Juwan Gary - Transfer N

Was a part time starter on a team that went to the Elite 8. Last year, got significant playing time on a team that also went to the Elite 8.  Shoots 50%+ from the field and doesn't turn the ball over, so he seems to know his role. Apparently has a reputation of being a rugged, tough defender. Built like an outside linebacker. He and Griesel would certainly help turn around our recent culture of being mentally and physically soft. 

Edit: I thought he played for Arkansas. Did not go to two straight elite 8’s. Too many bourbons today. 

Edited by millerhusker

17 hours ago, basketballjones said:

9/41 from 3pt, 61% from ft…. Put this guy straight into my Nebrasketball veins. 

Ughh, between that J.G. statistical hodgepodge presented by Jonesy to the recent Gray twitter-box N.I.L. commentary, what is this world coming to.... tweet whatever ya want, I suppose; but, please, for the love of all that's holy....make *AT LEAST* 33.3% from the land of plenty, and, if you practice a bit more, I'd be willing to accept around 70-75% from the line. Is that too much to ask?!? 🤔

Edited by AuroranHusker

1 hour ago, AuroranHusker said:

Ughh, between that J.G. statistical hodgepodge presented by Jonesy to the recent Gray twitter-box N.I.L. commentary, what is this world coming to.... tweet whatever ya want, I suppose; but, please, for the love of all that's holy....make *AT LEAST* 33.3% from the land of plenty, and, if you practice a bit more, I'd be willing to accept around 70-75% from the line. Is that too much to ask?!? 🤔

Literally tweet whatever you want if you can be in the 45/38/80 club

11 minutes ago, 49r said:

Would be nice, but remember this is a meme lord we're talking about.  I'll get excited when the ink is dry...  😁

It looks like a good sign, but I don't know what is good or bad anymore when it comes to social media posts.  I don't trust anything anymore until they are on campus, registered for class and playing in the first game. 

Probably shouldn't say this, but I wish he were as big a deal as his social media presence seems to be. I mean he averaged 6.5 ppg with 22% on 3s and more turnovers than assists. He's transferring because Alabama's bringing in 2 5-stars and 2-stars. Doesn't exactly seem like a guy who would improve our team chemistry.

Here's an interesting take on Juwan Gary: an article titled, "Crimson Key to Victory, Keep Juwan Gary on the Court."

And here are quotes from his coach in the article:

"We need to keep [Juwan Gary] in there, . . . when he plays 25 plus minutes we're undefeated, he's a big part to what we're doing, . . . he brings us energy. He almost shot 100% from the field against Baylor, I think he was seven of eight, missed a wide open alley-oop that he never usually misses," said head coach Nate Oats.

"You know, he gets the offensive boards, we need his presence on defense."

Another article says Juwan Gary has a career shooting percentage on two-pointers of .613, which is pretty darn good.

And here's a stat that is presented as really good--but I have no idea what it means: a "career offensive rebound rate of 12.7 percent."

Edited by Swan88

39 minutes ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Probably shouldn't say this, but I wish he were as big a deal as his social media presence seems to be. I mean he averaged 6.5 ppg with 22% on 3s and more turnovers than assists. He's transferring because Alabama's bringing in 2 5-stars and 2-stars. Doesn't exactly seem like a guy who would improve our team chemistry.

He started 16 games for an NCAA team. Put up 15 against Baylor, 19 against Houston, 15 against Davidson, 10 against ND, 19 against Florida. I guess what is he being brought in for? To shoot 3s and distribute? To score and rebound? He's looked the part in games against high level competition...

No idea on the chemistry aspect. 

Once you delve more into him past the lack of playing time and poor outside shooting you find a guy who been an efficient player who has great touch around the rim, rebounds well, and is a rim defender.  If you read up on him you'll find that he got elbowed hard in the face in January which caused him to miss games and left him playing with a mask for the rest of the season which seemed to hurt his production.  I don't know exactly what to expect from Denim Dawson but this seems like what we might expect from Dawson in two years.  Think this guy would function well with the type of defense we plan to play and might be our Trey McGowens defensive replacement.  Could see him starting day 1 if he ends up with us.

6 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Seems like the type of player we needed on this year's roster.  With Zo and Bryce on the court we needed more guys that would bring energy and not require the ball in their hands to make an impact.  Next year though?  IMO finding a play-making ball handler and a clutch scorer are bigger holes.  It feels like the freshmen being brought in, as well as the ones coming off of a redshirt and/or injury season, are more likely to be athletic role players next year rather than go-to scorers.  I think Lloyd can be that guy eventually but probably not in Year 1.  Just not sure where the points are going to come from.