Rutgers (24-6) vs. Nebraska (12-17) Game Thread

Bugeaters1

He had plenty of chances, but just couldn't help himself. Too bad, because he's really talented.

Between injuries, dead arms, and dismissals, NU's pitching this weekend is a complete wreck. If NU somehow wins this series, it will be one of the more impressive things they've done in a while.

1 hour ago, throwback said:

He had plenty of chances, but just couldn't help himself. Too bad, because he's really talented.

Between injuries, dead arms, and dismissals, NU's pitching this weekend is a complete wreck. If NU somehow wins this series, it will be one of the more impressive things they've done in a while.

So what were the plenty of chances he had? the people that don't live in are close to Lincoln don't get to hear the scuttle butt.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Rutgers (23-6) vs. Nebraska (12-16) Game Thread
On 4/8/2022 at 4:54 PM, Bugeaters1 said:

So what were the plenty of chances he had? the people that don't live in are close to Lincoln don't get to hear the scuttle butt.

I don't want to get into too many details, but he's been in the doghouse pretty much since he started school in the fall. Just a bunch of off-field stuff. It was getting better, but something came to a head earlier this week & the coaches had enough.

Short handed on the mound big time, but the pitchers have fought really hard the first two games this weekend. Olsen deserved a way better fate, but this team still doesn't do enough of the little things at the plate or in the field to help the pitchers out. Been a broken record this season, but way too many strikeouts and way too many mistakes in the field. Plus it's pretty tough to win when the two guys you were counting on to carry the offense were 0-for-9 today with multiple Ks and have had rough seasons overall.

By the way, I don't think Chick ran through a stop sign in the 8th, I think Coach Harvell was putting up the stop sign for Everitt at 2nd. Still, Chick didn't read the ball off the bat well - there shouldn't have been a play at the plate if he reads it better and is 2-3 steps ahead of where he was. More little things.

At this point, they need to focus on just trying to get into the B1G tourney and hope that they're healthier on the mound by then and hope that the offense figures it out by then. 

RU is a really solid Big Ten team. They look a lot like NU looked last year. They aren't going to beat themselves. Not sure if they can hold off Maryland in the conference race, but they look like an NCAA team in a serious down year for the B1G.

• Bugeaters1 changed the title to Rutgers (24-6) vs. Nebraska (12-17) Game Thread

That was about the most hard luck inning for a pitcher.  A little 50 hopper couldn't be gloved by Efry.  A pop-up to right misplayed by the right fielder.  A pop-up down the line couldn't be caught by the left fielder, and finally a pop-up to center field misplayed by Chick for a double.

I'm starting to wonder about the Bolt - Childress dynamic. It's gotta be hard to have a guy around that you used to play for, and you used to coach under. It seems like you might lose some of it being Bolt's team, and get a Bolt/Childress hybrid team. I think both are good coaches, and I think they both get along, but I really wonder about the power structure...maybe not the best time to have Childress around just as Bolt is trying to get his bearings as a HC. 

Baseball and golf seem to have similar mental hurdles and those mental hurdles can then create mechanical issues that in turn create more mental hurdles.  

You have to break things down to the basics and reset the mind.  Easy to say and oftentimes hard to do.  These guys were in deep trouble after losing the first series of the year.  They are putting more pressure on themselves and the results are poor mechanics, poor decisions and hesitation rather than skilled reaction.