Juwan Gary is N

hhcmatt

5 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

Saying a player is known for their Defensive/Driving ability & “energy” is a polite way of saying they can’t shoot…

Well 95% of our roster the last three years couldn’t shoot… but also didn’t play defense. And couldn’t drive to the rim under control and finish. So this is an improvement in 2 out of your 3 criteria. 

9 hours ago, Vinny said:

It’s the offseason, so he can only talk. And this is his introduction to us Nebraska fans. I personally like the confidence. Making the NCAA tournament is certainly a team accomplishment he mentions. No need for us to project our collective frustration with our lack of success onto a young man who just committed to try and bring us success.

Welcome to Nebraska, Juwan!

Yes it is the offseason; but talking isn't the only thing he can do.  What he and all players can do, is work on their games...polish their strengths improve upon their weaknesses and then let their actions on the court do their talking.  

I guess that is what may separate generations.  Confidence can be displayed in many ways; but when it is simply verbalized, then perception is in the eye of the beholder.

Everyone wants to talk about the quotes where he refers to himself in the third person and sounds super arrogant. 

No one seems to want to talk about the quotes where he says he doesn't care if he scores 40 points or 0 points - he's out there to guard, rebound, and be an absolute dawg. 

I think some of you know what this team/program has been missing - but then are afraid of what that person actually looks like/how it manifests itself. 

3 hours ago, millerhusker said:

Well 95% of our roster the last three years couldn’t shoot… but also didn’t play defense. And couldn’t drive to the rim under control and finish. So this is an improvement in 2 out of your 3 criteria. 

Exactly. 95% of our roster isn't happy unless they have the ball either. This guy doesn't seem to care. 

I've questioned his fit in Fred's system plenty over on the recruiting thread.  My hesitancy is well documented.  Since he's officially signed I am now trying to pump some kool-aid into my veins, so I'll say my hope is that he'll be our Dennis Rodman.  Similar measurements, abilities, and attitude.  The one guy that other teams (and their fans) absolutely hate but his own fans love.  Arrogant and narcissistic and probably good for drawing a technical foul from the other team once every few games.

Also, I've got a former coworker from Alabama who moved back home a while back.  I texted him to get his take on Juwan and this was his response:

"Gary is a good pickup.  He is not a game changer but he does all the hustle, grind work.  He reminds me of Herb Jones that plays for the Pelicans now.  Glue guy that will help the team win."

32 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

Everyone wants to talk about the quotes where he refers to himself in the third person and sounds super arrogant. 

No one seems to want to talk about the quotes where he says he doesn't care if he scores 40 points or 0 points - he's out there to guard, rebound, and be an absolute dawg. 

I think some of you know what this team/program has been missing - but then are afraid of what that person actually looks like/how it manifests itself. 

This team/program has been missing a lot of things, but primarily it has been missing players that are BOTH athletic and skilled.  Not just one or the other.  We have players that are skilled but not athletic enough to hang in the B1G, and we have some athletes that are not skilled enough to be difference makers in the B1G.  At some point, we need to get players that are BOTH athletic and skilled.  It's that simple. 

I agree that Juwan will probably be a contributor, maybe a starter, and will be a solid "role" player.  But he appears to be yet another addition that is a one-dimensional player.  Do we need a "dog" on this team?  Absolutely.  But if Trey doesn't return, then it is a wash at best.  Based on what little I have seen/read about Juwan, I would probably rather have Trey than Juwan.  Trey is a "dog" and he can at least occasionally hit the outside 3 and drive, etc.  

Right now, we don't need more role players.  What we need is a player like Reeves who is athletic and can come in and immediately shoot and get buckets, be a difference maker.  Sure, we have stiff competition with teams like Kentucky, etc, recruiting Reeves.  But at some point, we need to start getting guys like Reeves if we want to compete for the top half of the B1G.  Everyone expects Fred to win at least half his games in the B1G.  Is he supposed to do that with significantly inferior talent?  With a bunch of one-dimensional players while everyone else has players that are athletic and skilled?  I really like the incoming class with Lloyd, Lawrence and Keita, that is a big reason I wanted Fred to return.  Fred (and Matt A) beat out some serious blue bloods to get Lloyd.  But he will just be a freshman.  Was really hoping to land a big-time transfer to compliment that class and be able to come in and really make a difference this year.  Because if he doesn't, even if Lloyd, Lawrence, Wilhelm, Keita show a lot of "potential", that probably isn't going to be enough for most on this board, you all expect Fred to get it done this year or bust. 

5 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

This team/program has been missing a lot of things, but primarily it has been missing players that are BOTH athletic and skilled.  Not just one or the other.  We have players that are skilled but not athletic enough to hang in the B1G, and we have some athletes that are not skilled enough to be difference makers in the B1G.  At some point, we need to get players that are BOTH athletic and skilled.  It's that simple. 

I agree that Juwan will probably be a contributor, maybe a starter, and will be a solid "role" player.  But he appears to be yet another addition that is a one-dimensional player.  Do we need a "dog" on this team?  Absolutely.  But if Trey doesn't return, then it is a wash at best.  Based on what little I have seen/read about Juwan, I would probably rather have Trey than Juwan.  Trey is a "dog" and he can at least occasionally hit the outside 3 and drive, etc.  

Right now, we don't need more role players.  What we need is a player like Reeves who is athletic and can come in and immediately shoot and get buckets, be a difference maker.  Sure, we have stiff competition with teams like Kentucky, etc, recruiting Reeves.  But at some point, we need to start getting guys like Reeves if we want to compete for the top half of the B1G.  Everyone expects Fred to win at least half his games in the B1G.  Is he supposed to do that with significantly inferior talent?  With a bunch of one-dimensional players while everyone else has players that are athletic and skilled?  I really like the incoming class with Lloyd, Lawrence and Keita, that is a big reason I wanted Fred to return.  Fred (and Matt A) beat out some serious blue bloods to get Lloyd.  But he will just be a freshman.  Was really hoping to land a big-time transfer to compliment that class and be able to come in and really make a difference this year.  Because if he doesn't, even if Lloyd, Lawrence, Wilhelm, Keita show a lot of "potential", that probably isn't going to be enough for most on this board, you all expect Fred to get it done this year or bust. 

we can live with one-dimensional. 

The problem is....we've been trotting out too many zero-dimensional players.  Guys like Lat, Edwards, Tominaga and at times Andre didn't offer anything of note.  They shot a low percentage, didn't defend, didn't handle, didn't rebound.   We've been missing role players who could actually play their role well.   A guy like this who is actually good/effective at that one-dimension are exactly what we've been missing.

Edited by nustudent

1 hour ago, basketballjones said:

I may not care so much about the quotes themselves, but I do know this team isn't going to the NCAA tournament despite them. This roster at the moment is .500 maximum. They need Reeves and/or a true PG badly. 

1 minute ago, nustudent said:

The problem is....we've been trotting out too many zero-dimensional players.  Guys like Lat and Tominaga for example didn't offer anything of note.  They shot a low percentage, didn't defend, didn't handle, didn't rebound.   We've been missing role players who could actually play their role well.   A guy like this who is actually good/effective at that one-dimension are exactly what we've been missing.

So if we have just been missing "role players" like Juwan, now that have Juwan, who are our "difference makers" ?

Or are you suggesting we can win in the B1G with a team full of just role players?

4 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

So if we have just been missing "role players" like Juwan, now that have Juwan, who are our "difference makers" ?

Or are you suggesting we can win in the B1G with a team full of just role players?

I think the difference maker question is valid and we're still searching for that.  I don't know if you want to consider him a difference maker...but I think Walker can be a 12 and 8 guy.  I think Griesel can be a 12ppg guy.  

And what are we talking about as a definition of win?   Is it 23 wins or 18?

Difference makers are nice...but what is better....a team of guys who are rated 5-8 on a 10-point scale or a team where you have 2 9's and 8 2's.

We still need to find/develop another scorer....but we're seemingly removing the empty minutes that we consistently got out of a huge chunk of our lineup.

Please note, I personally am not disappointed with this addition.   If he turns out to be our glue player that can turn close games into wins, I will be downright giddy.

What I am shying away from is the hyperbole that has then been followed by subpar performance.  

We have (what appears to be) a good class coming in.  But the newcomers haven't done diddly squat for us YET.  I look forward to this coming year, but don't tell us how great thou art...show us -please!

30 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I think the difference maker question is valid and we're still searching for that.  I don't know if you want to consider him a difference maker...but I think Walker can be a 12 and 8 guy.  I think Griesel can be a 12ppg guy.  

And what are we talking about as a definition of win?   Is it 23 wins or 18?

Difference makers are nice...but what is better....a team of guys who are rated 5-8 on a 10-point scale or a team where you have 2 9's and 8 2's.

We still need to find/develop another scorer....but we're seemingly removing the empty minutes that we consistently got out of a huge chunk of our lineup.

I get what you are saying.  I like the Griesel pick up.  He is not a difference maker, but a solid all-around player--can shoot a bit can handle a bit, can rebound a bit, defend a bit, etc.  But the hope was he would be the "role player" transfer and the next transfer would be the "difference maker".  We probably differ here, but I see Walker as a solid "role" player, but not close to a difference maker. 

Last year we had a decent offense but struggled to defend and rebound.  But let's not forget 2 seasons ago, when we had a decent defense (top 40 efficiency) but couldn't score to save our lives.  On that team, we had some athletes who couldn't shoot a lick.  Shamiel was an explosive strong athlete but couldn't shoot a lick.  Delano Banton was 6'8" with mile-long arms, a great athletic, a great rebounder, and could handle the rock.  Yet, but the end of the season he was coming off the bench because he couldn't shoot and stifled the offense.  Would you rather have Banton (who is currently on an NBA roster) or Juwan?  If a guy like Banton couldn't get us more than a couple wins in the B1G, how is Juwan going to make a difference?

My point is not to bag on Juwan, I believe he will give great effort and hopefully be a true energy player.  But that just isn't enough IMO.  Plus, we already have three other players who are 6'6" in Griesel, Lloyd and Dawson.  I realize they play different positions, but I am not convinced a 6'6" athlete who can't shoot is the answer to our desperate need for a stretch PF who can open up the floor for the other players to drive, etc. 

Edited by NUdiehard

12 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

I get what you are saying.  I like the Griesel pick up.  He is not a difference maker, but a solid all-around player--can shoot a bit can handle a bit, can rebound a bit, defend a bit, etc.  But the hope was he would be the "role player" transfer and the next transfer would be the "difference maker".  We probably differ here, but I see Walker as a solid "role" player, but not close to a difference maker. 

Last year we had a decent offense but struggled to defend and rebound.  But let's not forget 2 seasons ago, when we had a decent defense (top 40 efficiency) but couldn't score to save our lives.  On that team, we had some athletes who couldn't shoot a lick.  Delano Banton was 6'8" with mile-long arms, a great athletic, a great rebounder, and could handle the rock.  Yet, but the end of the season he was coming off the bench because he couldn't shoot and stifled the offense.  Would you rather have Banton (who is currently on an NBA roster) or Juwan?  If a guy like Banton couldn't get us more than a couple wins in the B1G, how is Juwan going to make a difference?

My point is not to bag on Juwan, I believe he will give great effort and hopefully be a true energy player.  But that just isn't enough IMO.  Plus, we already have three other players who are 6'6" in Griesel, Lloyd and Dawson.  I realize they play different positions, but I am not convinced a 6'6" athlete who can't shoot is the answer to our desperate need for a stretch PF who can open up the floor for the other players to drive, etc. 

McGowans is going to be a first round pick and going to have a long NBA career and he couldn't generate more than a few win.  The NBA comparison is futile because it is an entirely different game.  

Gray and Banton are different players and play different positions.  Again...it's a futile comparison.

Even if all Griesell, Gray and Walker end up being are solid 'role' players....the sum of all parts is still likely to be higher.   There were times were we were playing Edwards, Tominaga and Lat in our top 6.   We might not have the Verge and Bryce out there....but we aren't going to have 3 players as bad as those 3 were in our top 6.  

Gray isn't a superstar.  But he gives us a player that brings something we lack, he gives us another option at the 4 with Wilhelm.  He gives us a player that is actually good at his role.   There's value in that.  We've seen what happens the last 3 years when we haven't had those things

Edited by nustudent

26 minutes ago, NUdiehard said:

It's odd that you keep bringing up our guard's heights as some sort of reason to wonder about Gary as if a wing like Gary offensively would somehow fit better if ball handlers like Griesel and Lloyd were only 6'2".   

42 minutes ago, Huskerpapa said:

Please note, I personally am not disappointed with this addition.   If he turns out to be our glue player that can turn close games into wins, I will be downright giddy.

What I am shying away from is the hyperbole that has then been followed by subpar performance.  

We have (what appears to be) a good class coming in.  But the newcomers haven't done diddly squat for us YET.  I look forward to this coming year, but don't tell us how great thou art...show us -please!

Spot on! I'll cheer them on once the season starts...but until they are in Husker Uniform and it goes beyone telling us what they did last season and prior or telling us that "They had an amazing practice and made 14 out of 9 shots from the 3 point line", it's all words. Win games for Nebraska and then I'll get excited. If you choose to drink the kool-aid and preach about how great they are...that's your choice,  but if they don't produce then be willing to eat some crow.  I'll be prepared to do the same if they live up to the hype. I'll be in the stands chearing them on as much as everyone else here, but until they have on the husker gear and are in a game situation they are about as importat and the guy that just walked by my office window outside. 

1 hour ago, nustudent said:

The problem is....we've been trotting out too many zero-dimensional players.  Guys like Lat, Edwards, Tominaga and at times Andre didn't offer anything of note.  They shot a low percentage, didn't defend, didn't handle, didn't rebound.   We've been missing role players who could actually play their role well.   A guy like this who is actually good/effective at that one-dimension are exactly what we've been missing.

This absolutely!! We need the right kind of role players. Ones who can actually fulfill their roles. 

4 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

It's odd that you keep bringing up our guard's heights as some sort of reason to wonder about Gary as if a wing like Gary offensively would somehow fit better if ball handlers like Griesel and Lloyd were only 6'2".   

I have dreamed for years of rolling out an all 6'7" lineup.  We got close once during the Miles era.

I don't know if Gary or Griesel will increase our win total but have to say that the recruiting pulls have been impressive thus far.

We're almost completely flipping our starting roster so bringing in two reliable guys who performed at high levels from winning teams is a big deal because we currently have a roster with 6 guys who've yet to log a minute in D-1. 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

I may not care so much about the quotes themselves, but I do know this team isn't going to the NCAA tournament despite them. This roster at the moment is .500 maximum. They need Reeves and/or a true PG badly. 

We don't know that. If the get the right fights and chemistry, they could very well exceed the outside expectations. They sure seem to be filling the needs we've been harping on for a while pretty nicely. Remains to be seen how that impacts the W/L totals.

4 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Yes it is the offseason; but talking isn't the only thing he can do.  What he and all players can do, is work on their games...polish their strengths improve upon their weaknesses and then let their actions on the court do their talking.  

I guess that is what may separate generations.  Confidence can be displayed in many ways; but when it is simply verbalized, then perception is in the eye of the beholder.

He hasn’t had a chance to do anything but verbalize it. Just because he said that doesn’t mean he’s not in the gym. I just have zero understanding of what your expectations for this kid are having been a commit for less than 24 hours.

42 minutes ago, Vinny said:

He hasn’t had a chance to do anything but verbalize it. Just because he said that doesn’t mean he’s not in the gym. I just have zero understanding of what your expectations for this kid are having been a commit for less than 24 hours.

Same as I have always wanted.  I haven't missed a home game since 1984 and have attended since 1974. I cheered at the Coliseum, Devaney and PBA.  I am alive with every win, cried like a baby after beating teams like KU and Wisconsin and die a little with every disappointment.  

I want to win.  I want players who prove it on the court.  

I have the same expectation for this kid as all the kids.  

We have a lot of coaches who didn't allow players to talk until they played.  So there is a bit of crumogeon attitude in my head.  I want to see you perform...then you can talk.  I know that is naive, but there is an answer to your question. 

1 hour ago, Huskerpapa said:

Same as I have always wanted.  I haven't missed a home game since 1984 and have attended since 1974. I cheered at the Coliseum, Devaney and PBA.  I am alive with every win, cried like a baby after beating teams like KU and Wisconsin and die a little with every disappointment.  

I want to win.  I want players who prove it on the court.  

I have the same expectation for this kid as all the kids.  

We have a lot of coaches who didn't allow players to talk until they played.  So there is a bit of crumogeon attitude in my head.  I want to see you perform...then you can talk.  I know that is naive, but there is an answer to your question. 

"I want to see you perform...in a Husker Uniform...then you can talk."

Fred Hoiberg:

"Juwan adds a different dimension to our roster with his combination of athleticism and versatility," Hoiberg said. "He plays with physicality and can be used all over the floor.  Juwan also has the experience of playing in two NCAA Tournaments and winning an SEC title in 2021, which gives him the understanding of what it takes to be successful at the highest level."

12 hours ago, millerhusker said:

That’s a gross exaggeration, but I get your point. What I’m tired of is all the BIG talk followed up by nothing. Who will ever forget Frost’s initial Presser when he told the B1G, you better “Get Us Now” while you can…