Juwan Gary is N

hhcmatt

Alabama transfer Juwan Gary announced via his instagram that he has committed to play for Nebraska.  Gary was a sophomore this season and the 6'6" 218# forward will have two years of eligibility left.

Gary projects to be a 3 or 4 with the Huskers and is known for his defensive ability, driving ability, and energy.  A history of injuries have slowed down Gary, but he started 19 games for Alabama despite an ankle injury and a facial injury which caused him to wear a protective mask. Originally a 2019 HS graduate, Gary spent his first year redshirting due to a torn ACL.

Fred Hoiberg on the addition of Juwan Gary:  "Juwan adds a different dimension to our roster with his combination of athleticism and versatility. He plays with physicality and can be used all over the floor.  Juwan also has the experience of playing in two NCAA Tournaments and winning an SEC title in 2021, which gives him the understanding of what it takes to be successful at the highest level."

Gary is from Colombia, South Carolina where he was a 4 star recruit coming out of high school.

View full article

10 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

For everyone that seem to want to question this kid and his headspace, I'll bring some receipts courtesy of bama fans, and you guys tell me if this isn't exactly want we want. 

It's what we want...but I think a lot of us are tired of hearing how amazing these guys are and what they are going to do ..and then they put on a Husker uniform and suddenly all that talent vanishes.  We just want to actually see the proof on the court as a Husker. The team we just saw was hyped up so much by players and coaches and hell some on here.  They didn't live up to it. 

6 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

It's what we want...but I think a lot of us are tired of hearing how amazing these guys are and what they are going to do ..and then they put on a Husker uniform and suddenly all that talent vanishes.  We just want to actually see the proof on the court as a Husker. The team we just saw was hyped up so much by players and coaches and hell some on here.  They didn't live up to it. 

I agree...but let's take that same philosophy and pump the breaks on assuming he's not a team player based on one quote - especially when 60 games at Bama say quite the opposite.  

1 minute ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I agree...but let's take that same philosophy and pump the breaks on assuming he's not a team player based on one quote - especially when 60 games at Bama say quite the opposite.  

And let's just say, Nate Oats (even prior administration) and Alabama have turned that hoops program around more than we could ever say in quite some time.

Hoping for the best, expecting the worse. Can't wait!

35 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Thanks, you said it better than I could.  We've grown weary of everyone hyping these guys up and then going out and getting our ass kicked by some sub-200 KenPom team on opening night.  Talk is cheap and we've had a lot of guys come in here during the Hoiberg era talking a lot.  I can't wait to see someone come in here and actually back their words up, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

35 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

In my defense, I didn't say he wasn't a team player.  I said those weren't exactly the words of a team player.  We've seen a lot of guys come in here talking a lot of ish in the last few years just to turn around and take a dump on the floor from day one.  Is it the players?  Is it the coaches?  I don't know, but I'm not going to spend three months tweeting "the Huskers are gonna be good this year" every day just to turn around and see them go 10-22.

I like the mentality of our two portal players so far.  One is a hometown kid who loves the program.  The other is a high energy junk yard dog type.  

I am guessing Walker, Wilcher and Lloyd will round out the starting lineup assuming Trey is gone.  Keita and Breidenbach backing up the paint.  Quaran backup PG.  a couple freshman and Tominaga competing for the backup wing minutes.

i think the ingredients are there…not just athletically but I don’t see what I would consider a questionable attitude player in this group.  That’s big.  Now it’s up to Fred to make something happen. 

3 hours ago, Huskerpapa said:

Okay then...time to go onto the court and prove your talent.

Just to refresh...I personally want a player, not a talker.  I will love him if he busts his butt on the floor and HELPS us produce wins.

It’s the offseason, so he can only talk. And this is his introduction to us Nebraska fans. I personally like the confidence. Making the NCAA tournament is certainly a team accomplishment he mentions. No need for us to project our collective frustration with our lack of success onto a young man who just committed to try and bring us success.

Welcome to Nebraska, Juwan!

5 hours ago, 49r said:

All you have to do is remind yourself that Fred Hoiberg will be his coach.  That should be enough to keep your Kool Aid on the shelf.

Fair BUT I have no doubts Griesel is going to be a dog out there and if this kid can shoot it with Mayen hopefully being gone those are significant upgrades. Don't get me wrong I have the bar set low. 13-14 wins I will consider a good season.