Couple of Questions

Two questions: what will it take to see a Hoiberg Year 5?; and how do you think year 4 will go?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What will it take to see a Hoiberg Year 5?

• Work hard, show personal growth, have fun, be good citizens, and embrace 14th place
    • Double-figure wins, minimum
    • Gotta at least break even
    • NIT or it's Not Past Four
    • NCAA or bust
  2. 2. Given the roster and staff we've assembled, what's your best guess for next season's outcome?

• Nine or fewer. Embrace last place.
    • Low double-figure wins is probably the ceiling for this group.
    • Probably about a .500 team.
    • This looks like a solid NIT squad, maybe about 18 wins.
    • Primed for an NCAA run, baby.

We don't have many pieces at the moment. We have no idea how Keita will look against actual competition. Is he fast enough? Does he have good hands? 

It'd be nice to get Antonio Reeves as a scoring threat. 

Griesel

Reeves (possibly)

Trey (possibly)/Wilcher

Transfer 4/Breidenbach

Walker/Keita/Briedenbach

Not terrible, but not great. In that lineup our backcourt is definitely taller, but they leave alot to be desired defensively. Maybe a matchup zone from Howard will fix that. But when I think matchup zone I think teams with rosters like San Diego State, Baylor, Texas Tech. Not what we're seeing here. 

2 minutes ago, OmahaHusker said:

We don't have many pieces at the moment. We have no idea how Keita will look against actual competition. Is he fast enough? Does he have good hands? 

Griesel

Reeves (possibly)

Trey (possibly)/Wilcher

Transfer 4/Breidenbach

Walker/Keita/Briedenbach

Not terrible, but not great. In that lineup our backcourt is definitely taller, but they leave alot to be desired defensively. Maybe a matchup zone from Howard will fix that. But when I think matchup zone I think teams with rosters like San Diego State, Baylor, Texas Tech. Not what we're seeing here. 

giphy.gif

After years of disappointment, I vowed not to buy into any hyperbole this coming season.  I have no clue what the final roster will look like...but I am glad others seem to know.

I know my expectations are not tied to changes as we have no clue if player or staff changes will actually make a difference.   We can wish, hope, speculate or act like we know...but we won't really know until next season unfolds.  

Bottom line, win or go home.

Oh NO, Normy!!! 😮   Nice Try though!!!   I'm not drinking the image.png This year.  Irrational Exhuberance and Outlandish Expectations are what sunk last year's enthusiasm. Star City, Indeed!

(But that's not to say Fred Hoiberg can't capture some 'Lightning-in-a-bottle' though 💣). 

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Griesel

Reeves (possibly)

Trey (possibly)/Wilcher

Transfer 4/Breidenbach

Walker/Keita/Briedenbach

Yikes. I’m not excited about our roster in general. If we don’t get Reeves and Trey leaves we have to have a bottom 5 roster in all of P5 basketball, right?

29 minutes ago, hhcmatt said:

Between Hoiberg's salary and Trev Albert's track record there isn't a very high bar to clear for Hoiberg to see year 5.  

It looks to me the buyout was the primary factor in keeping Hoiberg. I think it will be the primary factor next year as well. I think this team will do a game or two better than this year. And we will then get to see it all over again in year 5 with another roster that looks nothing like the year before.

I think we need to get to .500 overall.  Even a little under that is 'improvement' but not sure that improvement is good enough in year 4 following the first 3 years.

As to what I think happens, I said .500 or so for now.   I'm somewhat assuming we keep McGowens and get Reeves.  It's tough to say for sure though until all the dominoes fall.

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

After a few years of being surprisingly BAD, maybe this is the year we’re surprisingly GOOD. I have a hunch Lat & Trey will BOTH be back & what if Keita proves to be a Monster & one of our Freshman guards “blows up”…??? So, maybe .500 

You lost me at Lat coming back.....🙃

I answered the first question with drunk optimism; "NCAA or bust" and the second question with the reality of going to Husker Men's games since 1978; "Nine or fewer. Embrace last place." Not going to drink the kool-aid this upcoming season...they tricked me with last season.