to a place like SDSU to get that development. Now he can cash that in to a bigger school. Hope it's Nebraska but it's likely at a blue blood. And do you blame him?

What does "like him" mean?  White guy from a rural area?  I don't think we've struck out on guys "like him", because he's way better than those guys, and was coming out of high school.    And every guy we signed in the meantime from somewhere else needed development.   And didn't look anything special" early on, if ever.  I would have been fine not taking most of the stiffs we brought in the past several years out of high school than this guy.  

Edited by HB

1 minute ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sooooo his scholarship would from either Lat or Trey not returning, right? 

We are already one over the limit.  So if we add another player, that would require 2 subtractions. Currently the speculation is Trey and Lat.  But, there is zero confirmation that it is either.

We are already one over the limit.  So if we add another player, that would require 2 subtractions. Currently the speculation is Trey and Lat.  But, there is zero confirmation that it is either.

The divorce isn’t finalized but the parties are definitely separated at this time.

Time for Fred to step up and get Scheierman.  Go up against the big boys and get a win.   Couldn't do it with Sallis, Hepburn, or Traudt.  Did a helluva job getting Bryce, and developing him while he was here.    But Baylor could make a huge difference with the whole program and save a precarious situation.   Win some games, win some in-state recruiting cred after getting Sam and Baylor.    For Baylor, leave a legacy on program  improvement.  For Fred, be the damn Mayor.   Make this happen. 

At this point, if we end up over the limit, we just supplement the player with NIL money and let him "walk on". Need to be creative, and I can be very creative when spending other peoples' money. 😁

Could be a case where we told super seniors like Lat & Trey that if we have a scholarship available, they can have it, otherwise they have to pay their own way if they come back. Wouldn't be the first program to do that in this post-covid super-senior era.

I mean of COURSE he's going to tell Robin Washut that...

But C'mon...let's be real here, a chance to go play for the defending champs and hall of fame coach (plus, your favorite team growing up) on a team that is looking to have a decent number of open spots to fill?

Or a choice of two other of the 4 biggest names in college hoops?  Yeah I mean I suppose Nebraska as an option is "real".  But it's really not now is it?

But C'mon...let's be real here, a chance to go play for the defending champs and hall of fame coach (plus, your favorite team growing up) on a team that is looking to have a decent number of open spots to fill?

Or a choice of two other of the 4 biggest names in college hoops?  Yeah I mean I suppose Nebraska as an option is "real".  But it's really not now is it?

If the NIL money is right, the possibilities are endless.

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Have you confirmed that information?   As I have heard that is not true about one of them...just saying nothing is certain until it is.

Let's say the following three things happen

- Mayen and/or McGowens want to play another year

- Scheierman picks Nebraska

- No other scholarship players leave

We could essentially cut Mayen and/or McGowens and they would have to find another school. If it's a business, it's a business. 

59 minutes ago, 49r said:

The quotes below may be a little telling. If anything they say Baylor was a fan of the program growing up and sounds like he still is.

“I grew up always watching their games whenever I could, and I remember the years where we were competitive - the Terran Petteway and Shavon Shields years,” Scheierman said. “Just the energy around the state when that was going on, it was special…

“I’d say that’s definitely a factor. Being from Nebraska and being able to come home and have the opportunity to play in front of my family and friends on a nightly basis would be fun. Honestly, I think if we get the right guys together who know how to play the right way, there’s no reason why Nebraska can’t change the narrative around their program.”

1 hour ago, 49r said:

He very well might end up somewhere else but it's legit real.  

It's hard to feel 'good' about our chances considering some of the others on this list.  But I think we are a bigger player than most think we are.   Several didn't think we'd get Griesel either with some of the schools reaching out to him.  Yes, Baylor is a notch above him...but I think there's some value to what we offer.

1 hour ago, hhcmatt said:

Let's say the following three things happen

- Mayen and/or McGowens want to play another year

- Scheierman picks Nebraska

- No other scholarship players leave

We could essentially cut Mayen and/or McGowens and they would have to find another school. If it's a business, it's a business. 

Or run one of the young guys.  Say we gotta win now.  

3 minutes ago, nustudent said:

It's hard to feel 'good' about our chances considering some of the others on this list.  But I think we are a bigger player than most think we are.   Several didn't think we'd get Griesel either with some of the schools reaching out to him.  Yes, Baylor is a notch above him...but I think there's some value to what we offer.

I have direct messaged him twice on Twitter. Once when his career ended at Aurora and once this year after they won Summit League tourney with compliments on how well he developed his game and makes the right read.  

Always a thank you sir response.  I think best to not jump into his dm in this spot but holy smokes do I want to see him in a Husker uniform.  As a much less prolific Aurora Qb and point guard it would be so awesome.